Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

Cosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really niceCosmo1973 is just really nice
Default Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Hi Everyone
I am currently in the process of obtaining professional registration for my occupation in Nova Scotia and am planning to go out for a first look in a months time. I have read a lot of very positive comments about the area but recently I was talking to a lady from Toronto who was not at all complimentary. I have also come across this forum thread which, I have to say, was a bit concerning.

http://board.classifieds1000.com/Nov...in_Nova_Scotia

Obviously, if you look hard enough, you can find negative comments about anywhere but I just wondered what people thought. It's a huge step and in general we are very eager to make the move but there are bound to be a few doubts and I would appreciate hearing about anyone else's experiences in the province.
Thanks
Old Mar 15th 2013, 8:43 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia: Just Read This And Concerned

Welcome to BE.

Thats not a forum Im familiar with (it doesnt seem well visited? Last replies in mid Feb?), but basically opinions are like arseholes... everybody has one.

Take a look at the many NS related threads here. Some people like it, some dont, but that life. You have to decide what you are looking for and see if it ticks your boxes I guess.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 15th 2013 at 8:45 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 10:16 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

NS is not a place most Canadians (as opposed to British expats) would choose to live. You should ask yourself why that is, and why it struggles to hold onto it's population.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 10:27 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

I have not lived there, but I have visited the Mull of Kintyre, Scotland and Lossiemouth. Maybe a week in Scotland's more remote towns may give you a feel for NS
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:37 pm
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cosmo1973
Obviously, if you look hard enough, you can find negative comments about anywhere
There will be some people along very shortly who have looked very hard indeed....and will answer your question.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold

I see there's a positive response in that forum from Mark Spindloe. He, and his wife, June, are well known (I believe) among the Brit expat community around HRM.
Old Mar 16th 2013, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Problem is you can find any point of view online. The only way to really know what you'll think of the place is to visit. We've visited 3 times and loved it each time, we move out on May. I'm sure the place has negative aspects but doesn't everywhere?

It is good not to have the rose tinted glasses on though, it can be useful to read negative as well as positive stuff to give you both sides!
Old Mar 17th 2013, 2:39 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AdrianR
I see there's a positive response in that forum from Mark Spindloe. He, and his wife, June, are well known (I believe) among the Brit expat community around HRM.
Unsurprisingly they run a relocation service ( I thought they may have been Realtors...god forbid ) so is there advise and viewpoint entirely objective ?
Old Mar 17th 2013, 4:56 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I would look on this forum, you will see comments both good and bad on NS. I would take the ones from those not even living here with a grain of salt as they have no personal experience and are just repeating someone elses point of view, and we know how that can turn out.

In short (my point of view)
Its a very nice place
The wages are lower than elsewhere
The cost of housing reflects that
Taxes are high
cost of living can be high
The people are nice
Networking is key to getting a job
You can have a very nice life here, we do
Old Mar 17th 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I live in the back of beyond... Do I like it? Most days, yes... Do I see myself retiring in Yarmouth, NS? Probably not...

I have just returned from a trip to Toronto and OMG the traffic was shocking! Wherever we went there were people and it was noisy!
I loved the fact that there was so much to do but comparing my daily life here to what it would be like there, it is definitely easier here... Just with less choices!

People here are friendly. Wherever you live it takes time to make real friends and gradually we are getting to know some really super people.

Everybody is so individual you cannot base your decision on our experiences, you need to visit for yourself...

Don't rely on those who for some obscure reason don't like NS, despite never having set foot here, but don't rely on those of us who live here either other than to ask us how much things cost for example.

Btw, minimum wage is $10.15 per hour which will give you a guideline as to cost of living...
Old Mar 17th 2013, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

getmeintohalifax is on a distinguished road

I didn't read all of that thread but I've lived here for the best part of four years and I haven't seen any evidence of some of the things mentioned (high crime, drug problems etc.). Maybe I have a different perspective coming from the ghetto of Sunderland though!

My experience (living in halifax) is that Nova Scotia is very clean, safe and generally pretty friendly. Having said that, although people will be very polite, friendly and welcoming on the surface, there is a general tendency for people to look after their own when hiring etc. I also found it a bit boring during my 20's but I definitely appreciate it a lot more now that I'm a little bit older. Generally, I feel pretty lucky to live here...especially in the summer.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 9:27 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Unsurprisingly they run a relocation service ( I thought they may have been Realtors...god forbid ) so is there advise and viewpoint entirely objective ?
They are relocation agency and realtor
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

sandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to allsandylns is a name known to all

Nova Scotia is a good place to live. I have been here since 1974 and have seen the bad and good and ugly. The people are friendly, traffic is NOT a nightmare, taxes are higher than most other provinces, housing is not overly expensive but, not cheap either. Depends where in NS you want to live. Gas is expensive compared with other provinces.
Jobs are not plentiful despite the provincial governments constant ads on the TV to the contrary. There will be more jobs when the shipbuilding program comes on stream. Notice I said when.
The provincial government have a constant barrage of ads on TV telling folks how good it is going to be. Unfortunately, quite a number of folks coming here have found it difficult to find work in their profession. And it has not been helpful that unscrupulous real estate agents have been doing the same and painting a rosy picture where non exists. As a consequence some have had to go back to UK having sunk their savings in housing etc and have nothing to show for it.
We do have a very picturesque province. Not densly populated. 915,000 folks live here on 55284 sq km. Halifax has the largest population but that is still only a quarter million inhabitants. Shopping is fairly good with just about every Canadian retail operation represented.
Our health system needs work though. Wait time are almost the highest in Canada. We do have more doctors per capita but, trying to get one can be a challenge.
Universities are plentiful with more per person than any other province. Tuition however is not that cheap and there isn't much in the way of subsidies. (read tax payer support)
If you have a secure job and are willing to put up with small them move here. We did and wouldn't change for anything.
Old Mar 17th 2013, 11:50 pm
Forum Regular

spud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond reputespud1963 has a reputation beyond repute

We moved here last August after holidaying in Canada for 10 years, we have been to Vancouver, Banff, Kelowna, Montreal, Toronto and Halifax. We bought a property in 2008, near Foxpoint on the South Shore with some money left to us. We have been coming spring and summer each year since, we finally emmigrated last August. I have found this forum valuable in helping answer questions on Electrics, Insurance, Tax ect but as has been said living in Nova Scotia is a choice, its individual, we have lived in London and Southern England for 30 years and i have worked both there and Gloucester, we love Nova Scotia, its funny how we grumble about people crossing the road without looking but forget what little traffic we have! We moan that petrol is $1.35 here but thats 90 pence UK! I have been out in Halifax late in the evening and never seen any trouble, yes i have been to some very busy pubs and see a few drunks but all in control. We have a Daughter 19 next week, our Daughter looked for part time retail work, she applied to three shops in Halifax (took her CV in and asked about jobs) she had two interviews and was offered both jobs, yes $10.15 an hour but she was getting £7.00 at Debenhams! We took her to Universities here, she has a place in Gloucester UK but wanted to see what was offered here, Mount St Vincent was so friendly and helpful but the funding is very different from the UK, not sure we can do it. She has made a couple of friends at work who have taken her out and introduced her to others, they are so friendly they are even arranging a Birthday party for her! My only advice is come and see for yourself, winter was not as bad as i thought, interesting but not bad! Come in the Winter not just the Summer, we were looking to take a trip to the UK this summer but have decided we will save the airfair and see PEI and New Foundland, we love it!
Old Mar 18th 2013, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

After living here for almost 2 years, here is what I feel.

1. If you get a job you like, your life can be very nice here. If not, it is difficult to move as the opportunities are much less than big cities can give.
2. Depending on your taste, if you like theatres in big cities like London, New York or even Toronto, the productions here are not comparable. You can still see some small shows, but not Les Mis or Phantom of the Opera. Big stars never come here for a touring promotion.
3. The weather is way better than London, sunny, blue sky most of the time, even in winter. Yes, there is more snow here, but hey, how often are you outside in the winter? Half an hour a day perhaps. Put on a Canadian coat, it is not a big deal. Maybe you need to plow your driveway, but 5-6 times a winter I would say. It only costs $25 to get somebody to plow for you.
4. Nova Scotia is Canadian's Ocean playground. I love the slogan. Have you ever driven on a beach? If not, come to Nova Scotia, you can drive on it for miles. Many people own a boat. Yes, even those people who just earn regular salary. Cruise around in the sunny summer time. It is a joy.
5. Tax is higher than most provinces, but you are paying quality Oxygen and water here rather than CO2 and pollution.
6. The grocery is higher than big cities like London, Vancouver or Toronto, but the cheaper properties can give you much better quality of life here than living in those cities.
7. Hardly any traffic here. You have an extra hour of life every day here than living in big cities.
8. Many artists live here. Driving along the coastline or walking around those coastal trails, you will see why it attracts so many artists.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.