British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Nova Scotia Car Insurance. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/nova-scotia-car-insurance-681172/)

Steve.gibbs007 Aug 14th 2010 11:55 am

Nova Scotia Car Insurance.

Morning again everyone,

I'm trying to get car insurance and it's proving quite a challenge. We moved here (NS) in April this year. Since then I've received my visa, permanent residency, SIN number and secured myself a job. We now need to be a two-car family. I've seen cars I like but when I go online for insurance quotes I'm being quoted 6, 7 and 8 THOUSAND $'s a year! I think it's because I'm classed as having to a new license because I had to get my NS license when I came.
So my question is this: Does anyone know of a company or broker that takes into account that you've had a UK license for years and provides cover as such?

Thanks for any info.

Steve.

Flogger Aug 14th 2010 11:57 am

Re: Nova Scotia Car Insurance.

Try Johnsons

http://www.johnson.ca/

They took into account our history, we paid about $900 a year for our dodge caravan with full coverage:thumbup:

nikki dreaming Aug 14th 2010 12:01 pm

we found the online quoting system here is not particularly accurate as you are not able to provide the exact information, re uk history/licence etc, better of speaking to somebody

AdrianR Aug 14th 2010 12:20 pm

Try AA Munro - NS based brokerage. As Nikki said, it's better to speak to someone in this instance.

robert_masters Aug 14th 2010 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Steve.gibbs007 (Post 8776651)
Morning again everyone,

I'm trying to get car insurance and it's proving quite a challenge. We moved here (NS) in April this year. Since then I've received my visa, permanent residency, SIN number and secured myself a job. We now need to be a two-car family. I've seen cars I like but when I go online for insurance quotes I'm being quoted 6, 7 and 8 THOUSAND $'s a year! I think it's because I'm classed as having to a new license because I had to get my NS license when I came.
So my question is this: Does anyone know of a company or broker that takes into account that you've had a UK license for years and provides cover as such?

Thanks for any info.

Steve.

Hiya Steve

Just had a little laugh. My brother was a Steve Gibbs from Bedford, UK!!

Angela

Nicola N-A Aug 14th 2010 5:05 pm

we used Eisenhauer insurance brokers - took into account some UK no claims (not all, but every bit helps). After the first year our premiums went down drastically!! Email me if you want any other info.

swoops Aug 14th 2010 9:44 pm

Originally Posted by Flogger (Post 8776654)
Try Johnsons

http://www.johnson.ca/

They took into account our history, we paid about $900 a year for our dodge caravan with full coverage:thumbup:

Same here...got 2 with Johnsons, SUV & car full coverage with breakdown for around $1400, only been in NS since Feb

mumof2 Aug 14th 2010 11:10 pm

Johnsons for me as well, 2 car family & they take into a/c full UK history

budcolin Aug 14th 2010 11:12 pm

Johnsons take your UK history into account.We paid about $800 per year per car for the firstyear and it dropped to about $600 the second year

Merry Aug 15th 2010 12:16 am

Johnsons didn't work out for us but try Bauld insurance in Bedford - they were great, just speak to Dawn Marie there. Our insurance is no more expensive than in the UK - got fantastic deal and they recognised our previous history.

johngrimes Aug 15th 2010 2:22 am

We also used Eisenhauer Insurance Inc, they used my wifes 6 years no claims and my 4 years no claim from my company car insurance. Costs us about $70 per month and we have a Van so they cost a bit more.

You can contact them at 7071 Bayers Road. Cindy Parrott was the lady that sorted us out.

transatlantic Aug 15th 2010 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by johngrimes (Post 8777819)
We also used Eisenhauer Insurance Inc, they used my wifes 6 years no claims and my 4 years no claim from my company car insurance. Costs us about $70 per month and we have a Van so they cost a bit more.

You can contact them at 7071 Bayers Road. Cindy Parrott was the lady that sorted us out.

We also used them. As it turned out we only lived in NS for about a month but when I came to cancel the policy they were also pretty quick to refund me!

Snort Aug 16th 2010 4:43 pm

Johnsons here as well, the letter saying we had 8 years no claims from our UK insurance company helped a great deal. (You have to specifically ask for actual years otherwise they give you the standard 5 year letter)

As another area to look at I dont know if you are with a recognized association like Tech Nova or other registered body, but my daughter has just passed an esthetics course and as such is a part of their association, as such she was entitled to 15% discount through a group insurance Broker, she had $1000 shaved off of her previous quotes, a saving well worth repeating. By the way as a point of reference she is a first time driver first car and her quote ended up around $1500 for the first year.

Arris Oct 11th 2010 5:15 pm

We landed on 23rd September, had a great price from Johnsons (took hubby's 9 years no claims into account) but have been told we need to have passed our test within 30 days of the policy starting - tests are booked up till December!

Anyone else come across this as i've not heard or read if anyone has?

Thanks

swoops Oct 11th 2010 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by Arris (Post 8911346)
We landed on 23rd September, had a great price from Johnsons (took hubby's 9 years no claims into account) but have been told we need to have passed our test within 30 days of the policy starting - tests are booked up till December!

Anyone else come across this as i've not heard or read if anyone has?

Thanks

We went with Johnsons...got a really good rate, but thats ture about the 30 days with them..we nearly died..chin hit the floor :eek: :eek: but all came good :thumbsup: nothing like some stress in taking your driving test again with that on your mind :ohmy: the test only took 15 mins tops...just make sure to read their version of the highway code from cover to cover and then some..theres some really dumb questions that come up in the written test...