British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Nova Scotia Reccie (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/nova-scotia-reccie-444628/)

Eden Apr 24th 2007 1:01 pm

Nova Scotia Reccie

I saw some of the earlier thread on the subject of road trips in NS but wondered if anyone had a view of the Lighthouse Route vs the Marine Route. We won't have time to do both and wondered which would be better (mostly looking for scenery, pretty towns and good food). Also, we are planning to explore Halifax and its environs for a few days and would appreciate any tips on the best hotels to stay downtown. We are coming over for a visit in July. Many thanks.:)

Corky Apr 24th 2007 2:23 pm

Re: Nova Scotia Reccie

Why don't you try doing the Lighthouse route one day, seeing Peggys Cove and Lunenburg and mahone Bay. You could carry on and stay in shelburne or Yarmouth. Then the next day head up to the Annapolis Valley and have a browse around there then back to Halifax. How long have you got to see NS?

Eden Apr 24th 2007 2:36 pm

We are staying for a week - we are thinking we might spend the first two days in Halifax itself and then go touring around for three and then back to Halifax for last two to drive around the various neighbourhoods to see what they are like. Thanks for the advice. :)

or4ngecrush Apr 24th 2007 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by Eden (Post 4690535)
We are staying for a week - we are thinking we might spend the first two days in Halifax itself and then go touring around for three and then back to Halifax for last two to drive around the various neighbourhoods to see what they are like. Thanks for the advice. :)

I went to Halifax for a week in October 2006 and spent 4 days in HRM then drove up to New Glasgow and from there I went to Truro, Cape Breton, Pictou (to see the Hector) and then back down to Halifax on the date of leaving.

I stayed in the Country Inns and Suites in Dartmouth and they have a branch in New Glasgow too.

Emma

Eden Apr 25th 2007 8:57 am

Thanks for the info Emma. Did you decide that NS is for you or are you going to look at other cities?

Halifax harpie Apr 25th 2007 12:25 pm

Think if you only have a short time here, the Lighthouse route would be the best one to take. Much more to see in Lunenburg and Mahone Bay, although we love the drive from Halifax to Sheet Harbour.but as Corky says, drive back from Yarmouth via Annapolis/Bay of Fundy. My husband regularly drives from Halifax to Cornwallis and Yarmouth in a day. The Queen Anne, a B&B in Annapolis is well worth a visit, if you can get a room.
We stayed at the Marriott and Cambridge Suite hotels in Halifax, both were fine. The Westin and Delta are also down by the waterfront, Holiday Inn is more on the outskirts, closer to the universities etc. Depends how much you want to spend really. Also stayed at the Ramada in Dartmouth, which was good. Quite a few motels along the Bedford Highway (Bluenose, Esquire) that have good views of the Basin and bridges.
July is one of the busiest times of year here, especially with the Tatoo, so would be best to book accommodation before you come. If you check out http://www.halifaxinfo.com/ it will give you lots of info about events, accommodation etc.

Eden Apr 25th 2007 4:43 pm

Marvellous, thank you. I have been keeping my eye on hotel prices and, as you say, things are getting booked up. Better get on with it. :)

or4ngecrush Apr 25th 2007 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Eden (Post 4694295)
Thanks for the info Emma. Did you decide that NS is for you or are you going to look at other cities?

NS is definately for me. :)