Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia is sucking the life out of me!

Nova Scotia is sucking the life out of me!

Old Apr 13th 2014, 5:29 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia is sucking the life out of me!

Originally Posted by manitobain
..so much has now been said of it being boring and not stimulating (doesn't seem much to matter which province?!) .. so what exactly does that mean? What is it, that had you stimulated and not bored in the UK?

Or is it simply city versus rural (and not so much the country you live in) ?

I came from rural (Germany) and moved to rural (over time have been in Quebec, SK and now MB) and found in every province I was able to do more than I would have ever being able to do/afford in Germany.
I didn't say it was boring but living in a more populated area does create more stimulation, there is more going on and more places to go, I swapped a small town uk for small city of about the same size in Alberta. For us Alberta has run its course, much of that is length of winter related as that means you are even more restricted in activities. We feel we have far less to do and our quality of life is less than it was in the UK despite higher wages and nicer home, material things do not necessarily make a life better.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:38 am
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lamin
I moved from Alberta for all those reasons, bored, depressed I think and the long endless winter------ and I skied twice a week.

Winnipeg and Edmonton I frequented regularly with work---- you couldn't pay me to live there.

BC-- bring cash!!!

About to give up on it all before homing in on NS, yes there are challenges but for us we have found our peice of Canada!!!!!

A day on a beautiful beach, feeling the sea breeze, walking the Halifax board walk, saying hello to a local and still chatting 20 minutes later, eating lobster, hiking or whale watching, having a house that comes with a parking space, watching the tall ships, tattoo, festivals, going to wineries, 45 minutes from skiing, deep sea fishing and a host of kids activities that they wouldn't, couldn't do so easily in the Uk------- batten down for the worst part of winter then enjoy the rest!!!

Everybody is different, with different needs and outlooks----- we found our place.

Will it be home for ever---- I doubt it as we explore and change but for now it suits and fits the requirements.

These are my thoughts exactly love NS nearly 7 years on - piece of heaven
Old Apr 13th 2014, 11:57 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianR
If you are a professional you will be subjected to the vagaries of the peculiarly Canadian obsession with 'credentialism'. There are diplomas, certificates, qualifications, licenses, permits, professional memberships etc for every type of work under the sun (except the aforementioned 'grunt work'). Some of them border on the ridiculous (Diploma in Office Management? Really?) and no doors will open to you without these credentials - unless you have someone on the inside.
or the certificate in hospitality, which is the most idiotic thing any school thought of, but its what employers want now, apparently a 6 month course better prepares someone then 10 years of direct experience in the industry.

I haven't figured out why some of these programs at colleges exist other then to make money for the school and create jobs for instructors.

I am in a smallish town in BC, hour away from Vancouver, and it can be pretty darn dull. Day's off are spent walking around Wal-Mart and other stores browsing, yep there are mountains, but I don't climb mountains so they are just pretty to look at and nothing else. The beach area in this town is nasty with left over industrial crap, we have no movie theater so can't even do that.

Now if you love the outdoors and outdoor sports, this is the place to live, if you don't like me, it can be pretty dull since there is jack all going on. I only move here for a job, I was unemployed in Vancouver and going nowhere job wise, so when one was offered here, I had to take it, and I am not staying by choice, just need the job so no choice but to stay.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Apr 13th 2014 at 12:02 pm.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Jericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond reputeJericho79 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
material things do not necessarily make a life better.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 1:42 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of things do people want for activities and stimulation? I would hate to be too far from galleries and museums and I do miss pubs and pub food, but otherwise the things I like to do, painting, reading, gardening, swimming, walking, can be done anywhere. Do children need to be entertained all the time? Shouldn't they be allowed to get bored? Entertain themselves?read?

Just wondering, no implied criticism.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 2:10 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
What kind of things do people want for activities and stimulation? I would hate to be too far from galleries and museums and I do miss pubs and pub food, but otherwise the things I like to do, painting, reading, gardening, swimming, walking, can be done anywhere. Do children need to be entertained all the time? Shouldn't they be allowed to get bored? Entertain themselves?read?

Spring finally arrived last week. Kids out playing street hockey and riding their bikes and skateboards. Quite a few people walk here all year round but there was a huge surge of walkers out last week. Great to feel the warmth of the sun that's for sure
Old Apr 13th 2014, 2:36 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
Spring finally arrived last week. Kids out playing street hockey and riding their bikes and skateboards. Quite a few people walk here all year round but there was a huge surge of walkers out last week. Great to feel the warmth of the sun that's for sure
Yep, same here. Suddenly everyone is outside.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 2:43 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats

The things I did in California, I can't do here. Namely going to the zoo, and Disneyland, along with going downtown and walking along the bay enjoying the sun. I'd also take short flights for the weekend to Phoenix, or Vegas, or San Francisco, and such. Can't do any of those things here.

I became more of a hermit in Canada, I spend most of time at home with my girlfriend, when I was married it was my wife, and when single, I spent my time alone.

I haven't made friends here for the most part, nobody I could call up and go do stuff with.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 2:58 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
or the certificate in hospitality, which is the most idiotic thing any school thought of, but its what employers want now, apparently a 6 month course better prepares someone then 10 years of direct experience in the industry.

I haven't figured out why some of these programs at colleges exist other then to make money for the school and create jobs for instructors.

I am in a smallish town in BC, hour away from Vancouver, and it can be pretty darn dull. Day's off are spent walking around Wal-Mart and other stores browsing, yep there are mountains, but I don't climb mountains so they are just pretty to look at and nothing else. The beach area in this town is nasty with left over industrial crap, we have no movie theater so can't even do that.

Now if you love the outdoors and outdoor sports, this is the place to live, if you don't like me, it can be pretty dull since there is jack all going on. I only move here for a job, I was unemployed in Vancouver and going nowhere job wise, so when one was offered here, I had to take it, and I am not staying by choice, just need the job so no choice but to stay.
You don't have to be a mountain climber to go up a mountain. There are trails and lakes. You should look online from a tourists point a view and you'll discover lots of places to visit. There's a beautiful world out there waiting to be experienced. I am sure there would also be groups in your area you could join. Sounds like you need something to ignite your spark
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

You don't have to be a mountain climber to go up a mountain. There are trails and lakes. You should look online from a tourists point a view and you'll discover lots of places to visit. There's a beautiful world out there waiting to be experienced. I am sure there would also be groups in your area you could join. Sounds like you need something to ignite your spark
I sleep during the day which creates a barrier.. ( I work graveyards, so sleep during the day, by the time I am up starting my day, everyone else is done for the day.)

My job is probably currently my biggest reason for not doing anything, I am up when everyone else is sleeping, and sleeping when everyone else is up.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:05 pm
Scottish Canuck

I sleep during the day which creates a barrier.. ( I work graveyards, so sleep during the day, by the time I am up starting my day, everyone else is done for the day.)

My job is probably currently my biggest reason for not doing anything, I am up when everyone else is sleeping, and sleeping when everyone else is up.
That's not an easy work schedule that for sure
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:09 pm
Account Closed

That's not an easy work schedule that for sure
No its not, and its really dragging me down. I can slowly feel the depression setting in again, but what can you do? I need a job so gotta keep at it.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:17 pm
Scottish Canuck

No its not, and its really dragging me down. I can slowly feel the depression setting in again, but what can you do? I need a job so gotta keep at it.
Time to start looking for a new job I think. Keep telling yourself you'll soon be out of there.

I would also recommend taking vitamin D. Lack of sunlight exposure drags you down. Vitamin D helps put a spring in your step and in the 4 years I have been taking it I have only had one cold. Very cheap to buy too.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:30 pm
limey party pooper

Ah, but look at what you have achieved. Left a jobless life in Ontario, moved to BC, got a job, a gf, somewhere to live. You've done well.
Old Apr 13th 2014, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anders101
It is starting to drive me slowly insane living here!
It is obviously not the place for you. Good luck with the move.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Apr 13th 2014 at 4:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.