Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

NOVA SCOTIA BACK TO UK

NOVA SCOTIA BACK TO UK

Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:36 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: NOVA SCOTIA BACK TO UK

Originally Posted by dbd33
In the case of the chickens I was serious. We keep chickens, it seems no bother, I would have thought anyone who lives rustically would consider it.
Making you own wine, otoh, requires a dramatic downgrade of the palate, I don't think that works.
I actually fancy giving the chicken rearing thing a go myself dbd. Have a nice patch in our yard, to the side of the house which lends itself nicely. I'm sure my palate can be lowered to home wine making, give anything a go!

I may be after some tips on the chicken keeping when we get out there permanently.

Karen
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

sim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud ofsim2point4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moosey2canada
I just don't know what to say i am normally an articulate funny person with a positive (to the point of annoying) outlook, my husband wants to go home he thinks we have made a mistake and cant afford to start again here, i want to stay and give it a better go he told me yesterday that he has booked flights home for oct, my dog is with my mother, my car is rented and automatic and i hate it, my flat is rented and they build all night next door, i think my upstairs neighbour is a dancer (tap), no-one here gets my jokes, apparently i need to know how to brew wine, grow veg, and make cheese to live here (NS), i need to eat more red meat to afford meat (arteries be damned), add to all that that i apparently need to have chickens that i couldnt slaughter (which i am fairly certain my dog would eat first chance he got) but i dont want to go home, obviously i need to decide why? i am in love with NS has it captured my heart (apart from the gorgeous peggys cove) not really- am i not doing it right, or am i just a uk-ian, a yorkshire loving, royal family supporting, family missing, NHS IS FAB, uk-ian and is that a bad thing? so i cant afford 5 bedrooms and an acre at home, so what, theres only 2 of us anyway and neither of us knows squat about gardening, and always end up buying the car that everyone thinks is ridiculous (usually purple) so what, and maybe work is supposed to be just that, work,that'll be the same anywhere, but at least i get 6 weeks a year off and i can afford to travel wherever i want.............................. i think i want to go home
To be honest we mainly came here to raise our children in a place far safer than the UK, if we were on our own like you are, I think we would stay in the UK for the better wages, european holidays whenever we wanted, etc, and mabey would have used up to 6 weeks holidays travelling the globe. But we have the responsibility of 2 kids, and want them to live a childhood that is far more like the childhood me and hubbie experienced in the 70's in the UK, but that is our life, you need to do what is right for your life which is totally unique and different to each and every BE member, the only thing I would say is perhaps try to stick it out a little longer as sometimes it's surprising how you can adapt to a new way of life with all it's positive and negative aspects, but if you do go back don't worry what people will think, who cares it is your life, and anyway most people are far too wrapped up in their own lives to care about what you are doing.
Good luck whatever you decide...
Sim
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:42 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

We wanted a better life ie 5 bed home massive garden close to a city but not in a city, to live near the sea, simple a that, not realising the life we had was pretty great, nice home, good jobs, beautiful countryside, diversity and understanding, brilliant TV, cheap beer, chicken i can afford you get my drift its nice here the public spaces in the city are fantastic (ie parks) the landscape is austere in its beauty and simplicity, everything is near the water, but its not home.................. that says it all for us really. but just because its not for me doesnt mean its not for you the only way you will know is to come and have a look do a reccie, not just one to look at houses, but give yourself time to spend time, dont compare the price of things in pounds (its cheap when you do that) you wont be earning pounds, you never know this could be what youve been looking for, everyone is different so come and give it a try the trees are turning red and orange and the weather is warm yet 'crispy' it may be for you!
Not too sure who this post is directed at. If it is me, then I don't quite get what you're saying. We have visited NS many times, we even have a house out there.

If your post is for someone else then I'll butt out, however, you may want to quote someone before you reply to them.

Karen
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazbob
I actually fancy giving the chicken rearing thing a go myself dbd. Have a nice patch in our yard, to the side of the house which lends itself nicely. I'm sure my palate can be lowered to home wine making, give anything a go!

I may be after some tips on the chicken keeping when we get out there permanently.

Karen
Chicken keeping has been something of a revelation to me. It's easy, it costs next to nothing, chickens are cute, the eggs are far far better than you can buy and, if you get mad at a chicken, Blam! It's soup.

Mammals, otoh, are not easy, not cheap and I've derived no nutrition from them.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

G586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond reputeG586 has a reputation beyond repute

In the case of the chickens I was serious. We keep chickens, it seems no bother, I would have thought anyone who lives rustically
Or indeed suburban, we now have 2 chooks that are the fascination of my neighbours. I get to cook with 2 glorious eggs a day and they are very, very interactive to the point of bolshiness....

My garden is about 20 ft x 30 ft.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:48 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in NS last wek after deliberating for over 2 years we decided to just pack up and come to NS got a vistors visa for 6 months thought we ahd plenty of money did loads of research on net and books etc but didnt comeover for scouting trip, assumed everything would be ok. ITS NOT. we have worked out our finances and what is alot of money in the the UK isn't alot of money here- houses inside our budget are miles from anywhere, cars are expensive, shopping is expensive chicken is $10 FOR 1 SMALL BIRD dont think thats only £5 its not when youre earning dollars its 10 dollars! petrol is dearer than home in equivelents, if we live here, bearing in mind we are both professional people with good jobs, we couldnt afford chicken in our weekly budget, milk is 2 dollars a litre - more than petrol. fruit is extortionate please dont reply that maybe we are shopping inthe wrong place we looked at the three top supermarkets and barring a few cents here and there it doesnt vary much. If you like a drink get ready to get a bank loan to enjoy one, 24 330ml budwiesers is $40 dollars dont ask about spirits. We thought this would change our lives and be a better life but the fact is that we had it all at home a house of our own that we could afford to run and have nice, a car each, money for holidays meals out and basically a nice life- all the things we came here for. So now we are going home in 3 weeks (when our flat runs out of lease) embarrassed, (we had a huge party before we left) a few thousend pounds lighter and homeless and unemployed and to be honest going home is more frightening than coming to NS ever was i feel like such a failure, if anyone can put a positive glean on this i would appreciate it but only as long as its not well at least now you know or at least you tried.

It does seem weird at first and obviously money is the main worry but after a while you adjust. When we went to Vancouver in 98 we were gutted with the supermarkets, after Waitrose and M&S, but all it did was turn us into pretty good cooks. Lack of money is what drove us back eventually but i still miss it. We looked at Halifax a couple of years ago and im afraid theres only one place im ever heading back to and thats BC. Im now in Ireland and its sooooo expensive but im surrounded by mountains and sea now and im not in London anymore which far outweighs any of my worries about money. Spose its all about what you want from life. All the best to you though. I really would give it a bit longer.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 12:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G586
Or indeed suburban
Oh quite, some friends of ours have just taken up chicken keeping at Yonge and Shepherd.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:04 pm
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

We arrived in NS last wek after deliberating for over 2 years we decided to just pack up and come to NS got a vistors visa for 6 months thought we ahd plenty of money did loads of research on net and books etc but didnt comeover for scouting trip, assumed everything would be ok. ITS NOT. we have worked out our finances and what is alot of money in the the UK isn't alot of money here- houses inside our budget are miles from anywhere, cars are expensive, shopping is expensive chicken is $10 FOR 1 SMALL BIRD dont think thats only £5 its not when youre earning dollars its 10 dollars! petrol is dearer than home in equivelents, if we live here, bearing in mind we are both professional people with good jobs, we couldnt afford chicken in our weekly budget, milk is 2 dollars a litre - more than petrol. fruit is extortionate please dont reply that maybe we are shopping inthe wrong place we looked at the three top supermarkets and barring a few cents here and there it doesnt vary much. If you like a drink get ready to get a bank loan to enjoy one, 24 330ml budwiesers is $40 dollars dont ask about spirits. We thought this would change our lives and be a better life but the fact is that we had it all at home a house of our own that we could afford to run and have nice, a car each, money for holidays meals out and basically a nice life- all the things we came here for. So now we are going home in 3 weeks (when our flat runs out of lease) embarrassed, (we had a huge party before we left) a few thousend pounds lighter and homeless and unemployed and to be honest going home is more frightening than coming to NS ever was i feel like such a failure, if anyone can put a positive glean on this i would appreciate it but only as long as its not well at least now you know or at least you tried.
What you have written is just simply unbelievable!!!!!!!!! House prices in Nova Scotia are some of the most economical in Canada. When I compare the prices of suburbs in the Halifax/Dartmouth areas where you can buy a lux 4 bedroom detached for under 400.000 CD to where I live where the same will cost you between 650.000 to 700.000 CD and thats with a market slump here as well and also I don`t live near a major city, your observations just don`t add up.

Even the Niagara and Hamilton regions in Ontario seem cheap to me and they are near the economic centre of Canada!!! And you think house prices in Nova Scotia are expensive Well you won`t find much cheaper in Canada.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kazbob

Karen
Maybe you could start practising now kaz!
I'm sure the landlord wouldn't mind!!
I can just see you and Bob in "the good life"
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:06 pm
Forum Regular

ubdai will become famous soon enoughubdai will become famous soon enough

Perhaps someone could post a scanned supermarket till receipt.
That way we could all see the prices just to do a comparison.

ubdai
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:10 pm
C'mon already

Originally Posted by dexdaw
Maybe you could start practising now kaz!
I'm sure the landlord wouldn't mind!!
I can just see you and Bob in "the good life"
Hiya Mr K, how are you, haven't spoken in a while.

It'll be a pig, goat and chickens in our tiny MQ garden! LOL. Can you imagine what the neighbours will say?

When we get to NS though I will have to get myself one of those little baskets to keep my feed in and scatter it for the chickens in the manner of Felicity Kendall!
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

Katie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud ofKatie76 has much to be proud of

I just don't know what to say i am normally an articulate funny person with a positive (to the point of annoying) outlook, my husband wants to go home he thinks we have made a mistake and cant afford to start again here, i want to stay and give it a better go he told me yesterday that he has booked flights home for oct, my dog is with my mother, my car is rented and automatic and i hate it, my flat is rented and they build all night next door, i think my upstairs neighbour is a dancer (tap), no-one here gets my jokes, apparently i need to know how to brew wine, grow veg, and make cheese to live here (NS), i need to eat more red meat to afford meat (arteries be damned), add to all that that i apparently need to have chickens that i couldnt slaughter (which i am fairly certain my dog would eat first chance he got) but i dont want to go home, obviously i need to decide why? i am in love with NS has it captured my heart (apart from the gorgeous peggys cove) not really- am i not doing it right, or am i just a uk-ian, a yorkshire loving, royal family supporting, family missing, NHS IS FAB, uk-ian and is that a bad thing? so i cant afford 5 bedrooms and an acre at home, so what, theres only 2 of us anyway and neither of us knows squat about gardening, and always end up buying the car that everyone thinks is ridiculous (usually purple) so what, and maybe work is supposed to be just that, work,that'll be the same anywhere, but at least i get 6 weeks a year off and i can afford to travel wherever i want.............................. i think i want to go home
pmsl - Well, you haven't lost your sense of humour. Sorry, but your post made me laugh .

I'm sorry to hear things haven't yet worked out, but having only been in NS for just 1 week, it seem's crazy to have already made up your mind.

Were you happy in the UK ? Was something here in the UK getting you down, and you felt like you needed to escape ? What out of life in NS were you expecting/what differences, changes ?

I know I'm just speculating as I don't know you, but from what you've written I can only comment on. If you're not happy with life or in yourself, you're not going to be happy anywhere in the world.

I hope you're able to sort something out, and it's ashame your partner has already booked return tickets without you knowing.

As someone has already suggested, meeting up with other Expats and people around you sounds like the best idea right now.

Hoping that whatever you decide, things become brighter for you.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:24 pm
Forum Regular

NatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of lightNatsnSid is a glorious beacon of light

Chicken keeping has been something of a revelation to me. It's easy, it costs next to nothing, chickens are cute, the eggs are far far better than you can buy and, if you get mad at a chicken, Blam! It's soup.

Mammals, otoh, are not easy, not cheap and I've derived no nutrition from them.
I am defo going to have Chickens - so much so we've (me and kids) named the 4 we will have already - Korma/Madras/Tikka and Dhansak!

My dad used to live near/work on a farm so I think when he eventually follows us - I'll add some more livestock - Turkey for Xmas and Duck for Easter etc and top that with real fishing and game - we should have a stocked freezer for Winter - I'll not be able to slaughter them myself (i've named them for gods sake lol) but I'll leave it to my dad to do the deed and deliver it to me for plucking/sorting! Which means 2 differing types of chicks.. eggs and meat. Man I better think of more names.

Kids can dig up the beets/carrots and spuds! They'll love it! We all love fishing too and are looking forward to eventually having a small craft.

Weve only done salad veg and herbs/onions before but it was the greatest thing to make a spag bol with fresh herbs! Totally different taste!

Anyway - I was serious about the goodlife too - we've not sold our house and only today have decided we are going full steam ahead with renting ours out - we've tried weve dropped 35k off our price and still not a chicken nugget (lol) - so I'll have to rent for a while when I get to Vancouver Island (which by the way is BLOODY expensive) and then eventually have my dream garden in a couple of years when the UK has recovered (I hope)..

Good luck Moosey - I wish you well. I have heard of people hating it when they get there - got on a plane - gone home only to realise they did like it...they just missed certain things and headed straight back again!!

Good luck
nats
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:41 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Really I am staggered at how unprepared you were and how unprepared you are to even try. What made you ever want to leave your apprently happy life in the UK, if when you came here, it wasnt for you? And what made you think coming here was for you? Why here?

I think the immediate stuff about where you are, the flat and the rented car......are all transient. We all start out somewhere. As for Peggy's Cove being the only place you liked here? I am not sure what you hoped there would be or the things you usually like, but there are loads of us who have been here longer than a week who can give you some great ideas of places to go and see, things to do.

We have kids and we rented in Spryfield for 6 months then bought a house in Tantallon, we didnt think NS was about our renting experience in Spryfield, or our initial uncomfortable week in a B&B in the midst of January without decent coats or footwear.

I dont know that any of our help or support to ease you into life here will be enough as I dont think you made the choice to leave the UK was very thought out. Why did you hope for? I am sure it wasnt just cheaper food and beer.
Old Sep 23rd 2008, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

YOJO is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Poppy2
Really I am staggered at how unprepared you were and how unprepared you are to even try. What made you ever want to leave your apprently happy life in the UK, if when you came here, it wasnt for you? And what made you think coming here was for you? Why here?

I think the immediate stuff about where you are, the flat and the rented car......are all transient. We all start out somewhere. As for Peggy's Cove being the only place you liked here? I am not sure what you hoped there would be or the things you usually like, but there are loads of us who have been here longer than a week who can give you some great ideas of places to go and see, things to do.

We have kids and we rented in Spryfield for 6 months then bought a house in Tantallon, we didnt think NS was about our renting experience in Spryfield, or our initial uncomfortable week in a B&B in the midst of January without decent coats or footwear.

I dont know that any of our help or support to ease you into life here will be enough as I dont think you made the choice to leave the UK was very thought out. Why did you hope for? I am sure it wasnt just cheaper food and beer.
Hi
Can imagine the first few weeks/months are going to be hard. We are having a reccie in New Brunswick next month. We would expect after moving to be homesick for some time but hopefully Canada's good points will outweigh the negatives! Jo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.