British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Nova Scotia: Shelburne or Yarmouth? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/nova-scotia-shelburne-yarmouth-445488/)

Eden Apr 27th 2007 2:46 pm

Nova Scotia: Shelburne or Yarmouth?

I would be grateful for views on whether Shelburne or Yarmouth would have more to offer for an overnight stop on a quick tour around the south end of NS in July. Would also be interested in any suggestions for a nice town to stop in on the Evangeline trail. Thanks :thumbsup:

Halifax harpie Apr 27th 2007 4:09 pm

Re: Nova Scotia: Shelburne or Yarmouth?

Personally, would have to say Shelburne is probably the prettier place to stay. Not much in Yarmouth - apart from the seaweed!
Digby is a nice place to stay on your way back. We've stayed at The Pines a couple of times, but there are lots of little B&B's, hotels, motels around that way. Annapolis Royal is also worth a visit, the Queen Anne is our favourite place there.
Don't know if you've seen this website - www.destination-ns.com
has lots of information. Might be some useful things on there for you to follow up.

Eden Apr 28th 2007 9:33 am

Thanks for the help, I thought Shelburne looked nicer. :)

Corky Apr 29th 2007 2:20 am

Well now....my opinion is different but then it really depends on what you want to do. Shelburne used to be a busy town but not anymore. It is pretty but there is nothing to do there. except have a walk on the water front and see some touristy things there and that propably takes all of an hour or a bit more. Yarmouth isn't as pretty but is much busier and close to some very nice quaint places along the way to Digby. Get off the main highway at Yarmouth and head towards Digby on the shore road. You go through some quaint Acadian villages and it is so pretty. It is a bit slower going that way to Digby but much prettier. I guess it all depends what you want to do. Shelburne used to be a busy town but when the military closed up the base there then Shelburne Marine closed and then the fish plant, then you could buy property so cheap cause there was nothing there. Then they made the movie the Scarlet letter there and it picked up abit for awhile. The area has attracted alot of Europeans cause the property is cheap.

Eden Apr 29th 2007 9:16 am

Thanks Corky, I would like to wait and see on the road ideally but I am afraid everything will be booked up as it is such a busy time. Do you think that is likely to be the case with motels and b&bs in these places?

Halifax harpie Apr 29th 2007 2:32 pm

It's not as busy as it used to be, especially now that the Americans need passports to get here by air and there are not as many American visitors as there used to be, but July is probably the busiest month of the year here in Nova Scotia for things to do and see, so I wouldn't risk it. At some of the bigger places you can cancel your reservation up to 4 pm the day you are staying, so it might be worth looking at that, and cancelling if you find something along the way.

third time lucky Apr 29th 2007 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Eden (Post 4705764)
I would be grateful for views on whether Shelburne or Yarmouth would have more to offer for an overnight stop on a quick tour around the south end of NS in July. Would also be interested in any suggestions for a nice town to stop in on the Evangeline trail. Thanks :thumbsup:

Its a shame that more people don't make a point of visiting Annapolis Royal
on the Evangeline Trail. It is the birthplace of Canada. The oldest settlement
was established in 1605 by Champlain and there is a lot of history and
interesting places to visit there. Port Royal is a reconstructed fort on the very site where white man landed. Fort Anne has a great view of the Annapolis Basin. There are some very nice B&Bs in Annapolis Royal,
including The Carriage House B&B (owned by a British ex-pat!!)

Eden Apr 30th 2007 8:36 am

Thanks all, very helpful. I think your advice about booking larger places and then cancelling before 4 pm if necessary is a good idea and gives us that choice. Roll on July! :thumbup:

third time lucky Apr 30th 2007 11:44 am

Originally Posted by Eden (Post 4717080)
Thanks all, very helpful. I think your advice about booking larger places and then cancelling before 4 pm if necessary is a good idea and gives us that choice. Roll on July! :thumbup:

I would check to see what the cancellation policy for the hotel is.
As far as I know, most require 48 hours notice, or they will charge your credit card.

val50 Apr 30th 2007 11:55 am

Originally Posted by third time lucky (Post 4717743)
I would check to see what the cancellation policy for the hotel is.
As far as I know, most require 48 hours notice, or they will charge your credit card.

check out this website. They allow you to cancel up to 6 pm on the day you are due to stay. There is a Comfort Hotel in Yarmouth http://www.choicehotels.ca

Eden Apr 30th 2007 2:31 pm

Many thanks. I am having great fun looking at all these accommodations and trying to plan the stopovers. Is one way more scenic than the other, would you suggest doing the Annapolis Valley/Fundy coast first from Halifax and back around through the Lighthouse route? Or am I really over-thinking this! :D

Halifax harpie Apr 30th 2007 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by Eden (Post 4718387)
Many thanks. I am having great fun looking at all these accommodations and trying to plan the stopovers. Is one way more scenic than the other, would you suggest doing the Annapolis Valley/Fundy coast first from Halifax and back around through the Lighthouse route? Or am I really over-thinking this! :D

much of a muchness really. We always go Halifax- Annapolis-Yarmouth then back on the 103 to Halifax, but that's because it fits in with my husbands work schedule. Quite a few people though reckon the 101 is the better road, more accidents on the 103, so might be worth you going down that way to Yarmouth and then back on the 101, stopping at Digby or Annopolis on the way back.

Corky Apr 30th 2007 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Halifax harpie (Post 4718473)
much of a muchness really. We always go Halifax- Annapolis-Yarmouth then back on the 103 to Halifax, but that's because it fits in with my husbands work schedule. Quite a few people though reckon the 101 is the better road, more accidents on the 103, so might be worth you going down that way to Yarmouth and then back on the 101, stopping at Digby or Annopolis on the way back.

Oh my goodness..........The 101 highway is famous for its accidents, has been for many many years. Recently they have started to do construction on it to make it a 4 lane highway in some parts but it isn't finished yet. So probably run into road construction this summer.