Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No paid holiday for 1 year - is this normal ???

No paid holiday for 1 year - is this normal ???

Old Dec 17th 2008, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: No paid holiday for 1 year - is this normal ???

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Nice, congrats. But don't burn bridges with jackass #1.

R.
I don't intend to. It's a small world around here, and the President of the company #1 that offered the job lives locally !
Old Dec 17th 2008, 10:32 pm
Truro NS

wbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond reputewbexpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No paid holiday for 1 year - is this normal ???

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It should accrue from day 1. If you have 3 weeks vacation you will accrue 6% of each paycheck. E.g. if you earn $1,000 a week you will accure $60 a week. After you have worked 50 weeks you will have $3,000 accrued - sufficent for 3 weeks pay.

Hourly paid jobs often start with a 4% accrual. As employers tended to prefer their employees to take their vacation all at once they would insist they worked 50 weeks from their start date, at which time they had sufficient holiday pay accrued for a 2 week vacation.

As said above, this is highly negotiable. I know employers who will not allow more vacation time than accrued, but I have not know of an employer insisting on a full year of service before allowing any vacation.

Accrued vacation pay is yours. If you don't take the vacation time, or if you leave a job, you can insist the employer pays you all the accrued pay. Other employers will pay out the vacation pay with each paycheck. If your salary is $1,000 a week they will pay you $1,060.00. It is then up to you to save sufficient money to cover your holiday pay.
Uh. Yeah. Sorry I dont appear to have explained myself adequately.

What I meant from my post in which I said "mine accured from day 1" was "every week I work I get 0.4 days off" so after 3 weeks I was able to take a paid day off. After my 3 months I have 6 days which I am taking over Christmas. I didnt have to wait a year to take them.

Hope thats clearer for folks.

JonBoy's post is quite right. I think we just are talking at crossed purposes.