Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia places similar to BC Gulf Islands but with people

Nova Scotia places similar to BC Gulf Islands but with people

Old Mar 21st 2014, 11:47 pm
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nova Scotia places similar to BC Gulf Islands but with people

Can anyone compare NS with the upper Gulf Islands area of BC?
I have to get out of here, but my hubby likes the rural -ality.
I need more people and a town might be nice. And I hate the hippie culture.and the dirt. Did I say I hate the dirt?

Anyway. Any comments on towns, hippies, back to the earthers, and being able to have a normal life in NS? We are retired, but my hubby still works and I am left alone for 50% of the time. I need towns and people.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 1:09 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia places similar to BC Gulf Islands but with people

Originally Posted by deltadeliquent
I need more people and a town might be nice. And I hate the hippie culture.and the dirt. Did I say I hate the dirt?

Anyway. Any comments on towns, hippies, back to the earthers, and being able to have a normal life in NS? We are retired, but my hubby still works and I am left alone for 50% of the time. I need towns and people.
I moved your post to a thread of it's own as the title (Ontario>NS) doesn't really apply to your questions. If you need the title changed, just let one of the Mods know.

Good to see you back, by the way!

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 1:18 am
Forum Regular

deltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond reputedeltadeliquent has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 2:08 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

They are hippies aren't they! We supply ice cream to a couple of the Islands through the summer and the "right on - is it Kosher? is it gluten free? can it bring about world peace?" stuff drives me nuts!
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I think NS might be a good fit for you guys (I've read your other threads). It's is quiet and rural, but there are lots of small communities and people are very friendly. I'm not aware of any hippy culture here! (It's probably here somewhere but I've not come across it yet). We stay in the Valley, in a small town, there are always lots of sausage breakfasts and pancake dinners and the like if you want a way to meet new people. You can live in the countryside, near deserted beaches, and yet be an hour from Halifax.
Personally, I think NS is a great place to live rurally but in reach of amenities. We have bald eagles flying over the house, coyotes howling at night, raccoons on the deck, and yet I'm 5mins walk from a wee supermarket and 20mins drive from large supermarkets, towns and a cinema.

There are those on here who dislike Nova Scotia and are vocal about it, but there are also a lot of us who love it
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

Izzi, I can't tell you how wonderful that sounds.
Just to be able to get to a shop would be a big improvement.
Can I PM you about NS.
It's crazy shopping for a place to move on the Internet. But it's all I have right now, until my hubby gets some time off.
I'm a frustrated artist too....
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 2:29 am
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, I'd love to help as much as I can
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

I too love NS. I live on the border so have easy access to NB as well. I guess a lot will depend on what sort of work you would be looking for to where would be ideal for you to live
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Deva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of lightDeva is a glorious beacon of light

We also live in the Valley and after struggling to settle in we are now very happy to be here.

NS offers some great rural living close to small towns. Just chose your town carefully as many are very sleepy, especially in the off season. We looked at a few places and picked Wolfville because it is not too far from Halifax and the local university gives the place a bit of life. If I wanted to be rural near Wolfville I would look for acreage in the Gaspereau Valley.

I'd be happy to help if you have any questions.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 4:32 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

So the relationship issues have been solved or is this a band aid move ?
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 4:50 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

so there's no chance you could return to the UK? what about a more rural bit of the UK?
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 5:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
So the relationship issues have been solved or is this a band aid move ?
Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
so there's no chance you could return to the UK? what about a more rural bit of the UK?
Could we please stick to the subject of this thread, rather than rehash previous threads that have been removed by request.

Thank you.

Old Mar 22nd 2014, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute

What about the Sechelts very similar but had a bit more to offer and not a big move either. I enjoyed it there.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 7:14 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

They're disgusting people and very smelly, especially when its raining.
Old Mar 22nd 2014, 7:27 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Could we please stick to the subject of this thread, rather than rehash previous threads that have been removed by request.

Thank you.

Bit pointless moving if the issues are the same ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.