Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Old May 20th 2013, 2:57 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Originally Posted by heading-west
I live rural - 1.5 hours from the city, dandnhill lives 3 hours away from me - even more rurally!

On our original plan was a move to the Lanark highlands on ON, instead we consciously chose the rural communities of the South Shore of NS. We have been here 18 months, its been one long learning curve after another, but we have no regrets and certainly would not go back to UK in a hurry (except for the odd wedding or funeral). We keep chickens and turkeys and have a couple of bee hives too.

Networking and making your niche in the local community are key to survival here for sure.

We love it!
Gosh, I truly take my hat off to you! I have lived in a number of out of the way places in my life, but Canada scares me with just it's sheer size. We took our kid to 'a thing' in a provincial park on Saturday and took the wrong turning and 80kms later we got back to Fredericton an hour later than scheduled to pick him up. I can't imagine the idea of being so far away from everybody else....what appeals? I too like my neighbours not being attached, but don't you just get scared!
Old May 20th 2013, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Gosh, I truly take my hat off to you! I have lived in a number of out of the way places in my life, but Canada scares me with just it's sheer size. We took our kid to 'a thing' in a provincial park on Saturday and took the wrong turning and 80kms later we got back to Fredericton an hour later than scheduled to pick him up. I can't imagine the idea of being so far away from everybody else....what appeals? I too like my neighbours not being attached, but don't you just get scared!
There is some civilization where we live... We are 30 mins out of town with just a small store within 10 minutes. I have scared myself rotten a couple of times taking the wrong turn and had visions of my car being surrounded by coyotes all eager to take a chunk out of me! The cell coverage is terrible out of town so you can't even rely on your phone to call for help!
We came here because of the job... I was really worried at first and felt so far away from life but we're not alone... There are some really nice people around and despite the distance we often find ourselves going to Halifax for the day...
Old May 20th 2013, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

We chose a property that has:

nearest neighbors = 1km
nearest shop = 5 minutes drive
nearest pharmacy, grocery store, bank, pizza, and booze shop = 10 minutes
nearest canadian tire, walmart etc = 30 minutes
city shopping = 1.5 hours
airport = 1.5 hours

its not so bad :-)

In our woods we have seen tracks of black bear, coyote, snow shoe hare, ruffed grouse, deer, mink.

we love our life here
Old May 20th 2013, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oink
I’m not trying to scaremonger but you have to realize that ‘rural’ in North America is not going to be some sort of Waldenesque idyll. The long winters, boredom and isolation fuel rampant drug scenes consisting of mainly, pot, crystal meth and prescription pill abuse. It’s not pretty.
tis true
Old May 20th 2013, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

luvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to beholdluvmeboys is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What are you basing your comments on? Do you have an older school age child as well as the 2 year old? If so, does their school really not teach right from wrong? That's very odd, our schools (in the UK) have school rules that are all 'treat each other with respect' type things, they give prizes for manners, children aren't allowed to start eating until everybody has got their meal or leave the table until all have finished, they have lessons on bullying, etc, etc.

Tbh, the schools now seem far tougher than when I was at school. We didn't even have detentions then!
Old May 20th 2013, 9:53 pm
BE user by choice

MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I have scared myself rotten a couple of times taking the wrong turn and had visions of my car being surrounded by coyotes all eager to take a chunk out of me!.
I am utterly convinced that the bear population of Canada have been waiting specifically for my family to arrive! Joking aside, I can see the beauty of living at a distance from the mob...it's a bit different for me as my husband works away for so long, but there is just something about the very vast size of Canada that I find extraordinary.
Old May 20th 2013, 10:09 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I am utterly convinced that the bear population of Canada have been waiting specifically for my family to arrive! Joking aside, I can see the beauty of living at a distance from the mob...it's a bit different for me as my husband works away for so long, but there is just something about the very vast size of Canada that I find extraordinary.
They have bears in France don't they?
Old May 20th 2013, 10:36 pm
BE user by choice

I just looked it up, and am still not sure? I'm sure the French would have eaten them! My husband had a friend who was eaten by a bear, up in BC! I have a great desire to see Canadian wildlife, but I'd prefer that it didn't get to see me back!
Old May 20th 2013, 10:43 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I just looked it up, and am still not sure? I'm sure the French would have eaten them! My husband had a friend who was eaten by a bear, up in BC! I have a great desire to see Canadian wildlife, but I'd prefer that it didn't get to see me back!
Really? Bears sometimes attack and can kill humans, but I didn't think they ate us?
Old May 21st 2013, 12:05 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they do. But then I've never been anywhere quite so isolated or desolate as Nova Scotia while in France.
Old May 21st 2013, 11:20 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Living rurally drives you bonkers in the winter and runs you ragged in the summer
Old May 21st 2013, 4:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in France. Think there were bears in the Pyrenees but might be wrong... What we were scared of was the wild boar! Now THEY are very nasty!

When I arrived Millie I was obsessed with coyotes and bears. We've lived in this house for a year and have not seen or head coyotes or bears. Apparently Newfoundland dogs have a scent coyotes don't like so they stay well away! I'm glad for my doggies protection! Incidentally her name is Millie! Lol
Old May 21st 2013, 10:43 pm
BE user by choice

Yes, isn't it odd I Googled it, and I think they technically 'should' have a European Brown Bear in France, and that they have been trying to augment the numbers who might or might not be present. You might have to spend a long time waiting to spot one.

I think all 'newbies' like me probably think that the bears are queuing up for a chomp. It gives me something to concentrate on worrying about, now that I finally got my shipping. 'Proper' Canadians never give it a thought, I think.

It's a shame there aren't wild boars here! A very viscious creature to encounter, but bloody good in a casserole or sausage!
Old May 21st 2013, 10:50 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=MillieF;10718927]Yes, isn't it odd I Googled it, and I think they technically 'should' have a European Brown Bear in France, and that they have been trying to augment the numbers who might or might not be present. You might have to spend a long time waiting to spot one.

I think all 'newbies' like me probably think that the bears are queuing up for a chomp. It gives me something to concentrate on worrying about, now that I finally got my shipping. 'Proper' Canadians never give it a thought, I think.

It's a shame there aren't wild boars here! A very viscious creature to encounter, but bloody good in a casserole or sausage! [/QUOTE

Lunchtime conversations at work have featured bears just lately. They are quite active. One woman takes a shotgun when she is out in the backyard, someone else has changed their walking route.

Last edited by bats; May 21st 2013 at 11:08 pm.
Old May 21st 2013, 10:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
A???
Lunchtime conversations at work have featured bears just lately. They are quite active. One woman takes a shotgun when she is out in the backyard, someone else has changed their walking route.
My mate shoots them and makes sausages from the meat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.