Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it normal to feel instant regret?

Is it normal to feel instant regret?

Old Sep 23rd 2021, 5:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it normal to feel instant regret?

Originally Posted by cornishincanada
yes, this urbanification is crazy. Every bit of space is being built on​​​​​​
Most of the land in Langley will never be built on, as it is protected as agricultural land, shown here in green:

That's why we are seeing the move towards building upwards as well as the densification. Yes there are growing pains, but Vancouver is a major city, and the same goes with "getoutofbritainquick" and his move to Victoria, another big city. Eventually the growth reaches the suburbs and they have to densify to accommodate the migration of people moving into the city.

The advantage of this is more urban areas for a less car-dominated life, so this is actually a positive if you don't own a car.

Having been here a month I see some merit doing my time here for a bit and them moving north or east. There are jobs posted for my skills daily so should be possible, or even over to Alberta. Who knows! Alot can happen in a year!
If you are unsatisfied with the growth you may have trouble avoiding it, as Canada is a young country with a lot of country to city migration as well as 300k immigrants per year. Additionally, cities are where all the jobs are. There's less of the kind of UK-style "life in the country but commute via motorway to job in city" opportunities in Canada, it's basically city urban or suburban life or isolation in the sticks, due to how spread out it is and lower population density.

finished buildings are only affordable by the wealthy.

Agree that home prices are out of control though, it's a lot tougher as a new immigrant than it was 12 years ago when I moved here to afford housing. Hopefully more will be done about this.

Last edited by CanadaJimmy; Sep 23rd 2021 at 6:51 pm.
Old Sep 23rd 2021, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it normal to feel instant regret?

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
Most of the land in Langley will never be built on, as it is protected as agricultural land, shown here in green:

That's why we are seeing the move towards building upwards as well as the densification. Yes there are growing pains, but Vancouver is a major city, and the same goes with "getoutofbritainquick" and his move to Victoria, another big city. Eventually the growth reaches the suburbs and they have to densify to accommodate the migration of people moving into the city.

The advantage of this is more urban areas for a less car-dominated life, so this is actually a positive if you don't own a car.

If you are unsatisfied with the growth you may have trouble avoiding it, as Canada is a young country with a lot of country to city migration as well as 300k immigrants per year. Additionally, cities are where all the jobs are. There's less of the kind of UK-style "life in the country but commute via motorway to job in city" opportunities in Canada, it's basically city urban or suburban life or isolation in the sticks, due to how spread out it is and lower population density.

Agree that home prices are out of control though, it's a lot tougher as a new immigrant than it was 12 years ago when I moved here to afford housing. Hopefully more will be done about this.
Would be nice to think that the land is protected and will never be built on. Unfortunately nothing is ever guaranteed and anything can change in this world. I thought it was actually the opposite and since Covid more and more people no longer want to live in high-rise apartments because the benefits of city living are slowly disappearing. Of course on a densley populated island like Malta they have no other choice.