Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia, Hubbards

Nova Scotia, Hubbards

Old Nov 25th 2015, 5:05 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia, Hubbards

I'm still here
Old Nov 25th 2015, 8:25 pm
Just Joined

Mellios is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I was living in Yarmouth until a little under two years ago... maybe we have met? How long have you been there?
I so totally inderstand what you are saying about the French spoken there. i speak fluent French - from France - but omg what a struggle to understand them. Clare Acadians do speak a French closer to what I speak and I could hold a very slow conversation with them but if I tried speaking to somebody from Pubnico there was no chance!!!!
I got here just under 2 years ago so we just missed each other!!

Having just spent a long weekend in Montreal I can see why they struggle to understand each other too!
Old Nov 25th 2015, 9:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mellios
I got here just under 2 years ago so we just missed each other!!

Having just spent a long weekend in Montreal I can see why they struggle to understand each other too!
Timing! Lol
Old Dec 30th 2015, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

kasiadoran is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I too live 45 mins out from Halifax and drive in each day to downtown to work. I have a Hyundai accent that I bought new and is now 4 years old, it costs me about $36 a week to run. Hubby drives to Dartmouth and back each day in a Dodge Journey that costs about $65 a week to run, for your comparable.You can of course buy a gas guzzling bigger vehicle but thats up to you. I too live "out in the sticks" and I love it. We have a great community and all thats missing is the sea. I wouldnt move as we are settled now but if we werent I would move to Hubbards in a heartbeat. Keep in mind that if you plan on a night out in the city and live that far out a taxi is about $70 to get home or you could book with Woods limo and get the same ride in much nicer comfort for about $56 Hope this helps!
I have a question...we are tossing with the idea of big move to NS for past 2 years we visited couple if times etc...because of my nursing registration it takes forever etc etc...however I think we decided it is more important to actually move and start fresh rather than my nursing development...its time for the quality family time rather than rat race...so on that rate with LPN registration I can earn around $43k a year...so it says on the website...if we were mortgage free, with all essential goods incuding cars bought upright and about $20k in the bank...would it be enough for starters for family of 4...husband would eventually want to find a job (self-employed in uk with possible network through friends in NS but he would like to slow down a little bit) but would it be enough for a steady start? Thank you
Old Dec 31st 2015, 12:56 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kasiadoran
...so on that rate with LPN registration I can earn around $43k a year...so it says on the website...if we were mortgage free, with all essential goods incuding cars bought upright and about $20k in the bank...would it be enough for starters for family of 4...husband would eventually want to find a job...(self-employed in uk with possible network through friends in NS but he would like to slow down a little bit) but would it be enough for a steady start?
We're next door in NB since 2005. Family of four (2 teens) and we had a net income of about $21k including child benefit (which you may qualify for too), falling to around $18k a couple of years on and the fall in the £ kept whittling away at my UK income. That $21k was a good year.

Mortgage free but not running car - although that did mean taxis for shopping.

We managed easily enough but with kids leaving school a few years later it wasn't a long term thing.

It sounds like you'd do okay - and probably benefit from medical coverage for prescriptions and dental as a bonus? - but with the likelihood you could improve your lot more quickly.

Much will depend on age of kids and whether you're happy staycationing.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

BristolUK thank you for prompt reply much appreciated
Old Dec 31st 2015, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

I meant to have to smiley faces
Old Dec 31st 2015, 12:59 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kasiadoran
I meant to have to smiley faces

You know you can edit a post? If you're quick it will look like you originally intended.

If you're quickish it will just show at the bottom that it was changed.

There is a point at which it's too late - not sure how long.

Just thought I'd let you know.
Old Dec 31st 2015, 1:37 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
You know you can edit a post? If you're quick it will look like you originally intended.

If you're quickish it will just show at the bottom that it was changed.

There is a point at which it's too late - not sure how long.

Just thought I'd let you know.
You can edit a post usually for about 2 hours
Old Dec 31st 2015, 2:39 pm
Forum Regular

I didn't know...something new every day