Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NOVA SCOTIA BACK TO UK

NOVA SCOTIA BACK TO UK

Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:03 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOVA SCOTIA BACK TO UK

Originally Posted by henrythenavigator
I have been watching this post with interest and felt the urge to have my "penny's" worth!

What is of interest is that on the forum index, the post with the most views (with the exception of a Zoom crisis one) is this one!! There must be many folks like me who find this whole tale quite extraordinary?

I normally shop in Sainsburys but had to go to Asda today en route to an appointment.

1. Shopping is MUCH cheaper in Asda (I didn't quite realise just how much cheaper) and more importantly and of more relevance.....

2. Chickens were 5 - 6 GBP each.... so chicken even here is not as cheap ('scuse the pun!) as it used to be.
Well I guess this thread was started for many reasons and the things mentioned were simply the symptoms rather than the diagnosis of *why* this couple find NS not to their liking.

I myself wrote a very explosive post that ran and ran when I was leaving NZ, and I was picked up on every little comment, specifically my kids not having properly fitted shoes (as I recall) because there was no Clarks equivalent. I remember people marvelling over my apparent reasons for leaving, and essentially it boils down to NZ wasnt for me and all those things that others put up with, totally made it even worse for us. I see this thread in the same way. The mind is already made up and the view point is scewed in the direction of leaving.

I hasten to add it took me 4 years to throw the towel in in NZ and at that point I can call it an interested part of our travels. A week constitutes a bad holiday and really shouldnt put other new comers from their plans. Some people make poor choices in life, doesnt mean you will be one of them.

Don start me on why UK chicken might be cheaper, I am bordering on vegetarian at the best of times, but cheap meat is cheap at a cost to the animal in my experience.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:45 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Don't start me on why UK chicken might be cheaper, I am bordering on vegetarian at the best of times, but cheap meat is cheap at a cost to the animal in my experience.
Not necessarily...

Well, if you look in the right places you can find better quality, non-injected, "free range" (for want of a better description) meat here in NS for lower prices than in the UK.

I pay $2.65 per lb for whole chicken which is free range, allowed to live between 6 and 8 months, naturally fed and consequently healthier and bigger than the supermarket birds. I think $2.65 per pound on today's ex rate works out at roughly GBP1.40 per lb or GBP3.07 per kg which is roughly the same as Sainsbury's charge for a "small whole chicken" (based on their website prices)

I also pay $2.50 per lb for a 45lb box of beef usually containing three 3-4lb roasts, 10lb of mince, 5lb stew beef and the remainder in steaks. Grass-fed, tasty and hung for as long as I request (within reason!)

The only disadvantage is that it is "slow food" and I can't get it whenever I want, I have to buy it when the farmer says it's ready - hence my freeze currently has 21 chickens in it...

Obviously you can't find suppliers like this in 7 days...
Old Sep 26th 2008, 8:56 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Was going to post a lengthy reply

but noticed that this had become another

please don't post negative coments about canada because we don't want to hear them thread
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:17 pm
Dismember

Originally Posted by MikeUK
please don't post negative coments about canada because we don't want to hear them thread
Is this aimed at me?

I was just commented on chicken which was part of the original thread.

I'm am more p*ssed of with Canada and NS in particular now than I have been at anytime since moving, I was just commenting on a point of the thread.

If there's a thread on how unbelievably intransigent a large proportion of Nova Scotians are or what incredibly bad drivers they are when you put more than 4 cars on the same bit of road I would be right there, but my comment was about chicken and meat in general which was the way the thread was going.

Anyway, I've found this thread comedic right from the start, moving without a recce is foolhardy at best (I should know I did it), to give up after 7 days leaves me lost for words.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:30 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Was going to post a lengthy reply

but noticed that this had become another

Not sure thats the case, but also not sure it is a thread about bashing the place either The nub of the issue is surely held in the original post, and the OP's dislike of NS based on such a short time here. I am sure you can say whatever you feel about Canada, we are all reasonable enough to know that nothing is perfect and you take the rough with the smooth, with hopefully overall more smooth.

The TV is crap.......does that help
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

lenart will become famous soon enough

When I was on a reccie in NS June this year I thought the TV was great wife had to force me away from it I suppose its a matter of personal taste.

Cheers Len
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:37 pm
NS covern member #1

Originally Posted by lenart
When I was on a reccie in NS June this year I thought the TV was great wife had to force me away from it I suppose its a matter of personal taste.

Cheers Len
well.......its not that bad.........I give in - NS is PERFECT

Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:40 pm
Dismember

The TV is crap.......does that help
Bah, I'll put my hand up and say I'm the only one here who loves the TV.

No place in my life for gritty, realistic (*read depressing*) dramas.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:41 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

The mind is already made up and the view point is scewed in the direction of leaving.
I think this is probably so true!

Before we came here a wise old gentleman who had lived in several different countries advised me that "Marmite" was one of the most often cited reasons for people returning home.

I laughed at the time, but since being on this site for so long, I do see that it is the little things that become BIG in the context of really not liking where you are at.

However, t's still hard to take in the fact that one could come to that decision after such a short time here .... It also seems incredible that one could come here expecting to be able to live without income for 6 months, and then decide within a week that they'd made a mistake of such proportions.

I think that this quote from the original poster: We thought this would change our lives and be a better life but the fact is that we had it all at home a house of our own that we could afford to run and have nice, a car each, money for holidays meals out and basically a nice life- all the things we came here for. is the most telling.

I think if you have all those things, then there has to be some other great pull to come here ..... evidently, for you, there is not. Sorry you learned the hard way, and good luck settling back home!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:44 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

well.......its not that bad.........I give in - NS is PERFECT

Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

I have travelled to various parts of the world and Nova Scotia has to be one of the best TV viewing I have come across.

Len
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:56 pm
Dismember

Cheers Len
Crikey and you came in what is the TV shutdown season over here, what the hell were you watching? Imagine what it's like in the winter when all the major channels are fighting for viewer - yes, it's heaven.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 9:59 pm
Forum Regular

I forget what I was watching but it kept me entertained I am sure its gets better in out of season.

Len
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:02 pm
Dismember

I forget what I was watching but it kept me entertained I am sure its gets better in out of season.

Len
Wouldn't know I'm usually outside in the summer.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 10:09 pm
Forum Regular

I prefer to watch TV then go out more relaxing have 4 TV's in the house bedroom lounge and Kitchen etc.

Cheers Len

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.