Northern Lights

Wikiposts

Northern Lights

Old May 30th 2005, 10:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation
Default Re: Northern Lights

Originally Posted by Scouse
Thanks, Smokey...I would love to see them this year, CHC willing, but I think next year will be more realistic. Tell the 'light-keeper' to keep the wick trimmed....I'm a coming!!

ps. those lamp posts are tricky little devils, aren't they!!

LOL....don't really think that the northern lights are going to be going anywhere soon!

I grew up in the K-W area and watched them every year!
Old May 30th 2005, 11:57 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
They are pretty cool to watch...except for the mozzies.
A good way to see them is to take a boat out on Lake Superior. It's far enough north, there's no light pollution and no there are no bugs.
Old May 30th 2005, 1:27 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
A good way to see them is to take a boat out on Lake Superior. It's far enough north, there's no light pollution and no there are no bugs.
Unfortunately Lake Superior is not exactly in my back yard, so I'll stick to using DEET for now. Hell, by the time I got to lake superior, I might as well keep going on up to Churchill aqnd see some Polar Bears while I was at it!
Old May 30th 2005, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Unfortunately Lake Superior is not exactly in my back yard, so I'll stick to using DEET for now. Hell, by the time I got to lake superior, I might as well keep going on up to Churchill aqnd see some Polar Bears while I was at it!

I can tell you from experience that they are very cute (from a distance!)
Old May 30th 2005, 1:47 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's not in our backyard either but we were close to Wawa this morning and I was surprised that it was only eight hours back to the top of Toronto. Two hours more for the last ten miles, of course. One of my daughters is a keen sailor and sailed from here up to Superior most summers through high school, it was she who brought the attractions of the near North to my attention. The lights are good but something else that's nice up there is that you can see stars; it's hard to see a star through the Toronto sky.
Old May 30th 2005, 2:00 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

The lights are good but something else that's nice up there is that you can see stars; it's hard to see a star through the Toronto sky.
Another of the joys of living in the GTA eh No shortage of stars a short drive East into the boonies LOL! Of course we get all the crappy Toronto generated poor air quality for half the summer though
Old May 30th 2005, 7:56 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

They are pretty cool to watch...except for the mozzies.
Solve the bug problem by watching for northern lights after or before mosquito season. No bugs and much better opportunities to see the lights.
Old May 31st 2005, 7:50 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Solve the bug problem by watching for northern lights after or before mosquito season. No bugs and much better opportunities to see the lights.
This far south though we have to take them when we can get them Only seen them once (two nights in one week) in 7+ years. I hear they are fairly common just a little further north though (100km or so, Bancroft way).
Old May 31st 2005, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Scouse
Are the Northern Lights only visible from places like Yukon - NWT - Nunavut - Labrador, etc, or can they be seen at lower latitudes too?

How many people have seen them, and are they as spectacular as they appear in photo's?
Yep - seen them a few times from my house - and it really is amazing, watching them dance across the sky.
Old May 31st 2005, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Edward de Par is on a distinguished road

We see northern lights in Manitoba in the fall and Spring where I live. 51k SW of Winnipeg. I have seen red green blue and white ones waving and moving in the night sky..sometimes so very bright they can wake you from sleep.

A couple of nights ago we saw sunstorms at night which are a lot faster than the northern lights and white in colour.

Do a lot of sky watching out here in the country. See loads of shooting stars and got a good view of the Mars phenomenon last year which appeared to be very big when it was closest to earth.

I don't think you can see them when inside the city limits due to the lighting.
Old May 31st 2005, 2:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Edward de Par
We see northern lights in Manitoba in the fall and Spring where I live. 51k SW of Winnipeg. I have seen red green blue and white ones waving and moving in the night sky..sometimes so very bright they can wake you from sleep.

A couple of nights ago we saw sunstorms at night which are a lot faster than the northern lights and white in colour.

Do a lot of sky watching out here in the country. See loads of shooting stars and got a good view of the Mars phenomenon last year which appeared to be very big when it was closest to earth.

I can remember as a kid growing up in Winnipeg, sitting outside on the lawn and watch rainstorms approaching the city! You could see them for miles and miles away! It was really amazing. My folks took some incredible photos!
Old May 31st 2005, 2:50 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Saw them last year in Calgary (end of July ish). White only but still blew my mind. Something I'll never forget.

Friends were houseboating in the Shuswaps in BC (apparently a brillant holiday if I may go off on a tangent) the same night and said they had all the colours.

Stayed in a caravan park on the edge of Thetford forest a few summers back and they had brillant pictures of the lights that were taken from there in the 70's.
Old May 31st 2005, 9:34 pm
Journeyman Canadian

scimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of lightscimdarren is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Edward de Par

We saw them whilst snow shoeing at the Fort Whyte centre, Winnipeg, during our first visit to Canada in February, wow!
Very pretty even with the light pollution of the city.

Darren