Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No PR Card - border crossing

No PR Card - border crossing

Old Jul 22nd 2016, 6:10 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default No PR Card - border crossing

My PR card has expired. I'm still waiting for a date for the citizenship ceremony. I may well have to travel to Seattle in August for work. If I go by land, will I be OK at the border? I have my UK passport which has lots of years on it. I also have my expired PR card and the receipt from CIC of my application for citizenship that says it is in progress.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Freshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond reputeFreshwhyte has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No PR Card - border crossing

Do you still have your landed papers ?

My mom ran into this issue last year after a ridiculous delay in renewing her PR card (yet at the time new applicants were being processed rather quickly) And was able to get across with a copy of her landed papers, passport and expired PR card.

Americans don't care about it, they have previously referred to it as the "Maple Leaf Card" or the "Cash Grab Card" when I've gone across with her before lol.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 7:07 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Freshwhyte
Do you still have your landed papers ?

My mom ran into this issue last year after a ridiculous delay in renewing her PR card (yet at the time new applicants were being processed rather quickly) And was able to get across with a copy of her landed papers, passport and expired PR card.

Americans don't care about it, they have previously referred to it as the "Maple Leaf Card" or the "Cash Grab Card" when I've gone across with her before lol.
Yes I have all the documentation from originally landing. I have only left Canada for 1 night in the last 6 years too.
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 7:18 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

You can get across with just your COPR (and passport)

I am waiting on my first PR card and was told this was ok.

I am going to Washington for the weekend so I can report back Sunday night

Last edited by beckiwoo; Jul 22nd 2016 at 7:23 pm. Reason: forgot to add passport to the list
Old Jul 22nd 2016, 7:19 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
You can get across with just your COPR.

I am waiting on my first PR card and was told this was ok.

I am going to Washington for the weekend so I can report back Sunday night
That would be really useful info Beckiwoo. Thank you!
Old Jul 24th 2016, 11:57 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah it's not a big problem at land borders. Even your SIN or DL will be enough for CBSA to look you up. CBP are supposed to check for evidence of non-immigrant intent and their SOP is to ask for your PR card (so have said a couple of CBP inspectors to me in the past) but then again, they often don't bother and there are other things you can use to show non-immigrant intent.

It's by air where you really need the card because the carrier isn't supposed to let you board without proof you can legally enter Canada. So people BS that and say they're a visitor but once ETA is in place that won't be possible anymore.
Old Jul 25th 2016, 3:51 am
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Just arrived back into Vancouver.

no issues at all with just showing my COPR
Old Jul 25th 2016, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

If you are coming back in a private vehicle like your own car or a rented car it should be okay:

I need to leave Canada and I do not have a permanent resident card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card?

And the law says that a PR is allowed to enter Canada, if following an examination at the border, an officer concludes they are a PR (IRPA A19(2)):

Immigration and Refugee Protection Act

S
Old Jul 26th 2016, 9:41 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Originally Posted by Snowy560
If you are coming back in a private vehicle like your own car or a rented car it should be okay:

I need to leave Canada and I do not have a permanent resident card. Can I later return to Canada without a PR card?

And the law says that a PR is allowed to enter Canada, if following an examination at the border, an officer concludes they are a PR (IRPA A19(2)):

Immigration and Refugee Protection Act

S
Thanks for the info' guys. Does anyone know if I'd be OK taking the fast ferry from Victoria to Seattle and back? Might save having to take the car.
Old Jul 26th 2016, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Thanks for the info' guys. Does anyone know if I'd be OK taking the fast ferry from Victoria to Seattle and back? Might save having to take the car.
Do you consider the fast ferry to be a commercial carrier?
Permanent residents (PR) of Canada must carry and present their valid PR card or permanent resident travel document (PRTD) when boarding a flight to Canada, or travelling to Canada on any other commercial carrier. If you do not carry your PR card or PRTD, you may not be able to board your flight, train, bus or boat to Canada.

So you got to Seattle but on returning the ferry operator wanted to see your PR card what do you do then?
Old Jul 26th 2016, 11:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with FL: it would be safer to take your own car over to the mainland on the ferry from Swartz Bay, drive back over the land border then take the ferry back to the island via Tsawwassen.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Jul 26th 2016 at 11:04 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 12:39 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Bear in mind under Article 6 of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, PRs have a right to enter Canada. When you go through a land border, you're already in Canada so they have to let you in. Not the same at a foreign airport.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 5:41 pm
Forum Regular

Bella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond reputeBella Cullen has a reputation beyond repute

I travel regularly to the US for work and they just look at my landing paperwork. Luckily my PR card came today but it has never even raised an eyebrow for me crossing back into Canada.
Old Jul 29th 2016, 7:02 pm
Bex in the city

Originally Posted by Bella Cullen
I travel regularly to the US for work and they just look at my landing paperwork. Luckily my PR card came today but it has never even raised an eyebrow for me crossing back into Canada.
The problem is a lot of the airlines don't accept the COPR and will only let you board with the PR card
Old Jul 30th 2016, 3:43 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Hi guys
This is now a real issue rather than theoretical. I have to be in South Seattle from the 8th to 12th. No valid pr card and although eligible for citizenship and application in no date for ceremony yet. Is my only option to take the Coho from victoria to Port Angeles? Sounds like the Clipper into downtown Seattle as a foot passenger may be problematic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.