Nova Scotia

Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of
Default Nova Scotia

My husband and I are waiting for our PR to come through, but we are thinking of settling in Nova Scotia (probably Halifax). For those of you who have already taken the plunge and moved there, what do you think of it? What are the positives and negatives? What is the school system like, homes etc.

We've previously lived in BC on a temporary visa, and have had time in Winnipeg too. We've enver been to the atlantic coast before though, obviously we will do a recky before hand. I just wanted to hear some first hand experiences though.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all
Default Re: Nova Scotia

Originally Posted by luvmykids
My husband and I are waiting for our PR to come through, but we are thinking of settling in Nova Scotia (probably Halifax). For those of you who have already taken the plunge and moved there, what do you think of it? What are the positives and negatives? What is the school system like, homes etc.

We've previously lived in BC on a temporary visa, and have had time in Winnipeg too. We've enver been to the atlantic coast before though, obviously we will do a recky before hand. I just wanted to hear some first hand experiences though.
You have enjoyed the more modern style of Canadian cities in the past.

Halifax is a 200 yr old city - when you get into the centre - it shows in places - a bit like the rundown London Docklands in the 60s and 70s.

There are a limited number of nice suburbs in Halifax and Dartmouth - but - a lot of areas are poor - and feature every night on the TV news for the area - with another crime incident or dozen! :scared:
Old Feb 9th 2006, 6:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Don't listen to him above, he is just jealous cause more people are arriving in Nova Scotia than drab old New Brunswick!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

torticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0

Halifax is a 200 yr old city - when you get into the centre - it shows in places - a bit like the rundown London Docklands in the 60s and 70s.

There are a limited number of nice suburbs in Halifax and Dartmouth - but - a lot of areas are poor - and feature every night on the TV news for the area - with another crime incident or dozen! :scared:

WTF?!?!?!

You should get together with VAL50....

Now that would make for a good night out - NOT!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

torticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant futuretorticat has a brilliant future

Cant comment directly on the education but as far as housing, communities, opportunities and the climate etc there is something for everyone.

2 years ago when we landed in Canada we were open minded having looked throughout BC, Alberta, GTA and the Maritimes on previous scouting trips and although they all had pro's and con's it was the Maritimes that won through.

Now 2 years on I still wake every morning looking for those Rockies but to no avail (Ski Martock and it's 600 vertical feet are fun for an hour or two) But what it lacks in altitude it more than makes up for in terms of openings, attitude and the type of lifestyle we were longing for.

PM me for further details on specific areas, housing and any other info I can share

Last edited by torticat; Feb 9th 2006 at 6:50 pm. Reason: sp?
Old Feb 9th 2006, 6:49 pm
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

As Corky said....Jealous!!

Halifax is a thriving urban centre with lots to offer. The most populated centre north of Boston and East of Quebec city. Other people (no name mentioned) live in the middle of nowhere with a village idiot and a cat..... Oh by the way, say hello to "whiskers" for me.
Old Feb 9th 2006, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BH PNP
As Corky said....Jealous!!

Halifax is a thriving urban centre with lots to offer. The most populated centre north of Boston and East of Quebec city. Other people (no name mentioned) live in the middle of nowhere with a village idiot and a cat..... Oh by the way, say hello to "whiskers" for me.

You cant call his wife the village idiot...... can you?
Old Feb 9th 2006, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

gingernut is an unknown quantity at this point

I have to agree with ya ma. This guy sounds a bit crackers! I love NS and can't wait to come home I wouldn't live anywhere else in Canada. And there are lots of great places to live in and around Halifax/Dartmouth. Schools are great people are great. I LOVE NOVA SCOTIA!!!!!!!!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 7:16 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0

Like a scratched record...

We've been here six months and it's been brilliant, everything you could want in a small area, live in or out of town and still have quick access to all the amenities. Contrary to what the above gent said when I asked the same question, my imported car is not a burnt out husk, I am not knee deep in beggers and I haven't seen any groups of unruly youths roaming the streets.. well actually that's not true, 9 hoodied "youths", some in full ski masks came to my door a week or so ago, with trepdation and fear of "Halifax mobbing" I opened the door to find a bunch of bored kids who were keen to spend their snow day, outside, in the fresh air, clearing my driveway.... LOL.

Yes, there are one or two less desireable areas, but by and large most residential areas are fine.

Trouble with NB is there are a lot of lonely people there...

PM if you need any help (or sensible answers to questions)
Old Feb 9th 2006, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

luvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud ofluvmykids has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Nova Scotia

Thank you all for making me laugh with your replies. There are definitely people in NS with a great sense of humor!

It sounds like most areas you can live in, there are the areas you want to avoid, and the "nicer" areas. My husband and I lived in East Vancouver, so I'm sure not too much could shock us!

What are the nicer areas in Halifax/Dartmouth? Has anyone experienced/know anything about lower sackville? Do you feel insecure in terms of the economy re:employment etc, or is the economy on it's way up now? How much is annual car tax/insurance etc, how was the dreaded driving test?

PM me with replies if you want!
Old Feb 9th 2006, 10:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

woodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond reputewoodworm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
Like a scratched record...
Yes, I am waiting for another comment from him on the potholes on Nova Scotia Roads
Old Feb 9th 2006, 11:12 pm
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

Exactly Woodworm.

Of course what we all haven't worked out yet if its "potholes" or "roads" that they don't seem to have in the wilds of New Brunswick.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

rgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to beholdrgilbert is a splendid one to behold

Thank you all for making me laugh with your replies. There are definitely people in NS with a great sense of humor!

It sounds like most areas you can live in, there are the areas you want to avoid, and the "nicer" areas. My husband and I lived in East Vancouver, so I'm sure not too much could shock us!

What are the nicer areas in Halifax/Dartmouth? Has anyone experienced/know anything about lower sackville? Do you feel insecure in terms of the economy re:employment etc, or is the economy on it's way up now? How much is annual car tax/insurance etc, how was the dreaded driving test?

PM me with replies if you want!
I too am interested in Nova Scotia so would be grateful to an answer to the questions that luvmykids asks.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

AnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really niceAnyaT is just really nice

Crime incident or dozen every night? Maybe, I guess, if that includes the underage drinkers being thrown out of bars. I suppose some people have a lower tolerance for "crime."

The nicest part of Halifax would be the south end and Northwest Arm, however you will be looking at $500,000+ for the lowest end homes there. Lower Sackville has a reputation of being a bit down-at-heel, but I really couldn't give you details. I grew up in Dartmouth and could count the number of times I went to Sackville on both hands - it has a main drag with malls and stores on both sides, a bit like driving through a strip mall. I know the housing is certainly affordable there, though. Bedford is a nice area, however can be a pain to commute into Halifax as there is a two-lane road going around the harbour, so if there is an accident that's it, you are stuck until it gets cleared up. I believe they are seriously looking at a high speed ferry from Bedford to Halifax which would improve things immensely. Clayton Park in the west end of Halifax may be worth looking at. It is fairly new, nice houses, and is close to Bayers Lake if you like big box shopping areas. I'm afraid I know nothing about the outer suburbs like Fall River, Tantallon, St Margaret's Bay, etc.

Car insurance has been skyrocketing all over Canada in the past couple years due to insurance companies losing money on the stock market and making their customers recoup their losses. I don't know precisely how much it would be - never owned a car.

In terms of how secure I found the economy/employment scene, well, I live in Toronto now. But I moved when just starting out on my career and it is more difficult for people fresh out of school to get a toehold in the labour market - after all, Halifax is awash in recent graduates, it has 5 universities. What industry are you looking at? I might be able to give a more informative response.
Old Feb 10th 2006, 2:02 pm
Forum Regular

I'm a nurse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.