Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Old May 12th 2013, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

Beedhamrobert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

On the plus side people is NS are supposedly some of the friendliest in canada!
Old May 12th 2013, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

family_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Beedhamrobert
Hi dandnhill

Your so very lucky to live out there and I hope to be joinin you from Wales one day soon.

I'm hoping to start my application process in the next couple of weeks but will have to get an immigration consultant as its far to complex and I don't know where to start :-)

I'm a hi tech crime analyst/police officer but will have to ditch the police side and go for IT work. It worries me that there is no call from computer people out there.

If you don't mind telling me what amenities do you find short ? I would love to hear about your lifestyle.

Thanks in advance

Rob and Marie
Hi there, have you been over on a reccie trip yet? If not I would strongly reccomend it and spend time in all the areas. We move over next month and have decided to try the rural lifestyle but it was a decision that we didnt make lightly.
Old May 12th 2013, 10:36 pm
Just Joined

Beedhamrobert is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi family of 4

We haven't been out on a recee just yet were hoping to be on our trip next month and try and spend a couple weeks travelling.

I really hope we like it there. What did you think?

Rob and Marie
Old May 12th 2013, 11:02 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Its a great place, happy planning
Old May 13th 2013, 12:50 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Was that deliberate? Did you mean even more rural than rural?

Just wondering. Sometimes I get the impression that people think of all of NB and all of NS (except Halifax) as being rural.

I look at pictures of Yarmouth and I think Seaside resort rather than rural.
Not sure I would describe Yarmouth as a seaside resort. Lol

Yarmouth is all about lobster fishing and other such activities.

BUT I live 30 mins outside Yarmouth in the middle of nowhere...
Old May 13th 2013, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Hi dandnhill

Your so very lucky to live out there and I hope to be joinin you from Wales one day soon.

I'm hoping to start my application process in the next couple of weeks but will have to get an immigration consultant as its far to complex and I don't know where to start :-)

I'm a hi tech crime analyst/police officer but will have to ditch the police side and go for IT work. It worries me that there is no call from computer people out there.

If you don't mind telling me what amenities do you find short ? I would love to hear about your lifestyle.

Thanks in advance

Rob and Marie
I come from the south east of England so it was a bit of a culture shock. There is not much around us and 3 1/2 hrs drive to Halifax.
On a day to day it's fine but for example the only places to buy kids clothes are Atlantic Superstore and Walmart...hmmm...

There are not enough family doctors. Many people have to go to outpatients to see a doctor and can wait for hours.
If we want to fly anywhere we have to drive to Halifax, there are no trains.

I'm not complaining though, just stating how I see it. You might love it somewhere away from it all, I just feel sometimes that life is passing me by.
Old May 13th 2013, 1:28 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
BUT I live 30 mins outside Yarmouth in the middle of nowhere...
Ah, gotcha.
Old May 13th 2013, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

family_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant futurefamily_of_4 has a brilliant future

Hi family of 4

We haven't been out on a recee just yet were hoping to be on our trip next month and try and spend a couple weeks travelling.

I really hope we like it there. What did you think?

Rob and Marie
I think its all down to personal preference, if we were big city, highly skilled workers we probably wouldn't have chosen NS. I work in social housing/construction and my OH works with adults with disabilities, therefore I will be looking at prop management or admin work and my other half can find similar work.
We went over 3 times last year and made our decision to move to hants county, we chose this location as were just over an hour to the city/airport but away from it all. We are moving to an area where its 10 mins drive to the local gas station/grocery store and 20mins drive to the local town, schools, supermarkets etc.. alot will depend on your lifestyle, if you want to walk to your local pub, shop then you need to be in a town. If you enjoy partying on the weekend youd be better near halifax.
We chose rural as were not big city folk, having 12 and 15 yr old boys made it a family decision, they themselves are not ones who hang around the streets, they are best mates and enjoy playing football in the garden, they are home bodies really. We are moving to a prop by a lake, loads of open spaces and lots of opportunities to be outdoors. Were renting for a year that way if we dont like being so rural or the winter is too harsh for driving we can move closer to a town.
Old May 13th 2013, 2:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by family_of_4
I work in social housing/construction and my OH works with adults with disabilities
You might want to look out for Cookie.
Old May 13th 2013, 3:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

I think its all down to personal preference, if we were big city, highly skilled workers we probably wouldn't have chosen NS. I work in social housing/construction and my OH works with adults with disabilities, therefore I will be looking at prop management or admin work and my other half can find similar work.
We went over 3 times last year and made our decision to move to hants county, we chose this location as were just over an hour to the city/airport but away from it all. We are moving to an area where its 10 mins drive to the local gas station/grocery store and 20mins drive to the local town, schools, supermarkets etc.. alot will depend on your lifestyle, if you want to walk to your local pub, shop then you need to be in a town. If you enjoy partying on the weekend youd be better near halifax.
We chose rural as were not big city folk, having 12 and 15 yr old boys made it a family decision, they themselves are not ones who hang around the streets, they are best mates and enjoy playing football in the garden, they are home bodies really. We are moving to a prop by a lake, loads of open spaces and lots of opportunities to be outdoors. Were renting for a year that way if we dont like being so rural or the winter is too harsh for driving we can move closer to a town.
we're going to Kings, so not far from you! We looked at Hants but found it to be a bit too rural... out of interest what will be your nearest local town/supermarket etc.?
Old May 13th 2013, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by izzi81
we're going to Kings, so not far from you! We looked at Hants but found it to be a bit too rural... out of interest what will be your nearest local town/supermarket etc.?
Not too far at all, Windsor is is closest town, thats where the boys are going to school. I think eventually we may go to wolfville area but it will depend on where were working. Where in kings are you looking at?
Old May 13th 2013, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

we are looking at somewhere near Wolfville if we can, though we don't mind being up towards the coast or more inland where it's more 'wild'. We'd like a wee bit of land so wherever we can find something we can afford that is in travelling distance to New Minas for shopping will work
Old May 13th 2013, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

we are looking at somewhere near Wolfville if we can, though we don't mind being up towards the coast or more inland where it's more 'wild'. We'd like a wee bit of land so wherever we can find something we can afford that is in travelling distance to New Minas for shopping will work
Good shopping at new minas, we will going there regularly. Its just the employment part that worries me, but I am prepared to do anything, if I have to travel to halifax initially that will be fine but long term im hoping to find something closer to home

Last edited by family_of_4; May 13th 2013 at 4:57 pm. Reason: doh! spelling
Old May 13th 2013, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Good shopping at new minas, we will going there regularly. Its just the employment part that worries me, but I am prepared to do anything, if I have to travel to halifax initially that will be fine but long term im hoping to find something closer to home
hehe I am exactly the same! I'll do anything too but I just hope we can work something out quickly or I'll get stressed! We leave a week tomorrow so it's all very real
Old May 13th 2013, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

hehe I am exactly the same! I'll do anything too but I just hope we can work something out quickly or I'll get stressed! We leave a week tomorrow so it's all very real
That is soon, lol. Good luck, let us know how your landing goes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.