Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia Car Insurance...HOW MUCH?!?!

Nova Scotia Car Insurance...HOW MUCH?!?!

Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:30 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nova Scotia Car Insurance...HOW MUCH?!?!

We were insured on our 1999 Ford Windstar in BC for (I think) just over $2,000 a year and have been quoted twice that here in Nova Scotia! What am I doing wrong?! Can anyone point me in the direction of a non-skinting insurance company?

many thanks in advance.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:53 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia Car Insurance...HOW MUCH?!?!

Jeez, I wish I could help you, we are paying an astromomical amount too, and we went through a broker who tried genuinely VERY hard to get a lower price. For us it all comes down to not yet having an NS licence...........then it reduces by at least 1500.............how stupid is that? Glad we are a one car family for now, we could never afford it otherwise!

Maybe someone can offer more help. Do you have a no claims bonus, or whatever the equivalent is in BC? I went to Cluett Insurance, they were very good, and again brokers so they got the best deal available to us.
Old Feb 5th 2008, 11:59 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Jeez, I wish I could help you, we are paying an astromomical amount too, and we went through a broker who tried genuinely VERY hard to get a lower price. For us it all comes down to not yet having an NS licence...........then it reduces by at least 1500.............how stupid is that? Glad we are a one car family for now, we could never afford it otherwise!

Maybe someone can offer more help. Do you have a no claims bonus, or whatever the equivalent is in BC? I went to Cluett Insurance, they were very good, and again brokers so they got the best deal available to us.
We don't have any no claims as we were only in BC for 7 months. I shall have to tell OH to sell the car and get a skate board!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:00 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Will the sakteboard come with $1million Liability for when he falls off or falls onto an unsuspecting pedestrian??
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:07 am

Will the sakteboard come with $1million Liability for when he falls off or falls onto an unsuspecting pedestrian??
Ohhhhh no! He will give the skater dude hand sign (which he learned from an MTV program...ahem he is actually 37...) and skate on by!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

OMG. I am dreading paying my car insurance when I come. I got caught speeding on one of my previous trips so I have points on my licence before I actually get one.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
OMG. I am dreading paying my car insurance when I come. I got caught speeding on one of my previous trips so I have points on my licence before I actually get one.
My OH was caught speeding whilst in BC when he was still on his UK licence and driving a hire car.....he never paid and they never chased it up!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
My OH was caught speeding whilst in BC when he was still on his UK licence and driving a hire car.....he never paid and they never chased it up!
Really! I didn't want to take the chance in case it came up in our paperwork and caused a problem.

I felt a bit cheated really. I had come from one speed zone into another without seeing the sign. I was pulled over. I accept that I was going faster then the limit, but the police guy said that I was going faster than I (or my passenger) think I was. It was just my word against his so I didn't see the point arguing.

When I read my ticket I had a $400 fine and then I got 4 points on the licence that I don't actually have.
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:36 am
NS covern member #1

Seriously - destinationnovascotia.............you are such a bad girl! I am not sure my mother would approve of us being friends at all Now its all coming out, in trouble with the law, wild and wreckless behind the wheel of a car....what next!

When are you coming over, it all sounds too good to be true!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:37 am

Really! I didn't want to take the chance in case it came up in our paperwork and caused a problem.

I felt a bit cheated really. I had come from one speed zone into another without seeing the sign. I was pulled over. I accept that I was going faster then the limit, but the police guy said that I was going faster than I (or my passenger) think I was. It was just my word against his so I didn't see the point arguing.

When I read my ticket I had a $400 fine and then I got 4 points on the licence that I don't actually have.
$400 dollars?! Flippin heck where in Canada did you get the ticket? OH's was $130 dollars and a slapped wrist!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

$400 dollars?! Flippin heck where in Canada did you get the ticket? OH's was $130 dollars and a slapped wrist!
In NS, about 10 minutes East of Dartmouth, so watch out!!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Seriously - destinationnovascotia.............you are such a bad girl! I am not sure my mother would approve of us being friends at all Now its all coming out, in trouble with the law, wild and wreckless behind the wheel of a car....what next!

When are you coming over, it all sounds too good to be true!
I know, my family have not let me forget it. I criminal in Canada before I even live there. Just think what I can do when I am resident
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:56 am

I know, my family have not let me forget it. I criminal in Canada before I even live there. Just think what I can do when I am resident
Gosh yes....let's make sure we go out for the night when you get here...!!!
Old Feb 6th 2008, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Gosh yes....let's make sure we go out for the night when you get here...!!!
Just don't ask me to drive
Old Feb 6th 2008, 1:14 am
NS covern member #1

Thats what OH's are for.............and besides, AmyDavid's OH seems to be a cheaper risk than you.......................just saying, thats all................

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.