British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Nova Scotia Road Trip (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/nova-scotia-road-trip-307205/)

liftman Jun 6th 2005 10:02 pm

Nova Scotia Road Trip

I'm headed over with the family in september, and I am now starting route planning in earnest.

There are certain thing we would like to do.

Gold Panning
Whale Watching
See the Mooseheads win
Shop (Mrs Liftman)
Fishing (Me)

Anyone any good ideas for any of these activities?

MooseHead Jun 10th 2005 2:58 pm

Re: Nova Scotia Road Trip

Originally Posted by liftman
I'm headed over with the family in september, and I am now starting route planning in earnest.

There are certain thing we would like to do.

Gold Panning
Whale Watching
See the Mooseheads win
Shop (Mrs Liftman)
Fishing (Me)

Anyone any good ideas for any of these activities?

Hi Liftman,

Gold Panning: There's a festival in Waverley in September to celebrate the discovery of Gold there. There's sure to be some events & entertainment organised. I think you can do it some parks as well.

Whale Watching: Best in the Bay of Fundy area, you're near the end of the season which finishes October. Lots of companies running trips.

Mooseheads: Make sure they're at home while you're there. We went in November and they were on the road the whole time we were there.

Shop: I would say Halifax, but depends what sort of shopping you are after. Some of the small towns have some stores selling great local goods.

Fishing: Don't know, I've never fished.

Ask for the Nova Scotia "Doers and Dreamers Travel Guide". Mine's gone missing but I remember it was really usefull for our trip.

Hope this is some help !!

Corky Jun 10th 2005 5:10 pm

Hey Lifty hows it going? So you guys are coming for a hoilday this time...instead of a job hunt.
Well try going to Joggins and looking for fossils and such, They also have a very interesting museum there to have alook at. It is great fun to walk along the beach and look at the high cliffs.
As for fishing...well what kind of fishing do you want to do? there are people who rent thier fishing boats out for tours and you could do so sea fishing. As for lake fishing well we have restrictions on that...you would have to buy a fishing licence and it would be an vistor permit and quite expensive for a day...so stick to sea fishing.
They do gold panning at the Ovens and there is also a big Gold panning assocition so yu could possibly do that...all though I find it quite boring!!! So I just accompany the old feller when he goes!
As for shopping well didn't you give MicMacMall a try last year? Also Halifax shopping center.
How about Whitewater rafting in the Shubenacadie Canal....are you up to that. I hear it is always fun.
Where ya staying this time...not the do duck inn I presume! Will you be doing lots of travelling around this time?
Hope this helps abit...but you can always email us!

Hi Moosehead....hows it going?

MooseHead Jun 10th 2005 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Corky
Hey Lifty hows it going? So you guys are coming for a hoilday this time...instead of a job hunt.
Well try going to Joggins and looking for fossils and such, They also have a very interesting museum there to have alook at. It is great fun to walk along the beach and look at the high cliffs.
As for fishing...well what kind of fishing do you want to do? there are people who rent thier fishing boats out for tours and you could do so sea fishing. As for lake fishing well we have restrictions on that...you would have to buy a fishing licence and it would be an vistor permit and quite expensive for a day...so stick to sea fishing.
They do gold panning at the Ovens and there is also a big Gold panning assocition so yu could possibly do that...all though I find it quite boring!!! So I just accompany the old feller when he goes!
As for shopping well didn't you give MicMacMall a try last year? Also Halifax shopping center.
How about Whitewater rafting in the Shubenacadie Canal....are you up to that. I hear it is always fun.
Where ya staying this time...not the do duck inn I presume! Will you be doing lots of travelling around this time?
Hope this helps abit...but you can always email us!

Hi Moosehead....hows it going?

Hi Corky, Stressfull - we're just waiting on med results so any day now hopefully! Can't wait to get back to NS, feel like we're away from home all the time!!