British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Nova Scotia good or bad (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/nova-scotia-good-bad-708360/)

sorthumb Mar 7th 2011 10:06 pm

Nova Scotia good or bad

Hi everyone we are thinking of moving to Nova Scotia possibly Halifax and the area, because of its proximity to the sea and housing appears to be affordable and lifestyle seems to be good and it appears to be safe. My wife has a contact in Truro, Colchester. She is a nurse and has contact with a nurse working and living there and again houses appear to be cheap, I am a Carpenter and work seems to be ok. However, when talking to family, we have relatives who live in Alberta they regard Nova Scotia as a bad area of Canada with lots of social problems, poverty, homelessness, alcohol problems, crime etc. This has not put us off but it would be helpful if anyone could share there experience and thoughts with us, we are aware that where ever you go it is going to have its issues Thanks !

woodworm Mar 7th 2011 11:06 pm

Re: Nova Scotia good or bad

Originally Posted by sorthumb (Post 9224461)
we have relatives who live in Alberta they regard Nova Scotia as a bad area of Canada with lots of social problems, poverty, homelessness, alcohol problems, crime etc. This has not put us off but it would be helpful if anyone could share there experience !

:rofl:

my drugged and drunk husband just beat me up, that was after he %#&*ed our youngest and now I am sitting in a shed by the side of the road with no money, hoping for the help of some neighbours to pick me up, give me some food and if I am lucky enough they won't shoot me after that... Oh and I forgot... they are already building a cross in the front yard... if it wasn't raining so hard it would probably burn by now...
:rofl:

(sorry I couldn't resist and say hi to your Albertan redneck family)

Simon Legree Mar 7th 2011 11:19 pm

Hi everyone we are thinking of moving to Nova Scotia possibly Halifax and the area, because of its proximity to the sea and housing appears to be affordable and lifestyle seems to be good and it appears to be safe. My wife has a contact in Truro, Colchester. She is a nurse and has contact with a nurse working and living there and again houses appear to be cheap, I am a Carpenter and work seems to be ok. However, when talking to family, we have relatives who live in Alberta they regard Nova Scotia as a bad area of Canada with lots of social problems, poverty, homelessness, alcohol problems, crime etc. This has not put us off but it would be helpful if anyone could share there experience and thoughts with us, we are aware that where ever you go it is going to have its issues Thanks !

Your relatives are quite misinformed. But then they're in Alberta. ;)
It is no better or worse that most other places in Canada. True it is a "B Market" area which means that it maybe doesn't have the same job opportunities as say Toronto or other major urban areas. But to slag it off as a bad area of Canada is untrue.
There are many recent arrivals that are quite happy and content to be in N.S. and then there are others who aren't. But that goes for all other areas of Canada too. I've lived in N.S. for over ten years and while I could doubtless pick lots of spots off it generally speaking it is a nice place to live.

Arris Mar 7th 2011 11:20 pm

Hi Sorthumb,

I have family in Alberta too. We were originally going to settle there - we even bought a lot to build on we were that sure!

We then visited friends in Nova Scotia & hey presto here we are - landed as PR's in the fall & are settling in nicely. Family in Alberta said nothing bad about Nova Scotia apart from how pretty it was & how nice to have the sea so close.

Best thing to do if you are able is to visit Nova Scotia for yourself - if you've been to Alberta.............it's nothing like it ;)

nikki dreaming Mar 8th 2011 12:46 am

NS and AB are chalk and cheese, it all depends on what is important for you and your family re location, opportunities etc, depending on your line of work in NS you can be just as successful as else where in Canada, or it could be a struggle.

A recce trip is the only way to get a feel for NS, there are some that love it and some that would likely hate it, ie too slow, too small, limited choices for some consumer based products etc.

Whilst housing etc may be cheaper it can all be relative in terms of income etc, but again, it does depend of your line of work. I agree that from what I have seen both of your lines of work are something that should be available here, but it will be very much about networking and being in touch with the right people to identify the opportunities, 80% of the job market here in NS is hidden.

destinationnovascotia Mar 8th 2011 3:29 am

We have been living about 40 minutes from Halifax on the Eastern Shore for nearly 3 years now. We came from the UK where we had a nice home in a pleasant village with good schools.

Our life here compares very favourably with our old life and my only regret is that we didn't do it sooner.

Sure there is poverty and hardship for some, and if anyone says they live in a area that doesn't then they are walking around with their eyes closed. However, our general standard of living is good, we are pleased with the schools and the opportunities in our area.

I am also a nurse and I am very happy in my work too.

On the whole, I have no complaints, we all love our life here and anyone who has come to visit us from the UK is very envious.

Poppit Mar 8th 2011 5:01 am

We are in AB and love it, however, we had seriously considered NS after hearing how pretty it was. For us it came down to job prospects but intend visiting NS in the summer.

Don't be put off by others, each area has it's own attraction.

Good luck.

Poppit

Winston Green Mar 8th 2011 1:19 pm

We have lived in Alberta and loved every minute. However we now live in NS and love that as well. Both provinces have much to offer but are very different. Jobs are hard to come by in both provinces and networking is the key to sucess. NS has some lovely areas but it is very small and selecting the wrong one can leave you very isolated. The recce trip is the answer and I cannot recommend one enough. Whilst it can appear expensive without it NS can turn into a real struggle very quickly. Good luck and pm if you want any advice.

DandNHill Mar 9th 2011 9:46 am

I don't have much to contribute as we are still in England. We are hoping to be moving out in the Summer, fingers crossed, and we will be moving to Truro.
I agree with others you have to do the recce to be able to judge what it's like for yourselves.
There is something about Truro that just feels like home to us. We visited several other small towns whilst there and they didn't have that feel! (Personal experience).
But like others have said it's all about the work as you'd not be happy if you couldn't find work and were struggling for money.
Good luck and maybe see you in Truro one day :)

jameswales Mar 9th 2011 1:20 pm

Did your Albertan family tell you as they handed you a cup of tea with their tentacles? As they say: 'Don't let the door smack your tail on the way out' :p

I've experienced both, and settled in Halifax. I love it.

I was going to settle in Alberta, but I'm not that gullible!

Almost Canadian Mar 9th 2011 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by jameswales (Post 9228026)
Did your Albertan family tell you as they handed you a cup of tea with their tentacles? As they say: 'Don't let the door smack your tail on the way out' :p

I've experienced both, and settled in Halifax. I love it.

I was going to settle in Alberta, but I'm not that gullible!

Do please tell what makes Albertans gullible?

jameswales Mar 9th 2011 3:04 pm

The large population!

Tangram Mar 9th 2011 3:06 pm

Nova Scotia .... Good or bad ? Both, just like anywhere.

allycat231 Mar 11th 2011 5:13 pm

I have lived in Nova Scotia for 3 years and love it. The weather is very similar to the UK apart from the occasional Hurricane!!! Halifax is great plenty of pubs, best party town in Canada, next to St Johns!!! I live in Sackville, easy commute into Halifax.

donna9159 Mar 11th 2011 6:03 pm

Nova Scotia is lovely. If your wife needs help finding a nursing job, here is the person that helped me [email protected]

Good luck