Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia Here We Come!

Nova Scotia Here We Come!

Old May 4th 2004, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

JoolsG will become famous soon enoughJoolsG will become famous soon enough
Default Nova Scotia Here We Come!

Hi Everyone

First time of posting in this forum but thought I would put some feelers out to all those who live in NS.

We will become PR's on 7th June 2004! Probably end up settling somewhere within commute of Halifax/Dartmouth but for the first month we will be in Mahone Bay.

Anybody recommend some "must do" things for our first few weeks? We also have 3 children (8, 5 & 21 months) so any suggestions of good places to take them would be appreciated too!
Old May 4th 2004, 3:20 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Congratulations jools.

The wife and I will be going over to NS for a recce in September. We will be staying just outside of Dartmouth for just a week.

What line are you in, and did you try the Provincial Nominee route?

Good luck for the move.
Old May 4th 2004, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Location: Nova Scotia, Canada...back in my beloved Brissy soon
Tinkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Where are you coming to NS from? There are some nice things to see like the Citadel and the Maritime Museum in Halifax. Halifax and Dartmouth have a very large military population so you can see the Naval Dockyards from various points around the harbour, and will often see aircraft overhead. The public parks and gardens took a very bad hit from the hurricane last year, as did the waterfront area. Be wary of the waterfront boardwalks at times, you have to be careful which direction the wind is blowing as the sewage is pumped into the harbour just near the boardwalk.

www.halifaxinfo.com covers most of novia scotias things to do/places to see/events
Old May 4th 2004, 9:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Hi Jools, I live near Mahone Bay on the south shore. Have you been there before? Lots of touristy places to see along the south shore. Just love Lunenburg. Perhaps I will see you at the flea Market on a Sunday in Mahone Bay...it is usually a good one!
Old May 4th 2004, 10:02 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Corky
Hi Jools, I live near Mahone Bay on the south shore. Have you been there before? Lots of touristy places to see along the south shore. Just love Lunenburg. Perhaps I will see you at the flea Market on a Sunday in Mahone Bay...it is usually a good one!
Tell me more about the market!!

We love fleamarkets, and would love to go in September.
Old May 4th 2004, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by liftman
Tell me more about the market!!

We love fleamarkets, and would love to go in September.

there you go liftman, youve got me in halifax area, corky in south shore...anyone in cape breton????? i wish i had the tourist reps when i was moving over!!!!
Old May 6th 2004, 5:29 am
Just Joined

tondra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Love Mahone Bay

I spent a day in Mahone Bay and loved it! It was my favorite place I visited in NS, but, unfortunately, could not afford the real estate prices. It is definitely worth a vist, if nothing else. I loved the energy, businesses and scenery. If I could afford it, I would love to live my last days there.

Tondra
Old May 12th 2004, 2:48 pm
Just Joined

Hi everyone

Sorry to not reply sooner but we have only just come back from a weeks trip to Germany.

Liftman - No, we didn't go down the PNP route just the normal PR skilled worker one. My husband is in IT. The application from start to finish only took 11 months so we are pretty lucky, I think. Whereabouts in Devon are you? Even though I live in Swindon now I am a born and bred devonian and only moved away 9 years ago when I got married.

Corky - have pm'ed Angie separately!

We are getting really excited now. This morning it hit me that this time next month we will be in NS!!! :scared:

Jools
Old May 12th 2004, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Hi joolsg
when we go to halifax we usually end up at Peggy's cove.My son, 8 loves climbing over the rocks and it is usually the bit he remembers most about.Just don't get too close to the edge.

Where are you looking at in Halifax/Dartmouth region?We plan to be out there by sep/oct as well,somewhere between the city and the airport.
mike
Old May 12th 2004, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

Hi Mike

Thanks for the tip - I'm sure our girls will love climbing the rocks at Peggys Cove! Don't know if my nerves will stand it though

We are looking at being within commuting distance of Halifax/Dartmouth region. Probably no more than 45 minutes. Ideally we would like something by the sea but wouldn't mind something by a lake either.

Are you going down the skilled worker application route or PNP? How far along the process are you? I keep looking at our passports with those lovely visas in

Do you have other children too? What work are you in? Lots of questions, I know, sorry!
Old May 12th 2004, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

mikejw is on a distinguished road

Hi Joolsg
We are a year down the line from AOR so hopefully we will have medicals soon and visas by Oct.We are going on the Skilled worker visa route.
I've just left the Fire Brigade in london and Orla is a sales Manager in the Medical field.I think we both have the attitude that we would like do try new things and from what employment consultants have said,it isn't too unusual to change direction once or twice in Canada whereas this probobly is more frowned upon in the U.K.
Like yourselves we are looking outside Halifax.We considered Mahone Bay and the South shore but think we probably will end up nearer the airport i.e. fall river or abouts.
We've got two kids both boys,8 and 2 and our initial concerns are settling them in and have given ourselves 6-12 months to find work.
I'm soooo jealous of your visas,wish we had them now as well.
Tell us how u get on.
good luck
mike