Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Old May 13th 2013, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What's wrong with British kids? How are they any different to the ones in Canada?
Well who know's that's what they will find out when and if they move over
Old May 13th 2013, 10:42 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
What are you basing your comments on? Do you have an older school age child as well as the 2 year old? If so, does their school really not teach right from wrong? That's very odd, our schools (in the UK) have school rules that are all 'treat each other with respect' type things, they give prizes for manners, children aren't allowed to start eating until everybody has got their meal or leave the table until all have finished, they have lessons on bullying, etc, etc.

Tbh, the schools now seem far tougher than when I was at school. We didn't even have detentions then!
Well I think the lack of detention may explain much about our glorious mod.
Old May 14th 2013, 6:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Well I think the lack of detention may explain much about our glorious mod.
Old May 14th 2013, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

richardkp is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm new to this forum but have lived in Nova Scotia for the past 6 years having moved from Cardiff in March 2007 (originally from Burnley). My wife and I and our three kids live in Fall River. Now, if you are looking for good shopping, and vibrant nightlife, Nova Scotia may not be for you. There are days when we get despondant and frustrated with the choices here - but overall, it's a very good quality of life, our children are happy (2 in Elementary and 1 in JrHigh). We came with an open mind, did our research and it has all worked out well.
Old May 14th 2013, 1:12 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arty
Well who know's that's what they will find out when and if they move over
True, but there is often the assumption that the grass is greener on the other side, and it's pertinent for others to post their experience and opinions on schooling in rural Canada. Rural in Britain might mean ten miles from a large town / small city, in Canada it often means hundreds of miles.
Old May 14th 2013, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
True, but there is often the assumption that the grass is greener on the other side, and it's pertinent for others to post their experience and opinions on schooling in rural Canada. Rural in Britain might mean ten miles from a large town / small city, in Canada it often means hundreds of miles.
Fair comment
:-(
Old May 15th 2013, 11:05 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardkp
I'm new to this forum but have lived in Nova Scotia for the past 6 years having moved from Cardiff in March 2007 (originally from Burnley). My wife and I and our three kids live in Fall River. Now, if you are looking for good shopping, and vibrant nightlife, Nova Scotia may not be for you. There are days when we get despondant and frustrated with the choices here - but overall, it's a very good quality of life, our children are happy (2 in Elementary and 1 in JrHigh). We came with an open mind, did our research and it has all worked out well.
Welcome to BE...what an interesting post. Do you think that you are here for the long term ultimately?
Old May 15th 2013, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the welcome MillieF. I would say we'll stay in NS for the long term, but really who knows what the future holds. Originally we were heading to Calgary and made 2 reccie trips, think we made the right decision to come to NS. We are happy, our kids are happy, that's all that really matters, right?
Old May 15th 2013, 3:00 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the welcome MillieF. I would say we'll stay in NS for the long term, but really who knows what the future holds. Originally we were heading to Calgary and made 2 reccie trips, think we made the right decision to come to NS. We are happy, our kids are happy, that's all that really matters, right?
Welcome Richard. Out of curiosity, what diverted you from Calgary after your two recce trips?
Old May 15th 2013, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Good to connect Shard. Thanks for the welcome. We visited Calgary in Feb 2004 and again in Nov 2005. It was good for a holiday and it's a really great city. However, we felt (gut instinct) that it wasn't where we wanted to be - the second time we visited, property prices had boomed and to afford the type of housing in our ideal neighbourhood, we would both have to work full time. Considering my wife was nursing part time in Cardiff, to have to go back full time to afford our mortgage payment, was not part of our plan.

Also, the winters are pretty brutal and long. The idea of snow in May and possibly again in September was just too much. The cost of living is certainly a lot cheaper than the cost of living here in NS.

It took us a full two years to research the move and once Calgary was not going to be a suitable fit, we were back to the drawing board. My wife decided on a whim to look at NS and we took a spur of the moment trip in May 2006. When we landed in Halifax, we just knew. We visited Fall River and Bedford and checked out the schools. We were impressed.

Looking back, I do think we made the right decision for us. Of course, everyone is different and wants different things from a move.
Old May 15th 2013, 4:02 pm
Yo

Good to connect Shard. Thanks for the welcome. We visited Calgary in Feb 2004 and again in Nov 2005. It was good for a holiday and it's a really great city. However, we felt (gut instinct) that it wasn't where we wanted to be - the second time we visited, property prices had boomed and to afford the type of housing in our ideal neighbourhood, we would both have to work full time. Considering my wife was nursing part time in Cardiff, to have to go back full time to afford our mortgage payment, was not part of our plan.

Also, the winters are pretty brutal and long. The idea of snow in May and possibly again in September was just too much. The cost of living is certainly a lot cheaper than the cost of living here in NS.

It took us a full two years to research the move and once Calgary was not going to be a suitable fit, we were back to the drawing board. My wife decided on a whim to look at NS and we took a spur of the moment trip in May 2006. When we landed in Halifax, we just knew. We visited Fall River and Bedford and checked out the schools. We were impressed.

Looking back, I do think we made the right decision for us. Of course, everyone is different and wants different things from a move.

It's good that you made some decent recce trips. This forum is littered with stories from those who haven't. Calgary is not for everyone and there is definitely something to be said for mortgage affordability. I like the "just knew" comment, intuition is a powerful thing!
Old May 15th 2013, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

Welcome to the forum Richard and a double welcome to Fall River. One of the nicest spots in NS. As you found out, the cost of living in NS is a bit higher but it does have its benefits. We do have decent schools and things are not as hectic. Driving is not so much of a chore except the morning and evening rush, I would say hour, but it's not that long.
Old May 16th 2013, 12:26 pm
Just Joined

Thanks SandyIns. I totally agree with you - Fall River is a great spot. We love it here. The traffic is getting a little congested getting out of FR in the mornings but compared to other larger cities, its a breeze.
When I worked downtown it took me 40 minutes door to door during rush hour.
Old May 17th 2013, 10:06 am
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Was that deliberate? Did you mean even more rural than rural?

Just wondering. Sometimes I get the impression that people think of all of NB and all of NS (except Halifax) as being rural.

I look at pictures of Yarmouth and I think Seaside resort rather than rural.
I live rural - 1.5 hours from the city, dandnhill lives 3 hours away from me - even more rurally!

On our original plan was a move to the Lanark highlands on ON, instead we consciously chose the rural communities of the South Shore of NS. We have been here 18 months, its been one long learning curve after another, but we have no regrets and certainly would not go back to UK in a hurry (except for the odd wedding or funeral). We keep chickens and turkeys and have a couple of bee hives too.

Networking and making your niche in the local community are key to survival here for sure.

We love it!
Old May 17th 2013, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by heading-west
I live rural - 1.5 hours from the city, dandnhill lives 3 hours away from me - even more rurally!

On our original plan was a move to the Lanark highlands on ON, instead we consciously chose the rural communities of the South Shore of NS. We have been here 18 months, its been one long learning curve after another, but we have no regrets and certainly would not go back to UK in a hurry (except for the odd wedding or funeral). We keep chickens and turkeys and have a couple of bee hives too.

Networking and making your niche in the local community are key to survival here for sure.

We love it!
I think having to travel 30mins to buy groceries qualifies us as rural! Lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.