British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/nova-scotia-just-read-concerned-790669/)

Beedhamrobert May 13th 2013 5:29 pm

Re: Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Hey it's great reading your conversation here. I hope you don't mind me jumping in. My wife and I live in rural north Wales so are used to it being quiet. As long as we can drive to a supermarket once in a while I'm sure we could survive. We also have a 2 and half year old son who loves the outdoors and need to get out the uk for his sake as he doesn't stand a chance here any more with all peer pressure that will be around from ba influences.

Ill have to look up the towns/provinces you mentioned and see what we can find. I like you are happy to give up my career and try anything for a better life and so is my wife.

I hope we all end up happy :-)

dbd33 May 13th 2013 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Beedhamrobert (Post 10706256)
Hey it's great reading your conversation here. I hope you don't mind me jumping in. My wife and I live in rural north Wales so are used to it being quiet. As long as we can drive to a supermarket once in a while I'm sure we could survive. We also have a 2 and half year old son who loves the outdoors and need to get out the uk for his sake as he doesn't stand a chance here any more with all peer pressure that will be around from ba influences.

Are the sheep on crack?

Surely one rural place is much the same as another, there's no more bad influences in one field than another field. It's only in an urban context that one can reasonably say that one area has more bad influences than another.

Beedhamrobert May 13th 2013 7:02 pm

Haha no not the sheep I meant the general attitude of the British kids and way the country is going in general.

christmasoompa May 13th 2013 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Beedhamrobert (Post 10706368)
Haha no not the sheep I meant the general attitude of the British kids and way the country is going in general.

What's wrong with British kids? :confused: How are they any different to the ones in Canada?

Beedhamrobert May 13th 2013 7:08 pm

No not at all. In fact the most are really nice unfortunately the minority seem to spoil it and give the rest a bad name :-(

Problem being that parents and teachers don't seem to teach right from wrong nowadays.

Siouxie May 13th 2013 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by Beedhamrobert (Post 10706378)
No not at all. In fact the most are really nice unfortunately the minority seem to spoil it and give the rest a bad name :-(

Problem being that parents and teachers don't seem to teach right from wrong nowadays.

I think that applies equally across the globe, unfortunately.

Oink May 13th 2013 7:29 pm

I’m not trying to scaremonger but you have to realize that ‘rural’ in North America is not going to be some sort of Waldenesque idyll. The long winters, boredom and isolation fuel rampant drug scenes consisting of mainly, pot, crystal meth and prescription pill abuse. It’s not pretty.

dbd33 May 13th 2013 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10706413)
I’m not trying to scaremonger but you have to realize that ‘rural’ in North America is not going to be some sort of Waldenesque idyll. The long winters, boredom and isolation fuel rampant drug scenes consisting of mainly, pot, crystal meth and prescription pill abuse.

And acts of senseless vandalism. This very weekend someone, kids I suppose, took an axe to our mail box. At the old house someone shot the mail box, I didn't think that malicious, probably just drunk teens driving along shooting at things, many rural road signs have bullet holes in them, but an indicator that rural Canada isn't all about snowshoeing and quilting.

ExKiwilass May 13th 2013 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10706425)
And acts of senseless vandalism. This very weekend someone, kids I suppose, took an axe to our mail box. At the old house someone shot the mail box, I didn't think that malicious, probably just drunk teens driving along shooting at things, many rural road signs have bullet holes in them, but an indicator that rural Canada isn't all about snowshoeing and quilting.

In Surrey, BC, they like to use the rural areas to dump bodies :thumbup:

christmasoompa May 13th 2013 7:48 pm

What are you basing your comments on? Do you have an older school age child as well as the 2 year old? If so, does their school really not teach right from wrong? That's very odd, our schools (in the UK) have school rules that are all 'treat each other with respect' type things, they give prizes for manners, children aren't allowed to start eating until everybody has got their meal or leave the table until all have finished, they have lessons on bullying, etc, etc.

Tbh, the schools now seem far tougher than when I was at school. We didn't even have detentions then! :lol:

Oink May 13th 2013 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10706439)
What are you basing your comments on? Do you have an older school age child as well as the 2 year old? If so, does their school really not teach right from wrong? That's very odd, our schools (in the UK) have school rules that are all 'treat each other with respect' type things, they give prizes for manners, children aren't allowed to start eating until everybody has got their meal or leave the table until all have finished, they have lessons on bullying, etc, etc.

Tbh, the schools now seem far tougher than when I was at school. We didn't even have detentions then! :lol:

The first week of school I got two stars with my name on them and some sweets, one for balancing my peas on the correct side of the fork and the other for placing my cutlery neatly on the plate after the meal. TBH with the second one, I used to eat so fast I had a lot of time to line them up.

christmasoompa May 13th 2013 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10706476)
The first week of school I got two stars with my name on them and some sweets, one for balancing my peas on the correct side of the fork and the other for placing my cutlery neatly on the plate after the meal. TBH with the second one, I used to eat so fast I had a lot of time to line them up.

Oooh, get you.

My daughter has just got an award from the school cafe staff for 'always being so complimentary about our food and a pleasure to serve, we look forward to seeing your smiling face every day'. I kid you not.

Although I think the fact that we've not had a kitchen at home for 2 years may have something to do with it, poor thing's probably just grateful for a decent meal.

Oink May 13th 2013 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10706486)
Oooh, get you.

My daughter has just got an award from the school cafe staff for 'always being so complimentary about our food and a pleasure to serve, we look forward to seeing your smiling face every day'. I kid you not.

Although I think the fact that we've not had a kitchen at home for 2 years may have something to do with it, poor thing's probably just grateful for a decent meal.

:rofl:

Good, its about standards. Would it hurt Canadian kids to go to school in some type of uniform? I can't see going to school in your pyjamas or a tracksuit would be conducive to serious learning.

christmasoompa May 13th 2013 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Oink (Post 10706496)
:rofl:

Believe it or not, I really did mean decent meal. Everything's organic, grown at the school or from the local farm shop and tastes delicious. Even the bloody bread's homemade!

Not sure what's wrong with grey mince, overlooked veg and soggy semolina like I used to have? Kids of today don't know what they're missing.

Btw, do you think pyjamas are conducive to serious work? Not that I ever work from home in my pj's of course. Oh no. Ahem.

family_of_4 May 13th 2013 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Beedhamrobert (Post 10705076)
Hi family of 4

We haven't been out on a recee just yet were hoping to be on our trip next month and try and spend a couple weeks travelling.

I really hope we like it there. What did you think?

Rob and Marie

Hi, were you hoping to apply through the community identified stream or another route? If so it is closing on the 5th july. There will be a new stream but details are to follow, check the nova scotia immigration website.