nova scotia

Old Dec 19th 2011, 1:34 am
  #16  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Bridgetown,NS
Posts: 410
rach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud ofrach_woz99 has much to be proud of
Default Re: nova scotia

Hi DandNHill,

Bridgetown has had its share of troubles recently - all well publicised! It is a shame a town employee had her fingers in the till, to the tune of around $130k, plus through absolute negligence people who didn't pay there bills were not chased up - so the rest of us are paying twice

Having said that, our bills are not all that high - water bill has jumped from $35 every other month to around $100, and taxes have gone up around $150 a year - we pay around $1400, which is not too bad I think, it includes grid water and sewer.

But the people of Bridgetown are very positive, we do the best we can and we have a strong sense of community - one of the teachers even started a Facebook page on good things about Bridgetown , which is a typical attitude! We have had more parties and social gatherings in the last few months than ever, so life is very much going on in the town portrayed by the media as a dying town
rach_woz99 is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2012, 9:48 am
  #17  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 43
forourfuture is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nova scotia

Originally Posted by rach_woz99 View Post
Hi DandNHill,

Bridgetown has had its share of troubles recently - all well publicised! It is a shame a town employee had her fingers in the till, to the tune of around $130k, plus through absolute negligence people who didn't pay there bills were not chased up - so the rest of us are paying twice

Having said that, our bills are not all that high - water bill has jumped from $35 every other month to around $100, and taxes have gone up around $150 a year - we pay around $1400, which is not too bad I think, it includes grid water and sewer.

But the people of Bridgetown are very positive, we do the best we can and we have a strong sense of community - one of the teachers even started a Facebook page on good things about Bridgetown , which is a typical attitude! We have had more parties and social gatherings in the last few months than ever, so life is very much going on in the town portrayed by the media as a dying town
Hi RACH,

I am wondering that you all could help me on this please? We (my wife and sons) would like to immigrate to Nova Scotia under NSNP Community Identified Stream which is suitable for our case. However, they need me to prove "strong community connections" and I am still impossible to FIND it.
Could you all share me information on this type and help me on this chance?

Thanks a lot.
forourfuture is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2012, 1:02 pm
  #18  
BE Forum Addict
 
DandNHill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,306
DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia

Originally Posted by forourfuture View Post
Hi RACH,

I am wondering that you all could help me on this please? We (my wife and sons) would like to immigrate to Nova Scotia under NSNP Community Identified Stream which is suitable for our case. However, they need me to prove "strong community connections" and I am still impossible to FIND it.
Could you all share me information on this type and help me on this chance?

Thanks a lot.
Hi

We did the NSNP route.
You need to speak to an rda (regional development agency)
You need to visit the province, preferably at least twice.
You need to build up a support network to be able to show further down the line that you have people on hand to give you the support you will need to settle.
Through the rda you will hopefully also be able to find out which businesses are around in your field and they can sometimes even put you in touch with them. this then can prove that you are employable in Nova Scotia.

Have you thought about where in NS you would like to be?

That's it in a nutshell. Sounds simple but there is quite a bit involved...

Good luck
DandNHill is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2012, 2:27 pm
  #19  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 43
forourfuture is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nova scotia

Originally Posted by DandNHill View Post
Hi

We did the NSNP route.
You need to speak to an rda (regional development agency)
You need to visit the province, preferably at least twice.
You need to build up a support network to be able to show further down the line that you have people on hand to give you the support you will need to settle.
Through the rda you will hopefully also be able to find out which businesses are around in your field and they can sometimes even put you in touch with them. this then can prove that you are employable in Nova Scotia.

Have you thought about where in NS you would like to be?

That's it in a nutshell. Sounds simple but there is quite a bit involved...

Good luck
Hi DandNHill,

Thank you for your kind information. I am trying to contact with an RDA but it seems there is no answer yet. I also acknowledged that we should visit the RDA officer for instruction. I am trying to reach them and we would come there during a Nova Scotia career fair happens on March but I am not sure it will be caught up or not.
I heard from other forum that if coming to Halifax, it may take several visits (at least twice) but if not to the Halifax center, the officer may consider one visit only and it will save some money.

Would you have any suggestion for me where to move to? Could you share some information on your real case?

Thank you.
forourfuture is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2012, 4:23 pm
  #20  
BE Forum Addict
 
DandNHill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,306
DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia

Originally Posted by forourfuture View Post
Hi DandNHill,

Thank you for your kind information. I am trying to contact with an RDA but it seems there is no answer yet. I also acknowledged that we should visit the RDA officer for instruction. I am trying to reach them and we would come there during a Nova Scotia career fair happens on March but I am not sure it will be caught up or not.
I heard from other forum that if coming to Halifax, it may take several visits (at least twice) but if not to the Halifax center, the officer may consider one visit only and it will save some money.

Would you have any suggestion for me where to move to? Could you share some information on your real case?

Thank you.
Hi

I'm happy to share some real info but maybe not on a public forum.

Otherwise trying emailing Anne Fownes ([email protected]). She is responsible for the Lunenburg and Queens rda and covers pretty much the whole of the bottom end of the Province.
If you have no luck let me know as I am on the newcomers committee here in Yarmouth and have met her several times... In fact PM me your name and I'll email her to tell her to expect to hear from you.
RDAs generally need two visits although I do know people who have only been here once...

Without knowing what you are looking for and what you like I can't recommend anywhere unfortunately. We were due to live just outside Halifax but due to work commitments we are here in Yarmouth.

try Anne and see how you get on, if she can't help I think she will probably point you in the right direction.

good luck
DandNHill is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:05 pm
  #21  
BE Enthusiast
 
heading-west's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Lunenburg, NS
Posts: 539
heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all
Default Re: nova scotia

Originally Posted by DandNHill View Post
Hi

I'm happy to share some real info but maybe not on a public forum.

Otherwise trying emailing Anne Fownes ([email protected]). She is responsible for the Lunenburg and Queens rda and covers pretty much the whole of the bottom end of the Province.
If you have no luck let me know as I am on the newcomers committee here in Yarmouth and have met her several times... In fact PM me your name and I'll email her to tell her to expect to hear from you.
RDAs generally need two visits although I do know people who have only been here once...

Without knowing what you are looking for and what you like I can't recommend anywhere unfortunately. We were due to live just outside Halifax but due to work commitments we are here in Yarmouth.

try Anne and see how you get on, if she can't help I think she will probably point you in the right direction.

good luck

OP
This is sound advice ;-) Anne is a lovely lady, I know of a few people who have worked with her under these circumstances.

you really need to visit the province before deciding where to base your family.

We love the south shore area because of its rural appeal, it wouldnt suit everyone and the prospects are not as many as the city of Halifax.

good luck with whatever you choose
heading-west is offline  
Old Jan 11th 2012, 5:58 pm
  #22  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Nova Scotia (from Scotland)
Posts: 1,032
izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia

my understanding (as someone who's also been through the community identified stream successfully ) is that to get into the Halifax area through this route is very difficult; they apply the 'community ties' quite strictly. I don't have direct experience of this but people on here have mentioned that. Most RDAs look for at least 2 visits.... personally we made 2 visits and I'm glad we did - it was more expensive (obviously!) but it gave us a much better idea of what to expect. You can never get a truly 'non-holiday' perspective, but the more times you visit the less new and exciting the place is, which I think is a good thing in helping decide.

I'm surprised you haven't had a reply, we always had quick responses from RDAs. The main thing you have to do is decide which area of NS you want to go to. The RDA has to know you're specifically set on their area, so you have to focus on which is right for you and your family. A big part of our application was being enthusiastic about the area we planned to move to....

DandNHill's first post, with the list of things to do, is definitely what to start working through
izzi81 is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2012, 4:39 am
  #23  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 43
forourfuture is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nova scotia

Originally Posted by DandNHill View Post
Hi

I'm happy to share some real info but maybe not on a public forum.

Otherwise trying emailing Anne Fownes ([email protected]). She is responsible for the Lunenburg and Queens rda and covers pretty much the whole of the bottom end of the Province.
If you have no luck let me know as I am on the newcomers committee here in Yarmouth and have met her several times... In fact PM me your name and I'll email her to tell her to expect to hear from you.
RDAs generally need two visits although I do know people who have only been here once...

Without knowing what you are looking for and what you like I can't recommend anywhere unfortunately. We were due to live just outside Halifax but due to work commitments we are here in Yarmouth.

try Anne and see how you get on, if she can't help I think she will probably point you in the right direction.

good luck
Hi DandNHill,

Thanks for your warm support and it's very nice if you could send messages to my email <snip>I will PM to you then. Hope to have your suggestions more on my case.


Originally Posted by izzi81 View Post
my understanding (as someone who's also been through the community identified stream successfully ) is that to get into the Halifax area through this route is very difficult; they apply the 'community ties' quite strictly. I don't have direct experience of this but people on here have mentioned that. Most RDAs look for at least 2 visits.... personally we made 2 visits and I'm glad we did - it was more expensive (obviously!) but it gave us a much better idea of what to expect. You can never get a truly 'non-holiday' perspective, but the more times you visit the less new and exciting the place is, which I think is a good thing in helping decide.

I'm surprised you haven't had a reply, we always had quick responses from RDAs. The main thing you have to do is decide which area of NS you want to go to. The RDA has to know you're specifically set on their area, so you have to focus on which is right for you and your family. A big part of our application was being enthusiastic about the area we planned to move to....

DandNHill's first post, with the list of things to do, is definitely what to start working through
Hi izzi,

I also think that it is not easy to get into Halifax center so it's good for me to live wherever I get jobs for us and good places for children schooling and enjoying - outside of Halifax is fine.

@ALL,
I just received a reply from an CoRDA instructed me to contact with Margot Bégin-Gillis (Colchester region) last night.
I have some silly questions would like to ask, please help me with your kindness:
1. Should I contact with some CoRDAs at one time (to choose the best option) and is there any problem with this way?
2. I own one small company so it seems better if my wife presented as the principal application. Should I contact with CoRDA or my wife do (to send our resume etc...) ?

Thank you all!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jan 12th 2012 at 5:22 pm. Reason: Email address removed - never a good idea to put it on a public forum unless you want to be inundated with spam and weirdos!
forourfuture is offline  
Old Jan 12th 2012, 10:56 pm
  #24  
BE Forum Addict
 
DandNHill's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Somewhere in Hamilton, ON
Posts: 4,306
DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia

Originally Posted by forourfuture View Post
Hi DandNHill,

Thanks for your warm support and it's very nice if you could send messages to my email <snip>I will PM to you then. Hope to have your suggestions more on my case.




Hi izzi,

I also think that it is not easy to get into Halifax center so it's good for me to live wherever I get jobs for us and good places for children schooling and enjoying - outside of Halifax is fine.

@ALL,
I just received a reply from an CoRDA instructed me to contact with Margot Bégin-Gillis (Colchester region) last night.
I have some silly questions would like to ask, please help me with your kindness:
1. Should I contact with some CoRDAs at one time (to choose the best option) and is there any problem with this way?
2. I own one small company so it seems better if my wife presented as the principal application. Should I contact with CoRDA or my wife do (to send our resume etc...) ?

Thank you all!
You're welcome, I'll look out for your PM.

CoRDA is actually Colchester RDA which is specific to Colchester county, the Truro area, and Margot is the contact there. So depending on the area you are looking at you approach a different RDA. Anne I mentioned covers south of Halifax pretty much so again you need to consider where you want to live. Will you be running your business from Canada? If so is location particulary important?
DandNHill is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2012, 4:36 am
  #25  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 43
forourfuture is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nova scotia

Originally Posted by DandNHill View Post
You're welcome, I'll look out for your PM.

CoRDA is actually Colchester RDA which is specific to Colchester county, the Truro area, and Margot is the contact there. So depending on the area you are looking at you approach a different RDA. Anne I mentioned covers south of Halifax pretty much so again you need to consider where you want to live. Will you be running your business from Canada? If so is location particulary important?
Hi DandNHill,

I sent you a message to your box. Please check then. Thank you.

It is really hard to start business from Canada as a new immigrant (hope to get flag in future). For me, to get jobs; children enjoy schooling, entertainment sometime, good for family living being our choice wherever it located is not the issue. I also try to avoid region which is colder than others (in Nova Scotia). We will use public transportation as to buy a own house/car is out of our hand at moment there.
I own a small company trading in laser cutter/ engraver/ marker (and used these machines to service to customers) so I have some experience in this field. Besides I used to work in freight forwarding/shipping; import/export task; steel scrap trading.

My wife is an accountant for private; state company; NGO office.

English is our second language so our both IELTS is round 6.0-6.5 only.

Hope to receive your kind recommendation on my case (where to live and to find a job etc..)

Have a nice weekend to all there!
forourfuture is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2012, 10:44 am
  #26  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Nova Scotia (from Scotland)
Posts: 1,032
izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia

If you plan not to have a car, you need to be aware that there really isn't much in the way of public transport at all in Nova Scotia Within Halifax there are buses but I don't think I ever saw a bus going between towns on any of the visits we made there, and we travelled about quite a bit! Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I don't think you can live in Nova Scotia without a car, unless you live in Halifax.... Even if you live and work in Truro for example, you'd have to be prepared to walk everywhere (ie. to supermarket and back?). The houses can be quite spread out as well (lots of space, this is part of the appeal ) which means it's a long way to walk to get anywhere...

by the way, both myself and my OH plan to start business when we arrive. We've talked to a lot of people and it doesn't seem to be any problem at all - other than finding customers!
izzi81 is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2012, 1:42 pm
  #27  
The Brit is back
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: NS, Canada 2007-2013. Now....England!
Posts: 2,208
Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia

Buses in Nova Scotia run from Bedford and Sackville to Halifax and Dartmouth. Beyond this there are not really any at all. If you live rural, you will need a car!
Lorry1 is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2012, 1:46 pm
  #28  
BE Enthusiast
 
heading-west's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Lunenburg, NS
Posts: 539
heading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to allheading-west is a name known to all
Default Re: nova scotia

I agree, a car is essential unless you plan to remain in the city. Living rural with no car would be suicide imho
heading-west is offline  
Old Jan 13th 2012, 1:49 pm
  #29  
Slightly Canadian
 
Atlantic Xpat's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland
Posts: 10,103
Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: nova scotia

Originally Posted by heading-west View Post
I agree, a car is essential unless you plan to remain in the city. Living rural with no car would be suicide imho
That is true anywhere in Canada!
Atlantic Xpat is offline  
Old Jan 14th 2012, 2:29 am
  #30  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Posts: 43
forourfuture is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: nova scotia

Originally Posted by izzi81 View Post
If you plan not to have a car, you need to be aware that there really isn't much in the way of public transport at all in Nova Scotia Within Halifax there are buses but I don't think I ever saw a bus going between towns on any of the visits we made there, and we travelled about quite a bit! Maybe someone else can confirm this, but I don't think you can live in Nova Scotia without a car, unless you live in Halifax.... Even if you live and work in Truro for example, you'd have to be prepared to walk everywhere (ie. to supermarket and back?). The houses can be quite spread out as well (lots of space, this is part of the appeal ) which means it's a long way to walk to get anywhere...

by the way, both myself and my OH plan to start business when we arrive. We've talked to a lot of people and it doesn't seem to be any problem at all - other than finding customers!
Originally Posted by Lorry1 View Post
Buses in Nova Scotia run from Bedford and Sackville to Halifax and Dartmouth. Beyond this there are not really any at all. If you live rural, you will need a car!
Originally Posted by heading-west View Post
I agree, a car is essential unless you plan to remain in the city. Living rural with no car would be suicide imho
Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat View Post
That is true anywhere in Canada!
Hi all,

Thank you for your suggestion. I realize now that there is no way to use public transport there but a car. It's very useful.

I am planning to have visit to Nova this March, if possible (one recci trip to get Letter of Indentification from RDA, once only but not sure to get it or not ) because I know that there is a career fair this month there.
Could you all assist me to send an email to an RDA so I could do visa to catch up the time please?

DandNHill, I sent you an message, please check and support me. Thanks.

Thank you for all.
forourfuture is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.