Not going now

Old Jul 25th 2005, 2:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not going now

Originally Posted by MikeUK
Well I think the way I would put it is

If you have enough money then Canada can give you as much enjoyment as the UK can with enough money…

But without the money Canada can be just as miserable as any hole in the UK..

The question you need to work out is how much money is enough

A lot will ride on your personal expectations..

As a rule I find Canada on the day to day necessities to a bit slightly cheaper than the UK..
On hi Tech toys Canada is cheaper due to proximity to the US

For luxuries then that’s where Canada falls down they can be hard to find and expensive.

So the cost will directly be affected by your expectations and life style…

And as a general disclaimer some thing you expect to be cheaper here won’t be and other will
What sort of thing counts as a luxury ? My various dependents don't seem to have any trouble finding the spa.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 4:06 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=iaink]To put it in perspective the only person with direct experience of BC in this thread is being help there against her wishes, which is not going to do anything to make you positive about it.

Let me try and give nothing but positive thoughts about BC:

1. Scenery to die for - you are unlikely to see much that is more beautiful in Canada either on the mainland or on the island. (except maybe NS)
2. Access to First Nations history that is largely unknown outside North America (unless you are a history buff).
3. Proximity to North West Coast USA if you like the States. Oregon is gorgeous.
4. Much slower pace of life.
5. Less pressure on your kids to succeed at school.
6. Access to BC's most famous export if that sort of thing floats your boat.
7. Watching your kids play against a backdrop of mountain ranges. You can't beat that.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 4:18 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
Let me try and give nothing but positive thoughts about BC:
Tried to give you karma for the positive outlook...but as usual it wont let me!
Old Jul 25th 2005, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally Posted by MarkG
I'm not sure about 55k in Canada, but, to be honest, 50k in London is not going to give you a great lifestyle unless house prices drop a lot. I'd say you need to be earning at least 100k in London to live well... it's a very expensive city.
I was able to earn 35k in London before and still save money and be able to do the things we wanted to. A lot of people work in Central London and spend there money outside of London. Nobody does their Sainsbury's shopping in central London.
Old Jul 25th 2005, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Majj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really niceMajj is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Wow! I thought you were there by now...

Are you at least going over to land? That way you can keep your options open for the next 3yrs, should it not work out in the UK, until your PR status runs out.

Best of luck either way. I was interested to hear what happened with your "cancelled" backwards visa too

Biiiiink
Yes, I was supposed to be there by now. But we got back from Dubai and the sheer task of emptying the house out for rent in the availalbe time, it just wasn't going to happen. The way the exchange rate sits, it's just not possible to leave the house empty and come back and sort it out.

But because it takes ages for the visa to come through, in that time our circumstances have changed and we really have to ask the question, are we going to enjoy a better lifestyle and standard of living in Canada? At the moment the answer is no. I know it's not just about money, but money is a very important factor when comparing standard of living.

BTW the visa has cancelled thorugh it upside down as well as backwards. Guess I might not find out now.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 6:15 am
Forum Regular

karen wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant futurekaren wild has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Majj
I was originally planning to land in Calgary round about now and start a new job there. However, on route from Dubai, I stopped off at home in London and was offered a job which is paying almost the same in pounds sterling as would have been my wage in Calgary $55k. OK a little less in pounds, the other side of 50.

Some how I cannot see that Canada will offer a better standard of living and I'm sure in the long run I will be financially better off in England. Also, I don't think $55k CAD will give me the same buying power as £50k. I'm not convinced that things are priced pound to dollar in Canada as I have been previously told. I have heard Calgary is beautiful, but at the end of the day I guess it comes down to money.

Therefore the decision has now been taken, and we are not going.

Thanks,
Majj
majj you have to do whatever you think is best as life is short.
i thought that after the bombings people may leave london and come up north like manchester. but there wages would be lower.but you can have a good standard of living in where i live in the peak district for 30 grand a year, but it would be hard to convince you that dropping 25 grand would make u better off. you have made what was a dilemma into a firm decision. well done
Old Jul 27th 2005, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

I was able to earn 35k in London before and still save money and be able to do the things we wanted to.
I don't know when 'before' was, but house prices have pretty much tripled in the UK in the last five years... and housing is probably the largest single expense for the majority of people here.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

tonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh well, maybe I'm lucky but I just love it in Burlington and Ontario.

Great standard of living. Move into the "mansion" on Friday.
Salary is as good as in the UK and goes much further.
Attitudes of people are a lot more positive (although very nice)
"Cleaner" environment (both socially and physically) for bringing up kids. Just more Wholesome. And don't get me going on the smog. I'm and environmental consultant and could say a few things about classification of smog etc and GTA V London.
Time and space to enjoy the great outdoors!

I guess it is each to there own at the end of the day. I'll just be enjoying the BBQ and sitting in my new garden with the family over the holiday weekend. The simple things see.............

Old Jul 27th 2005, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
I don't know when 'before' was, but house prices have pretty much tripled in the UK in the last five years... and housing is probably the largest single expense for the majority of people here.

It's unbelievable. I just saw a terraced house advertised on the street where I lived in my hometown in Lancashire for £86,950 (approx $209,000). It's two up two down with no garden and it's leasehold so you don't even get the land. It occupies a liitle more land area than my two car garage. It isn't in a scenic spot either.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
It's unbelievable. I just saw a terraced house advertised on the street where I lived in my hometown in Lancashire for £86,950 (approx $209,000). It's two up two down with no garden and it's leasehold so you don't even get the land. It occupies a liitle more land area than my two car garage. It isn't in a scenic spot either.
There's two bedroom terraced house for sale across the street for $289,000. I expect it's freehold but there's neither parking nor much yard. $209,000 doesn't seem too bad.
Old Jul 27th 2005, 11:51 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dbd33
There's two bedroom terraced house for sale across the street for $289,000. I expect it's freehold but there's neither parking nor much yard. $209,000 doesn't seem too bad.
terraced house down here for sale for £250,000 = $525,000

Now thats expensive!
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33

City prices are always higher irrespective of country. The place I quoted was in a little town in Lanacashire.
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

tonster is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by flashman
City prices are always higher irrespective of country. The place I quoted was in a little town in Lanacashire.
You've got to expect downtown Toronto to be more expensive than elsewhere (even in Canada the major cities cost more for obvious reasons)! Try around $250,000-300,000 for a nice 3 bed detached house in the suburbs about 40 mins from downtown. Now see what you get that far from central London (and in a nice location, not a dive by any means.

Got to compare apples with apples.

I'd have to say that 55K pounds with a family and starting out in London would be nowhere near enough to get me the lifestyle I enjoy in Ontario. Maybe its OK if you don't want to buy anything or have a family, who knows?
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Try around $250,000-300,000 for a nice 3 bed detached house in the suburbs about 40 mins from downtown. Now see what you get that far from central London (and in a nice location, not a dive by any means.
I live in a commuter village full of bankers just outside London. Two-bedroom apartments are up for sale for the equivalent of about CAN$800,000 at the moment... then again, they've been trying to sell them for up to a year now without much luck .
Old Jul 28th 2005, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by tonster
I'd have to say that 55K pounds with a family and starting out in London would be nowhere near enough to get me the lifestyle I enjoy in Ontario. Maybe its OK if you don't want to buy anything or have a family, who knows?
You can use exchange rates, salaries etc. for comparison till you're blue in the face but what it really boils down to is purchasing power. I think you simply get more for your money in Canada especially when you look at the golf cart sized cars in the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.