Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia or Okanagan?

Nova Scotia or Okanagan?

Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:31 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nova Scotia or Okanagan?

Hi, we are at initial stages and trying to decide where to go to in Canada and therefore where to visit first. We are considering both Nova Scotia and Okanagan.
Nova Scotia for the house prices and mainly architecture and also the distance from the UK and Okanagan for the seemingly warm temperatures. At this stage both seem to have pros and cons but my main question is, is a "cool summer" in Nova Scotia similiar to UK summers? Also, does anyone know who has moved there, I would love to read their blog and see their entries on both winter and summer. I have read a blog on Kelowna in Okanagan and it all looks lovely.
Oh decisions decisions!
And then of course we need to start looking for a job...........
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia or Okanagan?

Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post
Hi, we are at initial stages and trying to decide where to go to in Canada and therefore where to visit first. We are considering both Nova Scotia and Okanagan.
Nova Scotia for the house prices and mainly architecture and also the distance from the UK and Okanagan for the seemingly warm temperatures. At this stage both seem to have pros and cons but my main question is, is a "cool summer" in Nova Scotia similiar to UK summers? Also, does anyone know who has moved there, I would love to read their blog and see their entries on both winter and summer. I have read a blog on Kelowna in Okanagan and it all looks lovely.
Oh decisions decisions!
And then of course we need to start looking for a job...........
Last summer In NS I had to sit for weeks with my feet in buckets of cold water with ice cubes in to try to keep cool

we had very regular temps of over 100 degrees upper 90's for weeks on end

who says canada is cold the summer was months of roasting hot weather!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:49 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Thankyou so much - that is music to my ears.

Do you live there? Do you have any advise you can give me? I am an accountant and OH is a police investigator, we have two small children, 4 and 2 and are after a better quality of life and less yob behaviour

Thanks!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:09 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily View Post
Thankyou so much - that is music to my ears.

Do you live there? Do you have any advise you can give me? I am an accountant and OH is a police investigator, we have two small children, 4 and 2 and are after a better quality of life and less yob behaviour

Thanks!
I've lived in both places and would pick NS everytime!

I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old and they love it here! Yes summers are hotter in the OK and more or less guaranteed sunshine every day, but contrary to popular belief we do actually get lots of sunshine here in NS as well!!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 4:52 pm
Happy

Thank you so much, This helps in such a huge way!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

chumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond reputechumley has a reputation beyond repute

zero yob behaviour and our village is full of vineyeards so that tells you how hot it is
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Coming up to our first year here and we love it. At times we had very hot weather with plenty of blue skies and then over the last month of so plenty of snow which has kept dh and the 4 dogs happy (well you don't think I am going out ) Temps ranged from I think highest was in the 40's during the summer to a few days of -28 although average seems to be -3 to -18 during the winter months. We have also seen some of the best sunrises and sunsets

Couple of pictures just to give an idea.
Attached Thumbnails Nova Scotia or Okanagan?-cimg0961.jpg   Nova Scotia or Okanagan?-cimg0823.jpg  
Old Feb 26th 2009, 10:14 am
Happy

Hi
Thanks for all your input. Do you have any advice on areas to look at in Nova Scotia?
What does everyone do in the winter? Do people "hunker down" or are there outdoors activities that people get involved in?

Thanks
Old Feb 26th 2009, 11:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

Think it depends on work. We was lucky that dh would be working from home so could pick here we wanted. We knew we would be buying a house straight away as we was bringing our dogs with us and knew it would be hard to rent. We made a criteria on what we wanted, trawled through mls for weeks looking at what fitted and then on a map put all the dots and Cumberland country came tops. When I came out to look at some house I also felt more at home here. Still getting our bearings but there does seem to be stuff to do although not having kids and not into skiing we haven't done as much as we could

I think best thing if you can is visit both places and get your own feeling
Old Feb 26th 2009, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

Hi,

We live on the North Shore about of NS. As i type its -17, blue skies and bright sunshine and not a cloud in the sky. We have had plenty of days like this over the course of the winter as well as heaps of snow.

Ski Wentworth is 20 mins away if you like that type of thing.
Snow shoeing maybe? Did that the other day with a load of kids at the Tim Hortons camp.

Loads of activities to do in the winter if you look for them and want to get involved in the community. You wont have a problem here in the winter.

It also got very hot for a time last summer although didn't think it was the best summer we've ever had.

Good luck