Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

North Vancouver / Grouse mountain

North Vancouver / Grouse mountain

Old Jul 21st 2008, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about
Default North Vancouver / Grouse mountain

Morning All,

Myself and my lovely other half will be arriving in Vancouver November 4th. We have purchased some Y2Play ski passes for Grouse and want to make the most of them so would like a apartment close to the mountain (think first lift) Does anyone know of any nice places for rent in that neck of the woods? We only need a 1 bedroom and arent the fussiest of people. I have tried craigs list but it is very hit and miss as to what you can expect.

Thanks for all your great help,

Tom
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:06 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: North Vancouver / Grouse mountain

Originally Posted by Loki117
Morning All,

Myself and my lovely other half will be arriving in Vancouver November 4th. We have purchased some Y2Play ski passes for Grouse and want to make the most of them so would like a apartment close to the mountain (think first lift) Does anyone know of any nice places for rent in that neck of the woods? We only need a 1 bedroom and arent the fussiest of people. I have tried craigs list but it is very hit and miss as to what you can expect.

Tom

Alright Tom. Its expensive up there. The nearest area is called British Properties, funny enough, and is v pricey. If you live off Lonsdale Ave, which goes down the mountain to the seabus, its more reasonable. I lived on 19th off Lonsdale. The buses are v good and take about 15 mins to get to the ski lift. Maybe look at the Seymour area which is also on the north shore and the cheaper of the three hills and you can drive up to the ski area. Also Cypress is the same but its more expensive.

try www.mls.ca for houses.
Old Jul 21st 2008, 9:20 am
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

Thanks very much London.

I gave it a shot on that website and it came back with no results! How bizzar as the only criteria I set was in vancouver and one or more bedroom. Strange. Anyway thanks very much for the info.

I would be looking to spend $2000pcm for a place is this not enough for a 1 bedroom up there? I read that British property also doesnt have any public transport near by is this correct?
Old Jul 21st 2008, 3:55 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Don't bother looking in the British Properties. It is all multi-million dollar mansions. The cheapest rental you will probably find is at 6,000sf 5 bedroom home with ocean and mountain views. $2,000 a month is not going to cut it.

$2,000 a month, however, is plenty of money to rent a one bedroom apartment in North Van. You'll get the pick of the best for that. As Londonuk has already said, the area off Lonsdale is ideal.

Have a look at a fellow BE member's website http://www.relocate2bc.com/rentals/index.htm for links to rental properties on the North Shore.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:18 am
Just Joined

pixy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Loki117
Morning All,

Tom
Hi,

You could look in the Classified Ads of the North Shore News for rental apartments. Most rentals have a move in date of the 1st or 15th of each month.

Or in Vancouver Sun.

If you are looking to rent an apartment: most buildings put signs up when they have vacancies, and lots have waiting lists! So walking around neighbourhoods helps.

Avoid Craigslists lots of scams! People subletting flats ect.

We stayed in a basic - fully furnished place for a month, so we could look around before renting somewhere. If you go with them West 4th street in North Vancouver is the better location.

www.suitedeals.com

There are newer apartments around Victoria park / Lonsdale Avenue = concrete buildings, small 1 bedrooms - $1600 per month. Older properties are $1000 per month for 650 - 900 sq feet apartments.
Houses generally rent for about $2200+.

West Van generally costs more for rental than North Van.

Translink buses are very reliable for getting up to the mountain or anywhere on the North Shore or over to Vancouver. As traffic / rush hours are quiet compared to UK - makes travelling easy.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:30 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Are you visiting or staying for good? If you are visiting then anywhere on the north shore will do as the buses to Grouse Mountain run fairly frequently (and saves you the hassle of trying to park there!)

For visiting there are some self catering apartments at the bottom of Capilano Road that are fairly reasonable.

all the best

Clare
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Hi Clare I will be staying for the winter season Nov - March but I am in Canada for the year. Do you happen to know the names of the apartments?

Thanks a lot,

Tom
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 7:20 pm
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Don't bother looking in the British Properties. It is all multi-million dollar mansions. The cheapest rental you will probably find is at 6,000sf 5 bedroom home with ocean and mountain views. $2,000 a month is not going to cut it.

$2,000 a month, however, is plenty of money to rent a one bedroom apartment in North Van. You'll get the pick of the best for that. As Londonuk has already said, the area off Lonsdale is ideal.

Have a look at a fellow BE member's website http://www.relocate2bc.com/rentals/index.htm for links to rental properties on the North Shore.
The website above is mine Not sure if you want furnished or unfurnished. I assume furnished if you are staying for short period. My site has links to some furnished places for rent, similar to suitedeals. Also have had success through a partner of ours who looks for furnished suites on the north shore - could be a basement in someone's home. She tends to look much closer to arrival time as landlords are reluctant to commit too far in advance. Check out my links too.

Warmly,

Frank