British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Nova Scotia is sucking the life out of me! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/nova-scotia-sucking-life-out-me-831084/)

anders101 Apr 15th 2014 2:22 am

Re: Nova Scotia is sucking the life out of me!

Originally Posted by phr1 (Post 11219228)
very funny indeed! Enjoyed this a lot (sorry to be entertained on behalf of your suffering..) Good thing you did not loose your sense of humour in NS..

We travelled to NS for two weeks with the kids on a roadtrip from Toronto and thought it was pretty, but I have seen better places before, Cape Breton was nice.. can't find more exciting words than that.. Its just nice kind of place.
I feel almost the same in Toronto and seriously considering going back to London for the same reasons you have described.
You sound pretty desperate beyond the jokes so my advise to you - Leave! As fast as you can!!! In fact, why are you still there??
By the way, if you don't mind me asking, how old are your kids and would you consider going back to the UK?

Thank you for your kind words..... We Would not go back to the UK just now. The time is just not right for us. My son graduates school this year and has a clear goal ahead of him and has tailored his Canadian subjects to match. My OH and I have also just spent so much time and money getting requalified here, that I think it would be a shame to put that to waste now after all the effort' I am optimistic for the future and our move to Ontario. Things should be much improved when OH gets to a new company and the kids are excited for the move. (Neither of them want to go back to the UK)

I am retaining my sense of humour and being positive. I am sure things will be okay. I have friends here to have a good old chinwag with, and that always makes you feel better!
I hope you manage to make a decision too. I think I read your other thread and you have a lot of decisions to make. Good luck with whatever you decide and if it doesn't work, change it again...lol!

Sue Apr 15th 2014 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by Bellanova (Post 11219200)
I think it's very rude considering you know someone that lives there and also someone that's is supposed to be your friend. :frown:

I know a lot of people who live in places I don't like. It doesn't mean we are being rude to the people who live there if we state that we don't like a place. My hubby hates the place I was born and raised in, but I don't take it personally, that's just how he feels. He still loves me ;)

We are entitled to our opinions and as long as they are shared respectfully, as was done here, there is nothing wrong with saying so. Please don't turn a sharing of an opinion (that was not directed at another person in a mean manner) into something it was not.

Thanks

BristolUK Apr 15th 2014 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Sue (Post 11219859)
I know a lot of people who live in places I don't like. It doesn't mean we are being rude to the people who live there if we state that we don't like a place.

Am I the only one who thinks that expressing happiness at not being the sort of person that likes a place being criticised sounds more rude than just criticising a place?

Howefamily Apr 15th 2014 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11220035)
Am I the only one who thinks that expressing happiness at not being the sort of person that likes a place being criticised sounds more rude than just criticising a place?

you're not the only one...

The4BellsLondon Apr 15th 2014 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 11220035)

Am obviously tired COs that made no sense at all to me ! Lol

confused_uk Apr 15th 2014 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 11220075)
Am obviously tired COs that made no sense at all to me ! Lol

Lol, I thought it was me being stupid, I've re-read a few times & still don't get it

confused_uk Apr 15th 2014 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Bellanova (Post 11219133)
That's so rude to anyone that lives there! I really don't think there's any need for that :frown:

A tad hypocritical on your part I think

christmasoompa Apr 15th 2014 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by confused_uk (Post 11220083)
Lol, I thought it was me being stupid, I've re-read a few times & still don't get it

Neither do I, but can everybody please cut out the personal digs. You can't expect to get on with everybody in real life and the same applies to a forum - if there's somebody that bothers you then just ignore them.

Right, thread back on track please! Ta muchly.

The4BellsLondon Apr 15th 2014 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11220088)
Neither do I, but can everybody please cut out the personal digs. You can't expect to get on with everybody in real life and the same applies to a forum - if there's somebody that bothers you then just ignore them.

Right, thread back on track please! Ta muchly.

I'm not digging ! I just thought it was amusing that It made no sense to me , although that can be a common problem on my part !

christmasoompa Apr 15th 2014 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 11220107)
I'm not digging ! I just thought it was amusing that It made no sense to me , although that can be a common problem on my part !

I never claimed you were (makes a change ;):lol:), but various others have been, and I'm sure the OP is wondering what on earth is going on with all this petty squabbling and digs at each other.

So again, back on track please peeps..............

The4BellsLondon Apr 15th 2014 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 11220112)
I never claimed you were (makes a change ;):lol:), but various others have been, and I'm sure the OP is wondering what on earth is going on with all this petty squabbling and digs at each other.

So again, back on track please peeps..............

Was that a dig ? ;)

christmasoompa Apr 15th 2014 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon (Post 11220126)
Was that a dig ? ;)

:lol:

DandNHill Apr 15th 2014 8:22 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 11218341)
As a Canadian said to me the other day. "Canadians are polite not friendly. Americans are friendly"

I like that...yes, it describes very much the feeling I got...

DandNHill Apr 15th 2014 8:44 pm

All things considered, and having lived in NS for nearly 3 years, I can't see us growing old here...
It's a lovely, laid back, friendly province but there is a lack of buzz, a certain "je ne sais quoi" is missing that I am looking for!

One day I can see us leaving and heading west...how far remains to be determined but we're adventurous so who knows...

When I look at how I am getting itchy feet, I realise that I behave in the same way as I do with jobs. Once the novelty of a job has worn off (somewhere around 12 to 18 months) I start to look around...so maybe I am doomed to be the eternal wanderer, until my body can no longer keep up with my mind :o

family_of_4 Apr 15th 2014 11:48 pm

So i've been off here a while but I thought I’d share our experience. We moved to rural NS nearly 12mths ago, and this is how it’s gone so far.
Our 1st Winter was brutal but we survived just about, lol.
We are broke, we knew we weren't rich to start with but we thought we'd have enough to see us through longer, but that wasn't factoring in snow tires, car troubles, jobs etc.
So we managed to get jobs pretty quickly, they were minimum wage. I worked FT and my OH got seasonal work. Over the Xmas period we struggled financially to the point if someone had offered me a flight home id have gone whether my family came with me or not. But over the past couple of months things are looking brighter, I’ve just got a new job and it’s over the minimum wage, yay me. My other half has also got a new job, still minimum wage but its full time. We weren’t professionals in the UK but earned a decent amount and never really struggled. For any newbies reading this be open minded, Rome wasn’t built in a day. Neither of us are working in our old field of work but we’ve now given ourselves a 3 year plan to try and get the jobs we want. Here it is about who you know, my advice is chat to the locals when you go to the store (that’s how I got my new job) visit your local social club once a week and get chatting with the locals. If you send 100 resumes in with no response, do not give up.
So the teenagers, what can I say, they are excelling at school, one is very social and lapping up the attention he's getting from the girls, they love his accent and he's gone from an average soccer player to the best at school and club (they really aren't that good here) but it’s done his confidence wonders. The older one is the quiet type and it’s taken a while but he now has a small group of friends, who don't speak, and lack personality but he and his social circle were the same in the UK.
Winter has been hard we were hoping to ski and be activities galore but well we only just managed food so anything social went out the window, however as a family we are closer than ever, we all snow shovel together and boy we have a big drive, walk the dogs together, we eat together (everynight), we talk more than ever before. Yes they still spend time on social networking and computers, thay are teenagers but they seem happier and have no intention of going back to the UK.
People are helpful and friendly, we’ve been welcomed by everyone we’ve come into contact with, it’s nice.
We’ve just renewed our lease for another year and yes the kids wanted to stay out rural even though we had a vote on whether to move closer to town. So were settling in here, we still have a lot of NS to explore and will over the next few years. Will we stay here for life, probably not I think once the boys have grown up we may have a bit of an adventure and maybe try out some other provinces. Unless your close to the city it is an old fashioned place and not for everyone but for us right now it’s starting to become home. Overall do I regret the move, hell no, and when I get home sick I just watch some Jeremy kyle on player and it re confirms why we came in the 1st place, lol.