Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Not sold in Canada: What U.S. products do you buy online?

Not sold in Canada: What U.S. products do you buy online?

Old May 9th 2014, 6:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not sold in Canada: What U.S. products do you buy online?

Originally Posted by Steve_
It must be pretty common to randomly have a complete stranger say they did the same thing.
you must have found the only other person who likes Diet Cherry Coke
Old May 9th 2014, 7:13 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's safe to say the main reason to shop in the US is to save money, rather than get something you can't get here.

Or more accurately, brag to your friends/neighbours that you got the same article of clothing they paid $80 for, for $40 in the US, while neglecting to mention how much the gas/hotel cost you to go and fetch it.

There used to be things that were harder to get here but since all the US retailers invaded over the last 5 years, not so much anymore. I remember when Victoria's Secret opened at WEM, which I remember not because I'm a cross-dresser but the line outside was really long.
Old May 9th 2014, 7:58 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's safe to say the main reason to shop in the US is to save money, rather than get something you can't get here.

Or more accurately, brag to your friends/neighbours that you got the same article of clothing they paid $80 for, for $40 in the US, while neglecting to mention how much the gas/hotel cost you to go and fetch it.

There used to be things that were harder to get here but since all the US retailers invaded over the last 5 years, not so much anymore. I remember when Victoria's Secret opened at WEM, which I remember not because I'm a cross-dresser but the line outside was really long.
I've never stayed in a hotel when cross border shopping, nor has anyone I know, all day trips, and the gas is negligible for many since Bellingham is closer or same distance as going to Vancouver. (from the Fraser Valley)
Old May 9th 2014, 8:02 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Unsurprisingly the practicalities of cross border shopping depend on geography. Small stuff is OK to mail order though.
Old May 9th 2014, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

A Doidy cup perhaps? Or is that a Europe thingy?
Old May 9th 2014, 11:51 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I've never stayed in a hotel when cross border shopping, nor has anyone I know, all day trips, and the gas is negligible for many since Bellingham is closer or same distance as going to Vancouver. (from the Fraser Valley)
I meant from here obviously.
Old May 10th 2014, 12:33 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by haggis88
I get a bunch of stuff sent over a period and go collect, the place in Sweetgrass holds it for 90 days at a cost of $5usd (increases with size, they store cars and motorbikes too) which i think is a bargain, then go collect it all at once and pay GST at the border!

There's a lot of carpools on Kijiji here and on the automotive forums for people going down for this reason too...it's a pretty cool setup!
We've been down for cars but gor parts, it would have to be something really special for a 10 hour or more round trip
Old May 10th 2014, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

MountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond reputeMountainHiker has a reputation beyond repute

Who needs a hotel I only ever spend an hour in the US when visiting the shipping outlet. Plus the price of fuel is so ridiculous in BC it's actually cheaper for me to make the 2 hour return trip and get fuel in Montana than it is to top up at my local gas station, I've not bought gas in BC in years.
Old May 12th 2014, 7:19 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by MountainHiker
Who needs a hotel I only ever spend an hour in the US when visiting the shipping outlet. Plus the price of fuel is so ridiculous in BC it's actually cheaper for me to make the 2 hour return trip and get fuel in Montana than it is to top up at my local gas station, I've not bought gas in BC in years.
Once again... I meant from here... or anywhere that isn't that close to the border, to state the blindingly obvious.
Old May 12th 2014, 8:01 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

HDMI cables, I can get for 2.50 each and theyre better quality than aything under $50 in a canadian store.
Old May 13th 2014, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jericho79
Got my chromecast from there before they were available here.

I get US netflix because, well, Canadian netflix is crap.
How do you get the US channel, Jericho? Is it just a matter of signing up or does one need one of those VPN things which I know nothing about
Old May 13th 2014, 6:34 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by JGK
HDMI cables, I can get for 2.50 each and theyre better quality than aything under $50 in a canadian store.
You can get HDMI cables here for very little, the days of them being $50 are long gone.
Old May 13th 2014, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dishwashing
How do you get the US channel, Jericho? Is it just a matter of signing up or does one need one of those VPN things which I know nothing about
Subscribe to Unblock Us for $4.99 a month and get all the Netflix offerings from all countries. Its pretty simple.
http://www.unblock-us.com/how-to-set-up/
Old May 13th 2014, 9:25 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

You can get HDMI cables here for very little, the days of them being $50 are long gone.
$2 at dollarama and so far the ones I have are working fine.
Old May 13th 2014, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Subscribe to Unblock Us for $4.99 a month and get all the Netflix offerings from all countries. Its pretty simple.
http://www.unblock-us.com/how-to-set-up/
unless your ISP has gotten wise to it and locked their DNS settings (Telus' new stuff for example)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.