Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NOVA SCOTIA BACK TO UK

NOVA SCOTIA BACK TO UK

Old Sep 25th 2008, 6:38 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOVA SCOTIA BACK TO UK

Originally Posted by dexdaw
OK you've got me!!!!!!!
Typical matelot eh!
I was going to contribute sensibly to this thread, but my wife said it all, then I just got sidetracked
Old Sep 25th 2008, 7:42 pm
I'm here somewhere

DSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant futureDSLJFreeman has a brilliant future

with regards to the op - is there any particular reason why your oh doesn't want to stay in ns, to spend all that time and energy getting over there then deciding after just a week that it's not for you seems a bit hasty.

You really need to give it time, nothing happens over night.

2 years ago we moved about 50 miles away from my hometown (all this in preparation for the big move to Canada) and even then it was tough, we didn't know anyone, had no clue about the town. It took us a good year before we felt settled and now the town we are in now feels more like home than our hometown iykwim.

I know it will be completely different when we move to Canada, but I'm hoping that it will hold us in good stead that it wont feel like home straight away, it will be hard getting used to a different culture, but we have young children and they in themselves are a conversation starter.

I hope that if you do decide to go back to the UK, it's for all the right reasons, think of the reasons why you wanted to move away, I wish you all the best whatever you decide to do.

Laura x
Old Sep 25th 2008, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

moosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud ofmoosey2canada has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sans
It was a big risk Upping sticks, and moving half way round the world without even having a glimps first.............
But hey at least your big enough to hold your hands up and say.......we made a mistake
And yes i totally agree on the price of things, we was at the opposite side of Canada.....so it may of been slightly different, we found it same cost of living on half the wages......compared to where we lived in the UK and that was only 25 miles from Doncaster.

You maybe should of posted this in TMBTUK forum
Thanks very much for this, i really appreciate it!!!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

McNicoll family is an unknown quantity at this point

In response to the OP, It is a shame that you have decided that it isn't for you, but how very brave of you to admit it now. I wish you luck for your move back, I'm sure it won't be easy.

As for shopping, when we were in Alberta we found a lot of things were cheaper, like steaks, and our eldest boy was most impressed with the fact that you could choose a crab or lobster in Sobeys and they would cook it for you whilst you shopped!

The quality of vegetables was better too, although we didn't like the waxy shiny apples. They got a big from both boys!

Anyway, good luck!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 11:46 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by McNicoll family
As for shopping, when we were in Alberta we found a lot of things were cheaper
Yep.

In England my take home pay, minus mortgage and multiplied by 12 was around £7k. That was just for me, living alone in my 2 bed terraced house in a cheaper part of Bristol. I 'saved' little, mainly living wage to wage.

Now I'm mortgage free with an income that has mostly been around the equivalent of £10k.

But it's been stretching for a family of four including two teens instead of just me.

Now, obviously heating costs are a lot more. We pay (all electric) around $3k a year. My gas and electric was less than a third of that back in England.

So I had £7k in England, just for me after mortgage and then £10k mortgage free here - but the extra heating costs use up £1k or more of that extra £3k.

So taking away mortgage and heat/lights, £9k has been doing for four in Canada what £7k did for one in the UK.

It must be something to do with being able to buy enough things for less. Or is there another explanation?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
So taking away mortgage and heat/lights, £9k has been doing for four in Canada what £7k did for one in the UK.

It must be something to do with being able to buy enough things for less. Or is there another explanation?
What about the disproportionately lower cost of feeding, clothing and housing marginal people? If one person costs n to keep going, 2 people don't cost 2n, "two can live as cheaply as one". Perhaps 4 people routinely cost 9/7n to maintain.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:54 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What about the disproportionately lower cost of feeding, clothing and housing marginal people? If one person costs n to keep going, 2 people don't cost 2n, "two can live as cheaply as one". Perhaps 4 people routinely cost 9/7n to maintain.
Agreed, two can live as cheaply as one.

But I don't think 4 can live nearly as cheaply as 1 without enough prices being lower. Remember that I took housing and heating out of the equation so most of the remaining costs do increase proportionately.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 12:57 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Have you seen the OP's other thread about cake? So somethings are better than home!
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:06 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the single most significant thing in this thread was that when asked "why did you move here in the first place?" the OP replied "We wanted a better life ie 5 bed home massive garden". So there you have it. The reason for moving here was completely flawed and somewhat shallow. Whereas those people who moved here because they were looking for things like a better place to raise their kids, beautiful scenery, a more outdoor lifestyle, lower crime and nicer neighbourhoods, because they fould the local people overwhelmingly friendly ete etc have probably settled fairly successfully. I've said it before I know but just wanting a bigger house than you can afford in the UK on its own is really the wrong reason to move to Canada.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:13 pm
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moosey2canada
We arrived in NS last wek after deliberating for over 2 years we decided to just pack up and come to NS got a vistors visa for 6 months thought we ahd plenty of money did loads of research on net and books etc but didnt comeover for scouting trip, assumed everything would be ok. ITS NOT. we have worked out our finances and what is alot of money in the the UK isn't alot of money here- houses inside our budget are miles from anywhere, cars are expensive, shopping is expensive chicken is $10 FOR 1 SMALL BIRD dont think thats only £5 its not when youre earning dollars its 10 dollars! petrol is dearer than home in equivelents, if we live here, bearing in mind we are both professional people with good jobs, we couldnt afford chicken in our weekly budget, milk is 2 dollars a litre - more than petrol. fruit is extortionate please dont reply that maybe we are shopping inthe wrong place we looked at the three top supermarkets and barring a few cents here and there it doesnt vary much. If you like a drink get ready to get a bank loan to enjoy one, 24 330ml budwiesers is $40 dollars dont ask about spirits. We thought this would change our lives and be a better life but the fact is that we had it all at home a house of our own that we could afford to run and have nice, a car each, money for holidays meals out and basically a nice life- all the things we came here for. So now we are going home in 3 weeks (when our flat runs out of lease) embarrassed, (we had a huge party before we left) a few thousend pounds lighter and homeless and unemployed and to be honest going home is more frightening than coming to NS ever was i feel like such a failure, if anyone can put a positive glean on this i would appreciate it but only as long as its not well at least now you know or at least you tried.
Is part of the problem that because you are on a visitor visa its hard to make a proper assessment of what your finances will be like when you are working here? For instance do you have an assumption about what you are going to earn and thats what you're assessing the cost of living against? I dont disagree that the cost of living in NS, especially near Halifax, can be much higher than people tend to think. You see people living well here - people have boats, cottages they go to at the weekends etc but you really need to earn good money to live well here. If someone's told you that you're going to earn $50k then I'm not at all suprised if you're wondering how you're going to survive on it. Why not just speed-up the job search and start earning to stop the drain on your finances?
Old Sep 26th 2008, 2:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Admittedly Canada is not cheap. But you will lose money in the first couple of months as set up costs. There is no getting away from that fact. Only giving it three weeks is a little premature and you should review the situation once you are fully settled. If you move back now you may regret it for not having tried harder.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:14 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSpaul
Is part of the problem that because you are on a visitor visa its hard to make a proper assessment of what your finances will be like when you are working here? For instance do you have an assumption about what you are going to earn and thats what you're assessing the cost of living against? I dont disagree that the cost of living in NS, especially near Halifax, can be much higher than people tend to think. You see people living well here - people have boats, cottages they go to at the weekends etc but you really need to earn good money to live well here. If someone's told you that you're going to earn $50k then I'm not at all suprised if you're wondering how you're going to survive on it. Why not just speed-up the job search and start earning to stop the drain on your finances?
I was thinking the same. And further to the OP's comments about not working out the value of things in pounds because you are here earning the $, therefore a $10 chicken is a 10 pound chicken. In the Uk I earnt (pt) 800 pounds a month, I earn more than double that in $ here per month...........so doesnt that make it a 5 pound chicken?

I think youth and being unprepared is sending them back to the frying pan/fire. But what if in 6 months time they come to regret all that needless expense and wish they had stayed.

I also wonder whether someone should tell them that it does snow here. Just in case they werent aware.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

treehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nicetreehavn is just really nice

Originally Posted by NSpaul
I've said it before I know but just wanting a bigger house than you can afford in the UK on its own is really the wrong reason to move to Canada.
How about maybe wanting to afford to own a home one day full stop? We're two professionals living in east London, 'home' is currently a rented cockroach and rat afflicted flat above a chicken take away. The whole '5-bedroom house' aspect is ridiculous imho (as is deciding to jack it all in after a week, although props for following their gut instinct I guess) but I'd be lying in that moving back to Canada isn't partially driven by the desire to one day afford to buy a home.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 4:13 pm
NS covern member #1

Originally Posted by treehavn
How about maybe wanting to afford to own a home one day full stop? We're two professionals living in east London, 'home' is currently a rented cockroach and rat afflicted flat above a chicken take away. The whole '5-bedroom house' aspect is ridiculous imho (as is deciding to jack it all in after a week, although props for following their gut instinct I guess) but I'd be lying in that moving back to Canada isn't partially driven by the desire to one day afford to buy a home.
The point being made isnt that they made a poor choice because they wanted more for their living situation (ie the big house), but that this sounds as if it was the only motivator. That is part of wanting a new start, space to grow and a new lifestyle. You have to balance out what works for you and what isnt ideal. I chose to come with my kids because of the space, the education opportunities, the proximity to the rest of Canada and the US for travel, the closeness to the UK and family etc, etc. However, here I currently am in a job that is far from my ideal, but I make it what it is and I can afford my totally comparable mortgage. In the UK we spent the same money each month on a house that was a box, here we have an acre, a view that is stunning, 4-5 beds and a cinema room (well a small windowless room with a big TV and surround sound). For us, overall and in countless ways, we are better off.

But its not just about a house. And how long is week or even 3 to honestly evaluate what someone can or cant afford, what income you can expect and even where to start looking at houses? Its cold feet and maybe a gut reaction that will be deeply regretted.
Old Sep 26th 2008, 6:11 pm
Just Joined

henrythenavigator is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Poppy2
The point being made isnt that they made a poor choice because they wanted more for their living situation (ie the big house), but that this sounds as if it was the only motivator. That is part of wanting a new start, space to grow and a new lifestyle. You have to balance out what works for you and what isnt ideal. I chose to come with my kids because of the space, the education opportunities, the proximity to the rest of Canada and the US for travel, the closeness to the UK and family etc, etc. However, here I currently am in a job that is far from my ideal, but I make it what it is and I can afford my totally comparable mortgage. In the UK we spent the same money each month on a house that was a box, here we have an acre, a view that is stunning, 4-5 beds and a cinema room (well a small windowless room with a big TV and surround sound). For us, overall and in countless ways, we are better off.

But its not just about a house. And how long is week or even 3 to honestly evaluate what someone can or cant afford, what income you can expect and even where to start looking at houses? Its cold feet and maybe a gut reaction that will be deeply regretted.
I have been watching this post with interest and felt the urge to have my "penny's" worth!

What is of interest is that on the forum index, the post with the most views (with the exception of a Zoom crisis one) is this one!! There must be many folks like me who find this whole tale quite extraordinary?

I normally shop in Sainsburys but had to go to Asda today en route to an appointment.

1. Shopping is MUCH cheaper in Asda (I didn't quite realise just how much cheaper) and more importantly and of more relevance.....

2. Chickens were 5 - 6 GBP each.... so chicken even here is not as cheap ('scuse the pun!) as it used to be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.