Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia Car Insurance companies

Nova Scotia Car Insurance companies

Old Sep 11th 2012, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Smithontour is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Nova Scotia Car Insurance companies

Can anybody please recommend a good car insurance company in Nova Scotia?

I havent held car insurance for over 3 years so I will be classified as a new driver here. I will however be getting my NS license on Friday.

Had a wide range of quotes from Johnsons, TD, Kings insurance and Zive insurance brokers. Just wondering if anybody knows of any others that offer cheap prices?

Thanks
Old Sep 11th 2012, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to beholdAdrianR is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Nova Scotia Car Insurance companies

Go to a broker - they can access the best and widest range.

I dealt with AA Munro in the past - very helpful and conscientious.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

allycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond reputeallycat231 has a reputation beyond repute

Try Founders they have an office in Fall River.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 1:43 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree about using a broker, but going to more than 1 or 2 is pretty pointless. They all use the same insurance companies, and companies wont usually quote to 2 different brokers.

Johnsons are usually the best.
Old Sep 15th 2012, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

We used Fairway ins. They have offices around the province. I think we're with Aviva. It costs us about the same as the UK including a 19 yr old but we are in very rural NS and the rules are very different to urban NS!
Old Sep 17th 2012, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all,

Yeah I went to a couple of brokers and got quoted very similar prices, both with Aviva. Both said I could be insured on my British licence as long as I switch to NS licence within 3 months. Great news that I don't actually have to take a test, just pay for the licence. Time to get the car on the road!
Old Sep 17th 2012, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

mumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nicemumof2 is just really nice

Johnsons cheapest by far.. even after 5 years I looked at shopping around haha nothing comes close
Old Sep 20th 2012, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all

For the first year try out Eisenhauer Insurance in Halifax, Rob Peters managed to seriously undercut another brokers quote of $2500 down to $800 for one vehicle! we have both of our vehicles and a tractor and our house insured for the price of $2500!

Welcome to Nova scotia btw
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

laser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud oflaser558 has much to be proud of

Here I am in Bear River, Nova Scotia. For my first year, my insurance was with Fairway who dealt with Aviva. I went for collision only and it was $530. The renewal price for this year was to be $525. Too much! In the end, I went with Johnsons from Newfoundland. Cost: $289. A saving of $236, plus Airmiles and also a $25 Esso gas card!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 2:22 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all your comments guys and girls! Mumof2, you have great taste in football (yes our football).

So in the end I went to a few brokers. 2 of them quoted me $1400 with Aviva. Cheapest I could find so went with them. Said it would reduce to $600 after the first year. I couldnt get any discount as I am classified as a new driver here.

It will have to do for now! However once my girlfriend (Canadian) passes her test, she will get discount through TD as she is a Alumni from SMU. So should halve of premium.

So are there any British meetup groups or anything similar around here? Need to make more friends
Old Sep 27th 2012, 12:18 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laser558
Here I am in Bear River, Nova Scotia. For my first year, my insurance was with Fairway who dealt with Aviva. I went for collision only and it was $530. The renewal price for this year was to be $525. Too much! In the end, I went with Johnsons from Newfoundland. Cost: $289. A saving of $236, plus Airmiles and also a $25 Esso gas card!
Laser558, we don't live in urban NS so it's much cheaper. I know hubby said it compared to the UK in our case down here.
Old Sep 27th 2012, 12:30 am
No really, it doesn't

jimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond reputejimmydean has a reputation beyond repute

We used broker Caldwell Roach in Truro they quoted us with Wawanesa $675 fully comp for 2010 Dodge Caravan.......after our arrival in NS they only wanted to see a dvla print out of our driving licence record. which cost £5. The premium was further reduced if you take home insurance out with them.