Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia Car Insurance.

Nova Scotia Car Insurance.

Old Oct 11th 2010, 7:34 pm
887 lb pumpkin

flipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura aboutflipance has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Nova Scotia Car Insurance.

Johnson Inc. here too, 2 Chevys both 5.7 Lts. $563.00 for me and my wife.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 8:56 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Arris
We landed on 23rd September, had a great price from Johnsons (took hubby's 9 years no claims into account) but have been told we need to have passed our test within 30 days of the policy starting - tests are booked up till December!

Anyone else come across this as i've not heard or read if anyone has?

Thanks
You should try all the Access Nova Scotia driving centres, and see if any can take you sooner.We wanted to take ours in Sackville, but there was a 4 week wait, but Halifax took us within a week.
Old Oct 11th 2010, 10:01 pm
In the boonies

drivemel2 is on a distinguished road

I can vouch for AAMunroe. I saved over $1000 on insurance with them and that was against Johnsons. Quite often you get discount for multiple policies if you combine Home Insurance with it too.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 10:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by budcolin
You should try all the Access Nova Scotia driving centres, and see if any can take you sooner.We wanted to take ours in Sackville, but there was a 4 week wait, but Halifax took us within a week.
Thanks, was this recently? I was told at the weekend that the Halifax test route had changed recently by a driving instructor.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:15 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

I (Canadian) am currently insured with RBC Insurance for one month. I went to add my boyfriend (British) to my car insurance and they quoted us ~$3000/year. CUrrently I am paying ~$1300/year. They will not accept any UK Driving History and have put my BF down as a brand new driver.

I called Johnsons and they are now quoting us both at ~$1133/year because they are taking into account my BF's UK Driving History.

I am planning on switching this week - does anyone know anything about cancellation fees? Will RBC Insurance charge any?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 9:34 pm
Wellington NS

budcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud ofbudcolin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Arris
Thanks, was this recently? I was told at the weekend that the Halifax test route had changed recently by a driving instructor.
No, it was just over a year ago...good luck
Old Oct 13th 2010, 12:35 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

Originally Posted by budcolin
No, it was just over a year ago...good luck
The Halifax Access Nova Scotia office just relocated to Bayers Lake on Sept. 27. I'm assuming since they have a new location they would have to have a new testing route.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

YIKES...that's unbeleivable.......

I'm being quoted 6, 7 and 8 THOUSAND $'s a year!
Old Oct 14th 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

sconehead will become famous soon enoughsconehead will become famous soon enough

Terry Noiles at Stevens and Smith got me a great deal. They are based in Dartmouth. (902) 463-5424
Old May 13th 2011, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

JandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to allJandG is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Merry
Johnsons didn't work out for us but try Bauld insurance in Bedford - they were great, just speak to Dawn Marie there. Our insurance is no more expensive than in the UK - got fantastic deal and they recognised our previous history.
I have just finished speaking to Dawn Marie at Bauld - we have a current policy with Johnsons and are looking to add a second car...Johnsons charge us $1862 for our current vehicle and wanted a further $1742 for the second car...Bauld have quoted us $2404 for both vehicles with exactly the same cover, saving us over $1200/year!!!

Fortunately, we are paying Johnsons monthly, so we will be cancelling that policy and moving to Bauld! The company that Bauld are using is called Wawanesa - they seem to be by far the best for taking into account your UK driving and insurance history...
Old May 15th 2011, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Was: Cullicudden, Scotland. Now: Hammonds Plains, NS
Merry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to beholdMerry is a splendid one to behold

We have used Dawn Marie at Baulds and found them excellent. We have two cars and the house insurance with them and that also gets a further discount.

In our first year we also had two claims, first time someone ran into the back of one of the cars - so their fault. The second time Mr Merry ran into a parked car in a Wal-Mart carpark, no doubt who was at fault then!

Wawanessa were excellent to deal with both times, which is at the end of the day, more important in a way than the broker. Also when renewals came around, there was hardly any difference, we were amazed considering the claims.
Old May 15th 2011, 3:54 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Merry
We have used Dawn Marie at Baulds and found them excellent. We have two cars and the house insurance with them and that also gets a further discount.

In our first year we also had two claims, first time someone ran into the back of one of the cars - so their fault. The second time Mr Merry ran into a parked car in a Wal-Mart carpark, no doubt who was at fault then!

Wawanessa were excellent to deal with both times, which is at the end of the day, more important in a way than the broker. Also when renewals came around, there was hardly any difference, we were amazed considering the claims.

We also found Baulds much cheaper than Johnsons, especially if you combine house and car insurance. We were told by our RBC consulant that it's not worth considering insurance with them until you've had your NS drivers licence for more than 7 years.