Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:11 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Originally Posted by Howefamily
who has the right to an opinion of course.... but its hardly rocket science - you pay less tax there but more for a house, heres the other way around. It seems like those out west are determined to win an argument about how terrible it is here, when they dont even live here, why care so much?
Really? I don't care. I'll never have to live in NS or anywhere else in Canada for that matter, so its not my problem. It was just that this bloke, a Canadian, yesterday was very matter of fact about it. He also said most people he knew who are from there would leave if they could, especially if they have young children so they can have better opportunities, that's all.
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:15 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

and I know a bloke here from Calgary who wouldnt move back there, whos Canadian. There will always be a bloke, always be a different opinion, always a different objective....
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

oopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond reputeoopsbuddy has a reputation beyond repute

Hey, that's my point! Some people seem to love Regina, but others....! A place may be the last place on earth that one person may want to live, but many others would disagree. Live and let live and all that stuff....

Goodnight from here!
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:21 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oopsbuddy
Hey, that's my point! Some people seem to love Regina, but others....! A place may be the last place on earth that one person may want to live, but many others would disagree. Live and let live and all that stuff....
agreed, now if only that could happen
Old Mar 28th 2013, 11:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

Our reality is fitting the dream rather nicely

However, I enjoy the stress free lifestyle, peace, good book & a glass of wine with different seasons & activities to enjoy & the odd gig in Old Blighty without my rosé tinted glasses - reading the daily mail is just about enough stress for me lol !!
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:16 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oopsbuddy
Surely there must be an element of balance to this debate too. Some people perhaps can't afford to buy a place in BC, but they can afford a whole lot more in NS for example, and perhaps can afford to pay a little more tax too.

Some from NS may have left, for good reason, but not everyone may want to go where they have gone, and may be prepared to give NS a go. Some prefer cities and towns, others prefer rural and acreages. Some want to be near the sea! Sometimes it will depend on what and where you're coming from too.

I see many posts on this forum from people who have left places which they now despise, but equally from those whose rose-tinted specs have slipped off in terms of where they are now (be it Albertaland, or overpriced BC, or boring prairieland, or overtaxed maritimes etc) but each to his own....eh? People's priorities are different, and there may well be shortcomings with any given location, but somebody's hell is another person's paradise, and there is no one "right" place....meaning everywhere else is wrong. If a place is not what floats your own particular boat, and you have particular personal experience to share, by all means share any helpful advice possible, but just accept that it doesn't necessarily mean the place is shit!

Years ago, I wanted to move to Vancouver, and part of me still thinks that it would have a lot going for it. I met with friends of a friend who had moved and lived there for several years. As an afterthought, I asked them if they liked "Canada" so much, would they ever move back (to Van). They then told me (which I hadn't realised until then) that when they left Van they moved to Halifax for a few years, and if they ever went back to Canada, they would go back to Halifax NS in a heartbeat. Different strokes and all that! So we took our recce to NS instead of BC. We liked it, not loved, but liked it a lot. It ticked many boxes that we then realised BC couldn't, affordability being a major issue, as well as proximity to the Atlantic crossing to Europe, so that's probably where we'll end up in a while.

Just my 2c worth!
The Maritimes is acknowledged to be a dying place - just as the West is acknowledged to be booming and the economic engine of Canada, and Ontario struggling with all the hits manufacturing has taken there. But whatever. There's a lot of people on this board who have an interest in covering that fact up because it's not what they want to hear.

The fact that it's dying - the young leaving, the old staying..is shown by the fact the real estate is cheap-ass. It's cheap cos no one much wants to live there. Demand is low, cos no one much is fighting over those homes. My 4 NS friends are all bailing as fast as they can...

I'm not saying that NS sucks or doesn't suit some people. But come on. It's a sad, forgotten periphery of Canada, with very little political clout or relevance to the ROC.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Mar 29th 2013 at 12:20 am.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:41 am
Happy

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
The Maritimes is acknowledged to be a dying place - just as the West is acknowledged to be booming and the economic engine of Canada, and Ontario struggling with all the hits manufacturing has taken there. But whatever. There's a lot of people on this board who have an interest in covering that fact up because it's not what they want to hear.

The fact that it's dying - the young leaving, the old staying..is shown by the fact the real estate is cheap-ass. It's cheap cos no one much wants to live there. Demand is low, cos no one much is fighting over those homes. My 4 NS friends are all bailing as fast as they can...

I'm not saying that NS sucks or doesn't suit some people. But come on. It's a sad, forgotten periphery of Canada, with very little political clout or relevance to the ROC.
It really doesnt feel that way to me, or all my friends who live here happily, with jobs and lives and who enjoy it.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:48 am
Happy

The young often go west to earn loads of money and live as cheap as they can and get back here as fast as they can to buy a home outright. We cant get staff in our Edmonton office as they could earn ridiculous money up the road in Fort Mac - I mention that so people can get an idea of the numbers... so back they come (well at least 4 people I know are, given we are touting numbers here) to be as house rich as they can.

The house prices in Halifax are not actually that cheap, you can check that out on mls or wherever you fancy, being out of Halifax means cheaper property.

Its really not a sad, forgotten little place. It has its own ambience, its own type of people.
And I am not choosing to ignore this as it doesnt suit me, my happiness is not fictitious, its our life, and its a great deal better and richer than it was in the SE of England (where its meant to be everything that the West of Canada is touted as)
Old Mar 29th 2013, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

At least we don't have it as bad as New Brunswick, well not yet anyway!!!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...-reaction.html

Last edited by allycat231; Mar 29th 2013 at 12:54 am.
Old Mar 29th 2013, 1:15 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

forgotten periphery of Canada, with very little political clout or relevance to the ROC.

several reasons why I love it here..........
Old May 9th 2013, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Cosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really nice

Eight pages of debate. There are certainly a lot of opinions out there. I have just come back from a recce in Nova Scotia after starting this thread some weeks ago. I stayed in Halifax and travelled about a bit. I appreciated everyones comments but obviously I needed to see the place for myself.

There are some parts that are amazing and some parts that are not so nice. I was surprised that I really liked the areas around Halifax and also surprised that I did not like Cape Breton and Lunenburg so much (I would have expected that to be the other way round). The people that I met were incredibly friendly and I spoke to some new friends about the whole 'from aways' thing, including a few that had moved here from other parts of the country. The general opinion was that this was not as bad as it used to be and more pronounced in the more remote areas of the province, which stands to reason.

So is Nova Scotia a 'dump' or a 'paradise'? I think there are good and bad parts as there probably are everywhere. It is true that, economically, it is not as prosperous as the rest of Canada and it may not be as nice, but, I haven't been to the rest of Canada. What I can compare it to is where I am now. I don't know if anyone on this forum knows the West Midlands but virtually any part of Nova Scotia that I have seen is more pleasant, friendlier and economically better placed than here. It really is all relative.

What I would say, without any doubt, is that people are happier in Nova Scotia and maybe in Canada generally. The crime, social issues and drug problems that make front page news when they occur in Nova Scotia are, of course, tragedies for people personally affected, but in the time I was there I studied the papers and the news and the issues that I read about are routine in the UK and form a 'normal' part of my working day ( I work in the emergency services). They would certainly not make even a local paper here.

So, compared to the rest of Canada, Nova Scotia is still up for debate. Compared to where I work, it's not bad at all.
Old May 9th 2013, 3:43 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cosmo1973
What I can compare it to is where I am now. I don't know if anyone on this forum knows the West Midlands but virtually any part of Nova Scotia that I have seen is more pleasant, friendlier and economically better placed than here.
So, subject to work, you might be able to up the quality of life by moving to NS.

Just as you might with a move to somewhere else in the UK as is often pointed out.

Is one more feasible than the other?
Old May 9th 2013, 3:46 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by Cosmo1973
. It is true that, economically, it is not as prosperous as the rest of Canada and it may not be as nice, but, I haven't been to the rest of Canada. .
Thats definately down to personal opinion, in my view its MUCH nicer than Quebec. Cant comment on the rest of Canada, I like the bits of Ontario that I have seen as much as I like NS.
Old May 9th 2013, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

I was, originally, from the West Midlands, which is just a crappy as the East. Glad you could visit NS and make your own mind up. Yes, CB is not as nice an area as Halifax. That's because it is economically depressed. There is no money for infrastructure maintenance and it has that uncared for look. Which is a pity because the folks are absolutely the salt of the earth. Halifax drives the province and, as such, that's where the money is being invested.
There are as many negatives about NS as there are positives. But, having visited and liked what you saw, all these have to be weighed against what you would gain by moving here.
This June marks our 45th year of living in Canada. It also marks our 39th year in NS. We like it and have no plans to move.
Old May 10th 2013, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Cosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really nice

Sandy and Bristol you are both right. It will always come down to a personal decision and the right circumstances for each family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.