Forum Regular

jaynie35uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: not sure about the move from England to Canada

Fraid so.. al least by people who are prejudiced
Old Aug 26th 2015, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

Dandhil.. we met in an online native american chatroom (yahoo..lol ) 14 years ago, happily married for 13 years , with 3 children..Funnily the reason i went to a chatroom abroad was i was only interested in knowing more about different cultures and chit chatting and had no intention of meeting..strange how things work out..lol
Old Aug 27th 2015, 12:22 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Does it have to be his home reserve? There's one near us that's pleasant with a mixture of people. Hiawatha near Peterborough. that would mean he stays close to his heritage and you have a better climate and more variety in the surroundings.

Though I didn't check to see what band Whitefish Lake is butHiawatha is Ojibway.

Ps I've encountered many blond First Nations
Old Aug 27th 2015, 4:51 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
Does it have to be his home reserve? There's one near us that's pleasant with a mixture of people. Hiawatha near Peterborough. that would mean he stays close to his heritage and you have a better climate and more variety in the surroundings.

Though I didn't check to see what band Whitefish Lake is but Hiawatha is Ojibway.

According to their website, the Hiawatha's are Mississaugii Home - Hiawatha First Nation - but I could have the wrong ones!

Atikameksheng Anishnawbek are descendents of the Ojibway, Algonquin and Odawa Nations.

Old Aug 27th 2015, 5:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats

Though I didn't check to see what band Whitefish Lake is butHiawatha is Ojibway.

Re bold: in my limited understanding, it's a Big Deal.

The OP's husband may have difficulties reintegrating life/community (not just having a good time while visiting) on the reservation, let alone the OP & children.

There absolutely *is* racism in both directions. And it can be very hard for even reservation born & bred Native Americans/First Nations to return to the community after a number of years away.

I rarely say "don't do it" to posters here who ask about moving to Canada; I'm *very* close to saying so in this case ...
Old Aug 27th 2015, 12:23 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
According to their website, the Hiawatha's are Mississaugii Home - Hiawatha First Nation - but I could have the wrong ones!

Atikameksheng Anishnawbek are descendents of the Ojibway, Algonquin and Odawa Nations.

Pretty sure that Mississisauga are Ojibway.
Old Aug 27th 2015, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Whitefish lake are Ojibway too
Old Aug 28th 2015, 2:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Largo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond reputeLargo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Re bold: in my limited understanding, it's a Big Deal.

The OP's husband may have difficulties reintegrating life/community (not just having a good time while visiting) on the reservation, let alone the OP & children.

There absolutely *is* racism in both directions. And it can be very hard for even reservation born & bred Native Americans/First Nations to return to the community after a number of years away.

I rarely say "don't do it" to posters here who ask about moving to Canada; I'm *very* close to saying so in this case ...
I agree. Even if the OP is able to live on the reserve will she be accepted ? Or will she be subjected to harassment as her son experienced already? In my opinion this would only be the beginning to various types of bullying. Any child who is different tends to be ' picked on ', and so could she. Without a husband there for much of the time to lend her support it could be a very difficult situation. I do feel it would be a bad move.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 2:23 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Largo
I agree. Even if the OP is able to live on the reserve will she be accepted ? Or will she be subjected to harassment as her son experienced already? In my opinion this would only be the beginning to various types of bullying. Any child who is different tends to be ' picked on ', and so could she. Without a husband there for much of the time to lend her support it could be a very difficult situation. I do feel it would be a bad move.
I don't normally voice a direct opinion on personal matters, but I think moving onto the reservation would be a crazy move. I honestly do.
Sorry if it's not what you want to hear...
Old Aug 28th 2015, 12:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Largo
This is definitely what I would be concerned about, over and above everything else. If they were there for a 'fun visit' this time round and the child already received a negative comment then I can't see how that would be anything but worse if you moved there to live. And Largo is right, I'd be concerned about all the time you are there on your own; it does sound like some people on the reservation would not accept you and life could end up being quite uncomfortable....
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:23 pm
Just Joined

paeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond repute

dental is not free in the UK either, even an NHS dentist costs a fair bit and you have to wait for months, and my husband paid for physio rather than wait for months and then lost the NHS referral as they wrote wheile we were on holiday in Canada and cancelled the referral as we did not respond straight away (ie in a week) !!!so we are back at square one. we are lucky in the UK but everyone i know has huge horror stories about long waiting lists, being unable to get referred for treatment etc. I think UK is the only place left where its free, NZ and Aus it isnt now (Aus more expensive than NZ and needing insurance)
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paeroa66
dental is not free in the UK either, even an NHS dentist costs a fair bit
Still free on certain benefits or low income though.
And for those paying:
There are three NHS charge bands:

Band 1: £18.80 covers an examination, diagnosis and advice. If necessary, it also includes X-rays, a scale and polish and planning for further treatment.
Band 2: £51.30 covers all treatment covered by Band 1, plus additional treatment, such as fillings, root canal treatment and removing teeth (extractions).
Band 3: £222.50 covers all treatment covered by Bands 1 and 2, plus more complex procedures, such as crowns, dentures and bridges.

For more information, see What is included in each NHS dental band charge?
What if I need more treatment?

If, within two months of completing a course of treatment, you need more treatment from the same charge band or a lower one – such as another filling – you don't have to pay anything extra.
Short of bridges, crowns and dentures, your maximum fee is £51.30 - even for root canal for which I was quoted $1500!

I don't think you'll find much in Canada looking favourable compared to that.

I appreciate there may be difficulties in finding a dentist still doing NHS work for fee paying patients but compared to paying privately it can be more cost effective to travel across town by taxi.

Then again, I believe that it's still possible to travel to somewhere like Hungary, enjoy some culture and have dental work done at an overall saving.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 6:54 pm
Just Joined

paeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond reputepaeroa66 has a reputation beyond repute

ha maybe so!!! my last dental quote was for a crown and about £400 on NHS!! though i do know we are really lucky and never have to worry about being able to afford medication etc .. and i know how much i paid for a doctor in NZ in the late 1980's and how much my friend pays for insurance in Aus now.. even if you do have to wait months for a referral
Old Aug 28th 2015, 7:10 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paeroa66
ha maybe so!!! my last dental quote was for a crown and about £400 on NHS!!
I'm wondering if there's been a change of some sort.

The last time I looked up the fees there was a maximum charge of around £160 and that was including the stuff now restricted to the £51.30.

Hard to believe the present government reduced it.

Although I suppose there's always the possibility that the £51.30 is an increase on what was previously paid by more people for smaller treatment and it raised more funds.
Old Aug 28th 2015, 8:11 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Still free on certain benefits or low income though.
And for those paying:

Short of bridges, crowns and dentures, your maximum fee is £51.30 - even for root canal for which I was quoted $1500!

I don't think you'll find much in Canada looking favourable compared to that.

I appreciate there may be difficulties in finding a dentist still doing NHS work for fee paying patients but compared to paying privately it can be more cost effective to travel across town by taxi.

Then again, I believe that it's still possible to travel to somewhere like Hungary, enjoy some culture and have dental work done at an overall saving.
1,500 for a root canal?

I had to deal with a root canal in Ontario, was 750 or around there, no idea what the going rate in BC is.

I have a friend who was quoted 2,500 for the work needed by the lowest cost dentist he found in his area here in BC, so he went to Mexico and after extensive research found a well respected dentist, and total cost of the entire trip including the work was 900, so even with airfare and hotel, he saved a nice chunk of money and got a mini-vacation too....lol

My wife needs a crown, estimate is 1,200 and the dental coverage we have won't pay for crowns, so have to save and pay out of pocket.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.