British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Nova Scotia...commute to halifax (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/nova-scotia-commute-halifax-906727/)

DaleBoy Dec 10th 2017 4:33 pm

Nova Scotia...commute to halifax

Hi all, moving to ns, got a job in Halifax. Just wondering what experiences people have with living and cummuting to Halifax. Cheers

Former Lancastrian Dec 10th 2017 4:36 pm

Re: Nova Scotia...commute to halifax

Originally Posted by DaleBoy (Post 12397301)
Hi all, moving to ns, got a job in Halifax. Just wondering what experiences people have with living and cummuting to Halifax. Cheers

Depends on where from. Toronto would be a pain in the ass Truro not as much.
Yarmouth would be long as well.

DaleBoy Dec 10th 2017 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian (Post 12397304)
Depends on where from. Toronto would be a pain in the ass Truro not as much.
Yarmouth would be long as well.

the reason I ask, is I am not sure where we were gong to be based, so looking for somewhere with a reasonable commute

sidjoloo Dec 11th 2017 12:48 am

We are staying in Dartmouth waiting for PR to go through. It's the same as most other places on the planet, if you can cope with a drive every day, you get more footage for your money on the house market. Even at rush hour, the traffic moves pretty well in the centre of the city, and you can be comfortably out of Halifax and in a house on a bay near the shore in half an hour, but it will depend on where you are working and how far you want to be driving after a day at work.

DaleBoy Dec 11th 2017 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by sidjoloo (Post 12397482)
We are staying in Dartmouth waiting for PR to go through. It's the same as most other places on the planet, if you can cope with a drive every day, you get more footage for your money on the house market. Even at rush hour, the traffic moves pretty well in the centre of the city, and you can be comfortably out of Halifax and in a house on a bay near the shore in half an hour, but it will depend on where you are working and how far you want to be driving after a day at work.

we r planning on renting...know any good sites? Most websites only do Halifax and Dartmouth...nothing outside

Siouxie Dec 11th 2017 4:16 pm

padmapper.ca
letsrent.ca

Both have maps you can use to find properties outside the main cities.

sidjoloo Dec 12th 2017 1:42 pm

We have been using Realtor.ca, but I have noticed that most of these sites are heavily weighted towards the sales market, not much about rentals!
It really depends what you want and how much you want to pay. Dartmouth is definitely cheaper. We've got some friends just moved in a 2 large 2 bed apartment on Baker Drive, brand new with all appliances for $1650 a month, but that's with all bills and a fitness suite in the block. Have you tried kijiji?

Collie Dec 12th 2017 3:13 pm

Check out local newspapers, kijiji and craigslist. (We found that local newspapers worked best)

Howefamily Dec 15th 2017 3:44 pm

The 102/118 is the fastest and easiest highway drive in, as I understand it. I used to commute in from exit 8 to Lower Water Street, Halifax, right at the far end and it was around 45 mins unless there was an incident on one of the bridges.

In the winter they always get one lane clear at the very least although frankly the 118 section past Dartmouth Crossing is always less taken care of, no clue why.
Also, if you have to go past the airport, unless the roads are bone dry and its the middle of summer there is typically someone off the road there. I put it down to bad driving (tailgating, lack of attention, texting, uselessness).

Sian22040 Dec 26th 2017 9:39 pm

We moved over in October we live close to downtown but when we buy we will be looking at a bit further away as you can get a lot more for your money. We been looking at areas in Timberlea which is around 20 mins longer with traffic but houses there look big for the money but the further out you go the more you’ll get . I would advise advise tho really research the area before you move we arranged our rental house via the internet and are really not happy with the area there are a few places here that you may want to avoid. It’s not the areas as a whole in most cases just maybe certain streets

debbie2801 Mar 5th 2018 5:57 pm

We moved to Upper Tantallon when we arrived 6 years ago and love it. A little distance out of the city, which isn't a bad thing but at a good time, we can get into Downtown in 30 minutes! However, we also work everyday in Elmsdale so 40 minutes up the 102 away from the city - so have the benefit of going against the traffic. Thankfully, no difficulties as experienced by the other person posting. In 3 years of working in Elmsdale, there have only been two days when we haven't traveled in for work due to snow - they keep the roads pretty clear. Getting out of our subdivision, slightly more challenging........So far, would definitely recommend this area for getting about and having wonderful space. All the infrastructure here too.

Anna Maria Mar 16th 2018 1:52 am

I've lived in Halifax almost 3 years and I wouldn't call it heavy traffic at all. Even if you experience rush hours all cars are still moving slowly, so like in London/Toronto you would be stuck in traffic for hours, here a street with 5 min drive with no traffic will take you 15 min. Really good. Dartmouth - Halifax route is the most affected simply because you need to cross over one of two bridges and they are always packed (specially during heavy rain or snow) You can also take "no bridge route" which is about 15-25 min longer drive depending on the peak/no peak hours.
People working downtown Halifax still choose to live 30-50 min drive away but it's usually a pleasant drive, lots of amazing Ocean view/lake view routes or 3 lanes highways. Hope that helps a little

Grimnorth Mar 17th 2018 11:24 pm

Sorry for the late reply, just joined.

We live up near Maitland, but the commute is easy. People working with my wife at Dartmouth Crossing live a lot closer in distance but take the same time as her to work due to traffic.

Hope it helps.