Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Old May 10th 2013, 1:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Originally Posted by Cosmo1973
Sandy and Bristol you are both right. It will always come down to a personal decision and the right circumstances for each family.
Worth making the point that a quality of life improving move within the UK will likely need tons of money, willingness to work crazy hours, good fortune or highly marketable skills whereas it is possible to achieve a higher quality of life in Atlantic Canada without those advantages. Providing one can meet immigration conditions, of course and that might need good fortune.
Old May 10th 2013, 2:15 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Worth making the point that a quality of life improving move within the UK will likely need tons of money, willingness to work crazy hours, good fortune or highly marketable skills whereas it is possible to achieve a higher quality of life in Atlantic Canada without those advantages. Providing one can meet immigration conditions, of course and that might need good fortune.
And it also needs a job (unless you have a trust fund or other stacks of cash) Life in Atlantic Canada (like anywhere) for the average person requires an income. If you can sort that out, its great.

So.... my advice is to look for where you can find work and go from there.
Old May 10th 2013, 2:27 pm
Just Joined

Beedhamrobert is an unknown quantity at this point

I work in IT at the moment and am wondering how easy do you think getting work or an offer of employment would be in NS. Immigration appears to be a nightmare this year but I hate the uk and would settle in canada tomorrow if I could.
Old May 10th 2013, 3:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

There are lots of people living in rural Scotland/Wales/Ireland that don't need to work crazy hours or have tons of money that, likely, have a similar standard of living to yours, aren't there?
Old May 10th 2013, 4:07 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
And it also needs a job
Oh, of course. I took that for granted. The thing is, though, it's just a normal job that's needed.

With the much lower cost of housing it doesn't have to be a well paying job like other parts of Canada. And it could even be part time.

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
There are lots of people living in rural Scotland/Wales/Ireland that don't need to work crazy hours or have tons of money that, likely, have a similar standard of living to yours, aren't there?
Of course. That would be covered by the "good fortune" part of my post.

Under discussion was exchanging one area of the UK for "better" (or preferred) in Canada or "better" in the UK. If one is already somewhere "better" then one doesn't have to move there. Having the good fortune to already be there.
Old May 10th 2013, 4:30 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, of course. I took that for granted. The thing is, though, it's just a normal job that's needed.

With the much lower cost of housing it doesn't have to be a well paying job like other parts of Canada. And it could even be part time.

Of course. That would be covered by the "good fortune" part of my post.

Under discussion was exchanging one area of the UK for "better" (or preferred) in Canada or "better" in the UK. If one is already somewhere "better" then one doesn't have to move there. Having the good fortune to already be there.
Those jobs tend to be shitty though (crap pay/no respect/crap benefits etc).
Old May 10th 2013, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
So public sector jobs then
Old May 10th 2013, 4:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I can see that one of the three would apply to public sector workers, but not the other two. Care to guess which one?
Old May 10th 2013, 4:39 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
hahaha!
Old May 10th 2013, 7:01 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Very likely, although I'm not sure they'd be shittier than their UK equivalents. But you'll need a much lower % of your net pay to take care of your rent.
Old May 10th 2013, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

I'm going to give it a go with applying to come to NS. I live on the north Wales coast and would love more than anything to move to canada. All I can do is try I guess. I'm going to do a lot of reading and find out where to start today.
Old May 12th 2013, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Gray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to beholdGray C is a splendid one to behold

I think NS is a lovely place. To me it is a bit like Devon was like in the 1950s and early 1960s

Ponhook lake area is quiet, beautiful and relaxing for the soul.
Old May 12th 2013, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I live in rural rural NS... It's a nice place to chill.

Sometimes I struggle with the lack of amenities but then so do the locals. Will we stay forever? Probably not but then again who knows?

We have 2 sons still living with us. One has 4 years of school before he leaves home to study so that will be the time for us to think long and hard about where we live.
Right now my belief is we will end up somewhere in Ontario one day but that might just be because one of my boys is in Toronto...

As others have said, it all depends on jobs and personal experience but at the end of the day, what's the worse that could happen?

You could move again!
Old May 12th 2013, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Hi dandnhill

Your so very lucky to live out there and I hope to be joinin you from Wales one day soon.

I'm hoping to start my application process in the next couple of weeks but will have to get an immigration consultant as its far to complex and I don't know where to start :-)

I'm a hi tech crime analyst/police officer but will have to ditch the police side and go for IT work. It worries me that there is no call from computer people out there.

If you don't mind telling me what amenities do you find short ? I would love to hear about your lifestyle.

Thanks in advance

Rob and Marie
Old May 12th 2013, 7:31 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I live in rural rural NS...
Was that deliberate? Did you mean even more rural than rural?

Just wondering. Sometimes I get the impression that people think of all of NB and all of NS (except Halifax) as being rural.

I look at pictures of Yarmouth and I think Seaside resort rather than rural.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.