Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Not enough points so looks like this is it... How depressing!

Not enough points so looks like this is it... How depressing!

Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Not enough points so looks like this is it... How depressing!

If you wanted to study in Canada anyway, then why can't you go on a study permit? You can work part-time on it, your OH gets an open work permit, and once you've spent a year studying in Canada you can apply for a Skilled Worker visa under Cat 3 (plus get points for the year in Canada). So choose a 2 year course and you should have PR before your studies end.

A possible option??
Old Dec 17th 2009, 12:13 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kaye.
Have you been to Canada before?

We're in a similar situation as you (well not really similar but..) I'm 23, hubbys 24, we have 2 young children (4 and 1), we own our home, and hubby has a secure well paying job.. but we haven't stopped thinking about Canada for a year. We've never been!

Our plan is to go to Canada for a recce in May, if we decide we want to live there we will put in our application immediately. (Hubby is on the list)

We will have to sell our house, pack everything up, take our daughter out of school, transport our dogs, and move. It might not work out, we will have used all our savings, we would have to come back to the UK and start from scratch, buy another home, etc.

But... you only live once! Do you want to look back in 20 years and think "I wish we'd tried it" ? I don't! I want the adventure
We are in almost exactly the same position as you , our recce is in June and our plans are the same.. so exciting! I just worry that I am removed from the list before then!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 1:47 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Not that kind of studies I'm afraid - I want to train to become a beautician, that's only 9months full time or 12months part time (at least the courses I have been able to find so far in Canada)... So that doesn't warrant a study permit.
A new thought: We go to Canada on our BUNAC visas, hope for my husband to get that job offer we so desperately need to make up our points, apply for PR, if BUNAC runs out apply for TWP until PR is sorted... Good idea?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 2:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Not that kind of studies I'm afraid - I want to train to become a beautician, that's only 9months full time or 12months part time (at least the courses I have been able to find so far in Canada)... So that doesn't warrant a study permit.
A new thought: We go to Canada on our BUNAC visas, hope for my husband to get that job offer we so desperately need to make up our points, apply for PR, if BUNAC runs out apply for TWP until PR is sorted... Good idea?
You can certainly try that, plenty of people do, although obviously it's not guaranteed. A 9 month full-time course would be eligible for a study permit though (anything over 6 months in duration needs a study permit), so perhaps another option is Bunac for a year, apply for FSW Cat 3 and then study permit for your course so that hubby can stay working whilst your PR comes through?

Or if you're that desperate to get to Canada, perhaps find another course that's longer in duration, even if it's not what you had originally intended?
Old Dec 17th 2009, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Tanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond reputeTanja87 has a reputation beyond repute

Aaaaah, 6 months for a study permit you say? Might need to look into this option a bit more then! Thank you!!!!
Just thought of another option - I mean, we can always go in a few years time if nothing else works. Sooooooo, if we stay here for now and "move on" - I do my course (which will give us more points), maybe get that house or another job (really need something to change, ANYthing!), we may even learn some French (again more points) and then in 2.5 years we can try again. Of course this would come with the risk that by then the regulations have changed again making it yet more difficult to get in...
Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:00 pm
Future Albertan

Kaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond reputeKaye. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
We are in almost exactly the same position as you , our recce is in June and our plans are the same.. so exciting! I just worry that I am removed from the list before then!
Same worry here We're just not willing to apply yet though, we need to visit first to see if we actually want to live there or not! Fingers crossed the list doesn't change any time soon
Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:18 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

We were in the same boat as you at 25 with a move to the US..we were given bad advice so made a life in the UK..a good move on our part...some of the best years of my life but all good things come to an end..we had to move for work so we wanted to make a big move..we tried again for the US at 38 still no joy job wise so went for Canada..we were in a gray area there...hubby got a job offer on his first trip over..I have family there so I'd been before..but then a job offer came up in the US so we were here at age 40..never say never..good luck
Old Dec 17th 2009, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

jonny rocket is an unknown quantity at this point

We had very little education, I had 22 years in the Army and the wife was working in IT in London. Our advantage was that we had continuous employment since we got together. Don't get too hooked on the points system, CIC can be very flexible when looking for suitability. We both wrote to companies here in Calgary highlighting our skills...to our surprise we were offered interviews even before our immigration was confirmed. The replys we received Canadian employers we forwarded on to CIC. Don't give up CIC like tryers.

CIC like City & Guilds and NVQ's especially 3 & 4.

Best of Luck...don't give up.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Do you reckon? I thought as soon as you didn't have enough points that was it But I guess with a job offer it'd be safer, plus we'd have the missing points...
Oh well, still loads to think about for us!!! Gotta explore different options now but I'm sure we'll make it over somehow, one day
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:30 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Tanja87
Do you reckon? I thought as soon as you didn't have enough points that was it But I guess with a job offer it'd be safer, plus we'd have the missing points...
Oh well, still loads to think about for us!!! Gotta explore different options now but I'm sure we'll make it over somehow, one day
Your correct, don't have 67 points, usually refusal. A certified job offer gives you 10 additional points
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jonny rocket

CIC like City & Guilds and NVQ's especially 3 & 4.
Several posters on here would disagree with you.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Good, thanks PMM, at least I got that one right
OK, so our 2 options are either going and hoping we get the job offer, apply for PR and hope we get a TWP extension when BUNAC runs out and before PR hopefully does come through () or going on over here, studying, learning French (hihi) and then hope that by the time we're done the requirements for PR haven't changed too much so we can apply then... Decisions, decisions, decisions!
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:41 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
Several posters on here would disagree with you.
Allternatively several would agree, each of us are entitled to our opinions and to provide our OWN experiences.

Please remember that the majority of posters on this forum have the benefit of actually having completed their application and now living in Canada. You AFAIK have neither.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Allternatively several would agree, each of us are entitled to our opinions and to provide our OWN experiences.

Please remember that the majority of posters on this forum have the benefit of actually having completed their application and now living in Canada. You AFAIK have neither.
I'm not sure what your problem is - if you simply did a search in the immigration section you would see that there have been several posters that have had issues with NVQ's and CIC. If you did the research you may realise that.

That's all I was pointing out - nothing to do with my own application, but obviously you have felt the need to bring that up in an attempt to discredit my comments.
Old Dec 17th 2009, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

riccosuabe is an unknown quantity at this point

me and my wife are in the process of applying to move and have spoken to a quite highly regarded immigration firm (global visas) and when we had our meeting witht them they said because my job is on the 38 list (plumber) we wouldnt have a problem.now i took the test last night and failed by 3,what i dont understand is, yes i only had 12 years education, but i did an intensive plumbing course where i gained my full nvq and have been working as a fully qualified plumber for 2 years now.but there are no options for my qualification as it is not a diploma,but a trade certificate and plumbing wasnt on the list of trade cert's, so i lost points there and it give me 0 on adaptability which i dont know why,i married with 2 kids and have 20,000 cad takeover money with no criminal records or bad health, so why am i not adaptable? im not too worried as the immigration consultant as soon as i told her i was a qualified plumber she said "well it definately wont be a problem for you then".is she just blowing smoke up my a@@? plus i thought your spouses education etc can score too but never asked anything bout the missus, only me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.