Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:50 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Originally Posted by siouxie
Thanks - I thought it had some interesting comments and I liked the descriptions of the different towns from a potential relocation point of view.

I stumbled upon it when I put in a search for "the good, the bad, the ugly, Nova Scotia"

I liked it too, found it informative from a first time viewers stand. I like Amherst, its got some funky statues in it.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 12:51 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cookie
I live up that way and we love this area. Not too near that awful pulp mill though belching out smoke 24/7. Would depress me seeing that every day although it is a huge employer for the locals and has been since before I moved here so who am I to complain.

Anyhow back to the local area. Extremely lovely people with big hearts who would do anything for you and rally round when anyone needs support. Always lots going on in our community and lots of free stuff too. We both enjoy our jobs. OH works extremely hard even for a man half his age. Travels all over NS and often in NB too. I retrained and work in mental health (shifts 365) which can be very hard work but is very rewarding and Lots of fun too!

I am not even bothered by the winter - only lasts about 3-4 months on the east coast anyway. I still get out and about and hockey season makes it more enjoyable for sure.

I guess life is what you make it no matter where you live. We are that kind of people and I for one would certainly move if I was unhappy because bitterness is unhealthy. Also, can I make a point that people who are happy, especially after a few years are not wearing rose tinted specs. It pees me off when others say that because they are not happy in their lives. I can tell you that life is more beautiful when you are happy for others
+1
Although frankly the snow can stop anytime soon, I am looking forward to summer now
Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:14 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
+1
Although frankly the snow can stop anytime soon, I am looking forward to summer now
I remember a few years back we had a huge storm during the Easter Weekend in April. Glad I wasn't here for White Juan though - I have checked out the photos

We are now into the hockey playoffs so I am a happy bunny. Even went down to the brand new Truro rink last weekend and saw my team beat the Bearcats. Will be heading to Halifax in a few weeks time for a couple of days. Hoping to see the Mooseheads again

I am Canadian dontchaknow
Old Mar 20th 2013, 1:20 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I liked it too, found it informative from a first time viewers stand. I like Amherst, its got some funky statues in it.
I have only been to Amherst once. Oh often works up there though. I went to watch my son play soccer one summer. I sat in a mesh chair and unfortunately got lots of mozzie bites on my bum. Moral of that story is either say NO to mesh or spray the chair before you sit down
Old Mar 20th 2013, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

For the original poster

Lived in NS for nearly 6 years now & LOVE it

Its not full of excitement, food is expensive, so is power, heating etc.etc.. BUT then again so are all these things everywhere nowdays

Personally, I love the different seasons giving us opportunties to experience different activities - could I take kids skiing in the UK, surfing on the beach in the UK all in the same 1 hour drive NO - unless i lived in Scotland & thats pretty much the same weather as here isnt it (so my Scottish friends tell me)

I love the community feel here, Canadians rock IMHO - they might not sometimes seem as "cultured" as Europeans & the laid back approach does my head in at times BUT again I have to think - hey thats why you moved here to escape the stress of the rat race in the UK

Again, come check it out - it is really about what you want in life - totally understand a younger generation not wanting to live here

Thats my tuppence worth - make of it as you may, each to their own BUT people if you dont like it - move on & find Happiness cos Life is just too short to spend it miserably - BE HAPPY
Old Mar 20th 2013, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

Originally Posted by siouxie
I was just doing a quick surf and came across this blog.

It has some interesting observations of NS, from someone who is NS bound - complete with photo's of towns and comments as they do a recce.

Thought it might be of interest to the OP.

Nice blog. Answers some of the negatives on this thread.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 20th 2013 at 6:18 pm. Reason: It's been sorted, no need to keep mentioning it.. thanks :)
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:19 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sandylns
Nice blog. Answers some of the negatives on this thread.
The blog does mention that she heard New Glasgow and Amherst were rife with drugs so it does cover negative views as well as pretty pictures ( before you jump down my throat I have not been to either place - passed through Amherst, so I know nothing about the places ).
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:26 pm
Just Joined

Cosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really nice

I seem to have sparked some 'debate'! But it's interesting to read the points of view. Thank you , Siouxie, for the blog.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:27 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
The blog does mention that she heard New Glasgow and Amherst were rife with drugs so it does cover negative views as well as pretty pictures ( before you jump down my throat I have not been to either place - passed through Amherst, so I know nothing about the places ).
It does seem that the lack of employment and the general sense of no hope in NS is producing an epidemic of hillybilly heroin.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 6:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cosmo1973
I seem to have sparked some 'debate'! But it's interesting to read the points of view. Thank you , Siouxie, for the blog.
You are most welcome
Old Mar 20th 2013, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Oh dear, I`m headed to Alberta - a known "low taxation" region - should I take an oxygen tank and breathing apparatus with me?
You probably should. :-)

Haven't you heard that the oil sand pollution to the local water? I also believe the oil finery would affect air more than others.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
In Newfoundland the air is even cleaner, if indeed that's possible, than NS and taxes are lower. Lowest infact, in Maritime/Atlantic Canada.
Newfoundland has more resources than NS: finery and clean energy which is sold to the NS.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

Yes, you do have more resources. However, so far you haven't sold us anything except a concept. Our governments are pinning their hopes on Muscrat Falls without exploring anything else. Whatever is decided Nova Scotians will be paying more for power.
We already have high rates but, even those pale when compared to the UK and Europe.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 9:23 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by sandylns
Yes, you do have more resources. However, so far you haven't sold us anything except a concept. Our governments are pinning their hopes on Muscrat Falls without exploring anything else. Whatever is decided Nova Scotians will be paying more for power.
We already have high rates but, even those pale when compared to the UK and Europe.
and thank goodness we are not at 20% HST
Old Mar 20th 2013, 11:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Just read the blog... He never made it to Yarmouth

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.