Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Nova Scotia - but where?

Nova Scotia - but where?

Old Jan 23rd 2008, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nova Scotia - but where?

Of course there is nothing wrong with having a passion for a place. I don't think that anyone said that the North Shore is awful, in fact many agreed that it is a beautiful place.

I think that people just want to add a touch of realism. Whilst we have been told that there are job opportunities, there us no doubt that there are less than in Halifax. Most people need to have good employment opportunities for themselves and their families. Given the difficulties that people have getting jobs in Canada at all in certain fields, it would be hard to narrow your options down to such a specific location.

As for the community identified route. It sounds excellent for those who can afford to do it. For many however, living in a community for months without even being able to apply for a job is prohibitive financially.

Those people who have been critical of the North Shore sales pitch do not themselves oversell the area that they live. Not because they don't love it, just because they realize that its not for everyone. They are just trying to give a balanced view.

I want to live of the Eastern Shore. I love it. I would not recommend it to everyone, I would try to give a balanced insight into the pros and cons. Many like the Fall River area, personally it's not for me and I wouldn't want people to keep banging on about how it is the center of the universe. It may be for them, just not for everyone.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 4:32 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Sure, no problem. I live on the North Shore of Nova Scotia, have done for over three years. I think I know the area pretty well, have a good "slant" on the place (albeit with practical and honest eyes). What is it you'd like to know?

Originally Posted by deanjp32
Maybe you should expend some of your energy on promoting where you live on here rather than slating others who feel passionately about the area they have choosen to live.

This forum is about people who want to know more on a particular subject getting honest answers from members on the forum. Everyone has his/her own slant on things however on this forum and there is nothing wrong with having passion for a place
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Brown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant futureBrown Bear has a brilliant future

Well I for one would like to Thank "Ontheboatout"
For taking the time to post this information and links. It may not be of use to everyone but surely if it helps even just one person it's worth it's weight in Gold..

Brown Bear...
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

deanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nicedeanjp32 is just really nice

exactly brown bear!!!. Maybe the North shore is not for everyone but it is for some so why not promote it? As a whole all on the Canadian forum love the country we want to move or are already in so why not promote it.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of

It is getting faster - just a few months now - they are being very flexible. Work Permits can be obtained beforehand as is often the way. Many may be able to afford a property in Nova Scotia now but in five years time it may well be prohibitively expensive. Cumberland County announced today an AVERAGE increase in property values was 12% last year, with 25-50% in some areas.

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
As for the community identified route. It sounds excellent for those who can afford to do it. For many however, living in a community for months without even being able to apply for a job is prohibitive financially.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Daisyboo
Thank you to everyone that responded to my previous message - unfortunately that thread has now been closed. As I said I'm still at the beginning of my application. I've read much of this site and have decided that Nova Scotia is probably the best place for me, mainly due to the milder climate. I've looked at lots of different towns but it is very hard to get an idea of a place from a few pictures.

I'm a townie, so don't want to live out in the sticks. I've lived near to the sea for most of my life so would prefer a place like that, and finally I am really into Drama so would have to be in an area with a local drama society. If anyone knows of a town that may fit this description please get back to me. I know that work will also play a large part in where I settle but if I find a suitable town I can start looking.

Thanks very much

Daisy x
Try Bedford - best of both worlds! it's got everything you need town and country.

Liff