Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

North Vancouver Island dreams

North Vancouver Island dreams

Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:07 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Vancouver Island dreams

Originally Posted by lmartin999
I had a colleague at SFU who for various reasons also wanted to registered with BC College of Teachers. They evaluated his papers and told him that he needed to take an additional course. Turned out the course they wanted him to do was one he was teaching...
Unless things have changed they are a pain and very full of themselves. UBC actually went to court against them some years ago and won:

"The College of Teachers had established a detailed process for the assessment and approval of local training programs. The College’s Program Approval Team made a number of detailed recommendations for UBC’s training program. These recommendations addressed, among other things, the level of staffing, the student / supervisor ratio for the practice teaching, and the consultative process for the university and its sessional faculty advisors.

UBC declined to follow the recommendations asserting that the College was interfering in its internal affairs. The College refused to approve the UBC program. UBC went to court."
You can imagine the faces at UBC when they received these 'recommendations'
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:37 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I had a colleague at SFU who for various reasons also wanted to registered with BC College of Teachers. They evaluated his papers and told him that he needed to take an additional course. Turned out the course they wanted him to do was one he was teaching...
Unless things have changed they are a pain and very full of themselves.
LOL at the first paragraph. It's the same nonsense in Ontario. I've posted this before, but before your time. My OH did her teaching credential in French at Cambridge but when she was getting accredited here, OCT requested a form from Cambridge certifying whether the qualification was for teaching french to anglophones or to francophones. Needless to say, Cambridge doesn't have such forms. But would OCT budge?
Old Oct 19th 2009, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Turned out the course they wanted him to do was one he was teaching...

Sounds like Almost Canadian who, I think, had to retake a course written by the guy that taught his lectures in the UK
Old Oct 20th 2009, 4:04 pm

gloveman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by helcat12
Hello, everyone. I am a newbie to this site, so bear with me!
I have read all the stuff and am still confused. I so desperately want to relocate permanently to Vancouver Island, pref the North East coast.
Husband in IT, me a Primary teacher, both 40, no kids, just cats, own a home with a small mortgage here, some savings but mostly equity in house.
My job is on the list of shortage occupations in BC, but I would have to join the supply list when I arrived, so money an issue.
I just don't know how to evaluate the best route to apply. I am getting the paperwork together for my Brtish Columbia College of Teachers certificate, but it is likely that I will have to do some distance learning on Canadian history etc to qualify for the full certification that will allow me to teach. The advice i have read on the teaching front seems conflicting - some say it is hard to get a job, others that it is easy and it is listed as a shortage area....
My husband is well qualified in his area of expertise.
I just need some clarification of how things work and the best and quickest way to get over there!
I want to go NOW!

Hi there - we live between Courtenay and Campbell River - great part of the world. Can't see your husband having much luck in the IT field in the part of the Island you're looking at. As for teaching you stand more chance to get a job in the remote parts as less people want that. The north of the Island will be great for the life style you seem to want but not so good for getting jobs.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 5:09 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, everyone!
Yep, lots of conflicting remarks on this site!
I don't give much for wiki articles - they are not real people's experiences and I find them to be often misleading or out of date.
I have contact with a teacher who relocated 3 years ago, became a PRINCIPAL after 2 years on the island and has now moved to the mainland. This proves that there are places for teachers on the Island in the North, which is where I want to be! As posters here have said, many Brits have relocated successfully, even teachers, so I am not disheartened by posters with negative comments. Unlike some in my line of work, I am a teacher at heart- I would not want to give it up unless I had to - and one of my hopes about emigrating is to be able to teach in Canada away from the petty and destructive Governmental interference and bureaucracy in the UK.
Also my husband's IT work is of a nature that it can easily be done remotely with a high speed internet connection and a telephone. He sometimes works from home here, so it wouldn't matter if he was 20 miles away or 2000!
We recently went to an Emigrate fair and found it very enlightening.
An actual representative from the Canadian High Commission in London gave us some personal advice that has given us hope that my husband may be elligible for application through the Federal Skilled Worker route, which is relatively easy and quick at the moment. (That was the 'list' of jobs that I was referring to in my first post on this site!)
OH is currently getting the paperwork together and we will be submitting this in the next couple of weeks. I am very employable in other areas as well as teaching and have been very successful at securing jobs in the past. I seem to do well on the strength of my personality at interviews or informal meetings. If OH gets the nod from the Feds, I will be allowed to work anywhere, which will suit me fine to start off with. I can wait for the teaching to come good - I can't expect to get everything at once, can I?
Fingers crossed!
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:03 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, everyone!
I don't give much for wiki articles - they are not real people's experiences and I find them to be often misleading or out of date.
But that is what they are, other peoples experience. If you don't like the answers you get, often from people with real experience, why ask. I guess your experience will end up giving you the answers.

I have contact with a teacher who relocated 3 years ago, became a PRINCIPAL after 2 years on the island and has now moved to the mainland. This proves that there are places for teachers on the Island in the North, which is where I want to be! As posters here have said, many Brits have relocated successfully, even teachers, so I am not disheartened by posters with negative comments.
All this proves is one person succeeded, out of how many who tried? It's not the lack of jobs that is the problem, the union hinders many from getting in. Did you ask this PRINCIPAL what your chances were?

one of my hopes about emigrating is to be able to teach in Canada away from the petty and destructive Governmental interference and bureaucracy in the UK.
Why do you think it will be any different here? It's not and there is union interference to go with it.

Time will tell I guess. Right now there are no shortage of any workers on the west coast. Everyone I talk to has found it really easy to hire a high caliber of employee, quite different from a few years ago.

I would not suggest giving up. We came whatever and ended up with a couple of job offers the week before we all finally moved over.

The north island is very cut off from the rest of the island. Great for lifestyle and if that's what you want and just earn enough to put food on the table then it may work. Why did the principal move from the island to the mainland?

Just don't be disappointed if you have to adapt your plans a lot.

Last edited by Aviator; Oct 20th 2009 at 6:06 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:15 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, everyone!
Of course it's real peoples experiences. It didn't get there by magic you know, it's written by posters here based on what has happened to them.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:36 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator

All this proves is one person succeeded, out of how many who tried?

I have only ever failed one thing in my entire life, Aviator (my driving test - passed on the fifth time) so if one person can succeed, so can I.

It's not the lack of jobs that is the problem, the union hinders many from getting in. Did you ask this PRINCIPAL what your chances were?

Of course! She has regularly updated me on the situation with staffing over the last year, not to mention giving me a wealth of information about the problems that can arise and how she solved them. I have discussed with her the issues with teaching over here and compared them to the situation in the North Island. Nowhere is perfect, but having a UK teacher telling me as it is gives me enough evidence to say it's better than what I am experiencing and can expect to experience here in future.

Why do you think it will be any different here? It's not and there is union interference to go with it.

See above.

The north island is very cut off from the rest of the island. Great for lifestyle and if that's what you want and just earn enough to put food on the table then it may work. Why did the principal move from the island to the mainland?

Nothing we have heard word of mouth or otherwise has led us to believe that we can expect to live an extravagant lifestyle and we don't want to. Here we have a very good income which has helped us to save but in Canada we could easily manage on a much lower salary. What we want is a better quality of life, which for us means more time together as a couple and less job stress, basically.
As for Principal moving - Partner job promotion. She is still a principal in the new location.

Just don't be disappointed if you have to adapt your plans a lot.
If I wasn't very adaptable, I'd never have made it this far in my life. I think I am very realistic about what this part of Canada has to offer us, I haven't got rose-tinted specs on and I am not running away from a bad life here (far from it, actually.)
My priorities are few and my requirements are simple. How they are fulfilled is a matter of luck, opportunity and effort on my part.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:44 pm
Island life at last

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Of course it's real peoples experiences. It didn't get there by magic you know, it's written by posters here based on what has happened to them.
Forums of all kinds are heavily populated by people with ther own axe to grind or no direct experience at all. It is hard to find people who have something genuinely useful to say.
You don't need any qualifications to write a wiki article, no-one checks you know what you are talking about and so it cannot be defitinive advice for someone such as me.
The very fact that several posters have disagreed about the teaching situation for British immigrants on this thread proves that the situation is not straightforward.
Also, it is out of date, as the person who directed me to it initially warned me.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Robin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond reputeRobin (The Gadget family) has a reputation beyond repute

Hello, everyone!
Helcat12 - Be careful what you say because many of us have contributed to the wiki section to make it what it is today. I for one contributed to the 'things to do before you go' section, still as relevant today as it was 3 years ago. Wiki is all written and produced by dedicated forum members, some of whom spend hours helping out new-comers like yourselves, and can be updated at any time.

Some find this site a crutch until visas are obtained and others come for occasional advice and one day just aren't heard of anymore. For some the journey is longer than others, for others there are major hurdles to research.

If you search with the 'teachers' word in the search box above on the right, you may find more information from others experiences.

Maybe even you could update the outdated sections on the wiki?

Sorry.....just a bit hurt by your lack of appreciation for the efforts of the forum members.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 6:53 pm

Forums of all kinds are heavily populated by people with ther own axe to grind or no direct experience at all. It is hard to find people who have something genuinely useful to say.
You don't need any qualifications to write a wiki article, no-one checks you know what you are talking about and so it cannot be defitinive advice for someone such as me.
The very fact that several posters have disagreed about the teaching situation for British immigrants on this thread proves that the situation is not straightforward.
Also, it is out of date, as the person who directed me to it initially warned me.
Well you can take it or leave it. I do think you have rose tinted specs on despite your protestations to the contrary though.

Unlike some in my line of work, I am a teacher at heart- I would not want to give it up unless I had to - and one of my hopes about emigrating is to be able to teach in Canada away from the petty and destructive Governmental interference and bureaucracy in the UK.
Hahahahahahaha, no really. hahahahahaha.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why you are even posting on BE

You obviously know everything there is to know already. Articles on the WIKI ARE by real people - just because they don't say what you want to hear or were written some time ago doesn't make them any less valuable.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:32 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I share the comments of many others that the wiki articles are written by real people and reflect their real knowledge. As anyone can edit them glaring errors are easily corrected. I agree that some are not updated regularly, if at all. You can check this by clicking on the "history" tab, then make your own decision on their usefulness.

My priorities are few and my requirements are simple. How they are fulfilled is a matter of luck, opportunity and effort on my part.
However, I can't argue with this. If you keep this state of mind you will likely have an enjoyable and successful emmigration.
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:40 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

I just need some clarification of how things work and the best and quickest way to get over there!
I want to go NOW!
One wonders why you came on this forum for advice then

I tip my hat to some of the contributors on this forum - they have gone out of their way, in their own time, to log their experiences and pass on valuable advice. Of course it's up to you whether you take that advice or not but I don't think that coming on BE as a newbie and then sniping about the work of long-standing contributors is a good strategy for getting the best from this forum.

I have found the Wikis to be fantastic sources of info and the great thing about them is that they can be corrected and/or updated - it's very easy to criticize other people's earlier work but maybe it would be much more helpful to contribute any new information yourself. After all you are a teacher ......

J
Old Oct 20th 2009, 7:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Also my husband's IT work is of a nature that it can easily be done remotely with a high speed internet connection and a telephone.
I'd be cautious about assuming that any sort of internet connection is available in rural Canada, nevermind high speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.