Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No paid holiday for 1 year - is this normal ???

No paid holiday for 1 year - is this normal ???

Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:14 am
Immigration Consultant

Paul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond reputePaul Wildy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No paid holiday for 1 year - is this normal ???

As Iaink says its not illegal, but it does sound a bit harsh to me. I couldnt say based on experience if this is something that you should treat as negotiable but that would certainly be my first course of action.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:14 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Southcote
This is all new to me. I did know that the actual holiday entitlement is lower, and was expecting that, but I wasn't expecting no paid holidays for a year. When I first saw it I thought it was a mistake. Judging by the replies it's not unknown, but is far removed from what I'm used to.
I hear ya.

Plus... you may not be able to take unpaid leave either.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 2:15 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

This sounds harsh - is it normal ?
Honestly, that's brutal. Doesn't seem like they value you too highly. Have a reality check. Both my jobs here I got equivalent leave in the first year.

Negotiate the arse off them, you'll see if they value you.

R.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:16 am
BE Enthusiast

bandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond reputebandit has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't able to take any vacation during my 3 month probation, but not for a whole year...

If legal, it is a little harsh I have to say.

As for stat holidays, I have been able to take them from Day 1, and be paid for them.

Bx
Old Dec 17th 2008, 9:40 am
Forum Regular

LadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant futureLadyRayden has a brilliant future

Received a job offer today and was a little surprised by some of the terms. I knew that paid holiday entitlement is less in Canada than in the UK, but with this job the holiday clause is "3 weeks paid vacation per annum, after one year completed service", ie. no paid holiday in the first year. This sounds harsh - is it normal ?
This has been my experience. I was surprised in Europe to get holidays at a start. Fiance and I are getting married this year and do not expect to have a honeymoon until the next year due to that "earn your holiday" base. We both hope to be able to negociate 2 weeks for November 09 or January 10. We know chances are slim.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:08 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Absolutely NOT my experience and would be a deal breaker for a job for me. (as would less than 3 weeks vacation anyway.) I speculate that the jobs with really restrictive vacation practices often seem to be the unionised ones - you do get good benefits but not until you have built up seniority.

In both jobs here I've had 4 weeks vac + stats available immediately (obviously pro-rata'd in the first year depending upon start date.)
Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:23 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

It really depends on who you work for and on your bargaining power.

When I went to work for the CHC in 1996 I was told by my new boss that I was expected to not use any of my vacation time during the first year. I was in no position to argue.

Souvette is just about to start a new job (not that new, really; she's going back to DND). They very much wanted to get her and so agreed to the idea of her starting her new job with a 10-day vacation. They also agreed to a compressed working week, which isn't normal in DND.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Absolutely NOT my experience and would be a deal breaker for a job for me. (as would less than 3 weeks vacation anyway.) I speculate that the jobs with really restrictive vacation practices often seem to be the unionised ones - you do get good benefits but not until you have built up seniority.

In both jobs here I've had 4 weeks vac + stats available immediately (obviously pro-rata'd in the first year depending upon start date.)
It's a reasonable senior position, but in a smallish company. If this is what happens with all employers then it's pointless me getting concerned about it. From the replies I have seen, it does seem as though it varies from employer to employer. To be honest it's a deal breaker for me, but only if it's not the norm over here.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:39 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's a reasonable senior position, but in a smallish company. If this is what happens with all employers then it's pointless me getting concerned about it. From the replies I have seen, it does seem as though it varies from employer to employer. To be honest it's a deal breaker for me, but only if it's not the norm over here.
The way it worked in one company where I was employed was that, while no vacation had been earned until the end of the first year, you could take some. That it wasn't earned until the end of the year only mattered if you left the firm before one year of service; in that case some amount equivalent to the holiday pay would be owed to the firm. I think this is a fairly common arrangement in jobs that have holiday pay however, I think the trend is away from paying for vacations, sick leave, statutory holidays and so on; neither I nor my partner are paid for any of these. I think we'll see more jobs become strictly "an hour's pay for an hour worked".
Old Dec 17th 2008, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what province you are going to, but in Saskatchewan you get a day and a quarter a month vacation. That comes to 15 days a year or three weeks holidays but you usually can't take a holiday until you have worked for a year. I have never heard of a case where a new employee doesn't get paid for stat holidays, except if they are a casual worker and then I think you have to work the day before and after - something like that. Permanent employees always get paid. At least in my experience they do.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

dormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to beholddormy is a splendid one to behold

This is all new to me. I did know that the actual holiday entitlement is lower, and was expecting that, but I wasn't expecting no paid holidays for a year. When I first saw it I thought it was a mistake. Judging by the replies it's not unknown, but is far removed from what I'm used to.
sounds about right to me, although I had no paid vacation until the end of the financial year; i.e. if you start in May you have no vacation until the following january, then you only get what you have accrued the previous year, so in this case you would only get 7 days the following year, as you only accrue 1 day per month up to a max of 10 days. It ususally takes up to 2 years employment to be able to accrue your 10days vacation!

My company does not pay stat days until you have passed your probation of 60 working days, approx 3 months, so not only do you not get paid but you have to work them instead of a more "senior" employee as they would have to pay the double & half time, this way they save a fortune.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:22 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

From the replies I have seen, it does seem as though it varies from employer to employer. To be honest it's a deal breaker for me, but only if it's not the norm over here.
Negotiate with the man, sell your soul if you have to, your soul for vacation time. He'll respect you for fighting your corner, providing you fight nice.

R.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:43 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dormy

My company does not pay stat days until you have passed your probation of 60 working days, approx 3 months, so not only do you not get paid but you have to work them instead of a more "senior" employee as they would have to pay the double & half time, this way they save a fortune.
In NS, with a few exceptions, this looks liek it's illegal. NS seems to be similar to BC. You are entitled to the stat holiday as paid vacation if you are entitled to receive pay for at least 15 of the 30 calendar days before the holiday and
have worked the last scheduled shift or day before the holiday and the first scheduled shift or day after the holiday.

http://www.gov.ns.ca/lwd/employmentr...holidaypay.asp

Know your rights!
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:51 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Every province has employment standards. These are available online. It pays to read them and know what you are entitled to. Saying that, if you make a complaint, it may not help your relationship with your employer or employability in an industry if word gets around, which it often does.

Which is most important, the, being able to live in Canada (with the same conditions everyone else lives with) and a job, or getting the most vacation time?
If it is the latter, maybe Canada is not the right place.
Old Dec 17th 2008, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Which is most important, the, being able to live in Canada (with the same conditions everyone else lives with) and a job, or getting the most vacation time?
If it is the latter, maybe Canada is not the right place.
It's not about getting the most vacation, as I am fully aware of the need (and indeed fully prepared) to take a reduced vacation level. This particular job is saying no paid vacation - which is of course completely different. I want to live in Canada, but want some time off to enjoy it with the kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.