Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia French connection

Nova Scotia French connection

Old Apr 1st 2006, 7:25 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nova Scotia French connection

Are there any areas of NS which are predominantly French-speaking?

Just curiosity, really, but with the history that NS has, I would imagine that there would be some 'French' and some 'English' areas........ place names are not always accurate guides to such things, so I thought I'd better ask!!
Old Apr 1st 2006, 9:26 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nova Scotia French connection

Originally Posted by 1066

Just curiosity, really, but with the history that NS has, I would imagine that there would be some 'French' and some 'English' areas........ place names are not always accurate guides to such things, so I thought I'd better ask!!
Did you get to 'le grand dérangement' bit in the history lesson?

Seriously, I'm not too sure about nowadays but my first love (awe... ) was Acadian (from NB) and a loooong time ago we went to Chéticamp to visit some of his relatives. I remember it being mostly French-speaking. There were other areas in NS too but I can't remember the names.
Old Apr 1st 2006, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Did you get to 'le grand dérangement' bit in the history lesson?

Seriously, I'm not too sure about nowadays but my first love (awe... ) was Acadian (from NB) and a loooong time ago we went to Chéticamp to visit some of his relatives. I remember it being mostly French-speaking. There were other areas in NS too but I can't remember the names.

You are right Cheticamp has alot of French speaking people...their own version! Also there are some areas of NS that you would think they are speaking french....but its not. You will also find french people down around Yarmouth, in the Metagan Area and along the shore. Other than that no not alot of Totally French Speaking people here.

Oh I might add it is 18C today!
Old Apr 1st 2006, 9:23 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 1066

We have friends (well distant relatives) here in Dartmouth who originate from Quebec. They are bilingual, but live their lives almost entirely in French, there are twin French schools - one in Halifax, one in Dartmouth and plenty of others which offer immersion. So even in the predominantly English capital city it's possible to live almost entirely in French.
Old Apr 2nd 2006, 3:18 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies, folks ...... all input gratefully received, as the actress said to .....