Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Northern Lights

Wikiposts

Northern Lights

Old May 29th 2005, 3:04 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice
Default Northern Lights

Are the Northern Lights only visible from places like Yukon - NWT - Nunavut - Labrador, etc, or can they be seen at lower latitudes too?

How many people have seen them, and are they as spectacular as they appear in photo's?
Old May 29th 2005, 3:13 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Northern Lights

I know my friends see them quite often. They live near Red Deer, about an hour north of Calgary.

I am soooo looking forward to seeing them when we get there!!
Old May 29th 2005, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Scouse
Are the Northern Lights only visible from places like Yukon - NWT - Nunavut - Labrador, etc, or can they be seen at lower latitudes too?

How many people have seen them, and are they as spectacular as they appear in photo's?

We see them very clearly in Victoria if we go out late at nite and it's clear. We don't always get the beautiful colours, mostly white.

Yes, they are absolutely spectacular and well worth getting up late to watch!
Old May 29th 2005, 5:43 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

I've seen them many times (I've lived on and off in the Yukon) and they're waaaay more spectacular than in the photos! I never get bored of them as it's a completely amazing experience. The photos are great but sitting back in a snow drift and watching the lights dance across the sky while sipping brandy and inhaling the fresh arctic air (and maybe a doobie ) and getting spiritual is an experience I highly recommend. Oh, I miss that .

You can see them at lower latitudes but they are less frequent and less dramatic but are definitely still worth seeking out, IMO. Although the northern lights are difficult to predict accurately, they (people who study them) still try to. You can sign up to a email alert list here:http://www.gi.alaska.edu/predict.php3

Here's a video of some northern lights from Norway:
http://virtual.finland.fi/stream/aurora.ram

ooooo..... ahhhhh......

And here's something to do when you get to Canada
http://www.auroraborealisyukon.com/
Old May 29th 2005, 5:45 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willmore
We see them very clearly in Victoria if we go out late at nite and it's clear. We don't always get the beautiful colours, mostly white.
Are you sure they're not just ghosts Willmore? :scared:

Old May 29th 2005, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
That is so cool.... I will have to take a trip north to see in person, Absolutely beautiful. Thanks

Dozzzzy
Old May 29th 2005, 6:30 am
Gone Walkabout

Scouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really niceScouse is just really nice

I've seen them many times (I've lived on and off in the Yukon) and they're waaaay more spectacular than in the photos! I never get bored of them as it's a completely amazing experience. The photos are great but sitting back in a snow drift and watching the lights dance across the sky while sipping brandy and inhaling the fresh arctic air (and maybe a doobie ) and getting spiritual is an experience I highly recommend. Oh, I miss that .

You can see them at lower latitudes but they are less frequent and less dramatic but are definitely still worth seeking out, IMO. Although the northern lights are difficult to predict accurately, they (people who study them) still try to. You can sign up to a email alert list here:http://www.gi.alaska.edu/predict.php3

Here's a video of some northern lights from Norway:
http://virtual.finland.fi/stream/aurora.ram

ooooo..... ahhhhh......

And here's something to do when you get to Canada
http://www.auroraborealisyukon.com/
WOW!!! Thanks for that, HWP. Absolutely amazing!!

The idea of sipping brandy in a snow-drift is extremely appealing! I approve!

I almost asked what a doobie was, and then I got hit by a flashback!!
Old May 29th 2005, 6:39 am
Gone Walkabout

Yes, they are absolutely spectacular and well worth getting up late to watch!

What do you mean by 'late?' - is that around 1 -2 am, or earlier/later? Just wondering, as my eye/brain co-ordination is usually suffering quite badly by that time. Never sure whether it's reality or not, if you get my drift!!

Last edited by Scouse; May 29th 2005 at 6:41 am.
Old May 29th 2005, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What - don't you like my little pet, willmore?

What do you mean by 'late?' - is that around 1 -2 am, or earlier/later? Just wondering, as my eye/brain co-ordination is usually suffering quite badly by that time. Never sure whether it's reality or not, if you get my drift!!
Sorry.....your little pet?

yep, Jim and I usually get up about that time and either go down to the beach or some dark area, as obviously you won't see them in a lighted area!

But the ones that I remember seeing growing up in Ontario,are the most beautiful ones that I've ever seen!
Old May 29th 2005, 6:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Are you sure they're not just ghosts Willmore? :scared:

At 2am anything is possible! LOL

I can't open either of those web links you left!
Old May 29th 2005, 6:47 am
Gone Walkabout

Sorry.....your little pet?

yep, Jim and I usually get up about that time and either go down to the beach or some dark area, as obviously you won't see them in a lighted area!

But the ones that I remember seeing growing up in Ontario,are the most beautiful ones that I've ever seen!
Sorry....obviously a mistake on my part. I thought your 'Get rid of that hideous signature toon' referred to my little bat......then I realised that it is on all of your posts!!

I have added the lights to my list of 'must do's' when (if) I finally arrive in Canada, even if it means arranging a special trip to do it.
Old May 29th 2005, 7:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sorry....obviously a mistake on my part. I thought your 'Get rid of that hideous signature toon' referred to my little bat......then I realised that it is on all of your posts!!

I have added the lights to my list of 'must do's' when (if) I finally arrive in Canada, even if it means arranging a special trip to do it.

No, of course not. A good friend of mine dislikes Macs and loves to aggravate me as much as possible about the fact that I'm on a Mac! No offense intended!

The northern lights are very much a "must do"!

Last edited by willmore; May 29th 2005 at 7:09 am.
Old May 29th 2005, 1:48 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

No, theres no need to go that far north. We spent a few hours last year watching them from our back yard, but I understand they dont usually come this far south. IIRC that was the same time last year that they could be seen from the UK.

They are pretty cool to watch...except for the mozzies.
Old May 30th 2005, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Smokey is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by iaink
No, theres no need to go that far north. We spent a few hours last year watching them from our back yard, but I understand they dont usually come this far south. IIRC that was the same time last year that they could be seen from the UK.

They are pretty cool to watch...except for the mozzies.
I too was watching them from my backyard! I first saw them when I took the dog for a walk around 10pm one night and walked into a lamp post. It didn't take anything special just a look upwards in a city...er Saskatoon....so if ya wanna come visit you'll see them this year (hopefully)
Old May 30th 2005, 8:30 am
Gone Walkabout

Originally Posted by Smokey
I too was watching them from my backyard! I first saw them when I took the dog for a walk around 10pm one night and walked into a lamp post. It didn't take anything special just a look upwards in a city...er Saskatoon....so if ya wanna come visit you'll see them this year (hopefully)
Thanks, Smokey...I would love to see them this year, CHC willing, but I think next year will be more realistic. Tell the 'light-keeper' to keep the wick trimmed....I'm a coming!!

ps. those lamp posts are tricky little devils, aren't they!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.