Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No options for Canadian Ex. Pats on latest UK QROP's listing

No options for Canadian Ex. Pats on latest UK QROP's listing

Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

Kentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond reputeKentonmag has a reputation beyond repute
Default No options for Canadian Ex. Pats on latest UK QROP's listing

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...-schemes-qrops

Despite the fact there are supposed to be Canadian Company's applying to be added to the UK recognized list for pension fund transfers from the UK, nothing has been added to yesterdays new listings. Usually the list is updated every 2 months.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 3:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No options for Canadian Ex. Pats on latest UK QROP's listing

Damn! I really need to move mine from Scotia as soon as possible.
Old Apr 19th 2017, 6:44 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...s-then-893613/
Old Apr 19th 2017, 7:02 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CDNReturner
Damn! I really need to move mine from Scotia as soon as possible.
Hey CDNReturner. I am in the same boat but my QROPs is not with another provider. Can I ask why you want to move away from Scotia?
Old Apr 19th 2017, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

CDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond reputeCDNReturner has a reputation beyond repute

You know all that business about the banks wanting too much out of us that was all over the news a couple of weeks ago. When they asked for more money from me 6 months ago it just didn't sit right with me. I refused to sign the paperwork so they could charge me more. Now I know I was right to feel that way and move my portfolio out of Scotia. So I kind of fell out with my FA. So in the last 4 weeks my portfolio has been moved elsewhere but the damn QROPS is stuck with Scotia. And my Scotia FA isn't happy about it because the amount I now have invested with him is below the amount of their preferred clientle.
Old Apr 20th 2017, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

ukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

I too am trying to move my QROPS from Scotia. Didn't happen.......

The institution I am trying to move to was also QROPS designated and we know how that went.

Anyways I asked the question of when, if ever, the funds where not under restriction of HMRC.

The reply I got is as follows:

Our client also had this question:
The one question I would have is when is it that the funds are no longer under HRMC restrictions? That would give us an idea of when we could move them if ever.

This is our head office response:
The regulations we follow, which should be the same at Scotia Bank, would be:
If the funds were received prior to April 5 2015 and the client has resided out of the UK for more than 5 UK tax years, the test period, the client can transfer out of the QROPS to a regular RSP. At XXXXXXXX a client signs a redemption declaration form attesting to the test period and we can then transfer to a non-QROPS RSP. We report the transfer to the HMRC.
If the funds were received after April 5 2015, the client will need to be 55 years or older and outside the test period to transfer out of the QROPS RSP to a non-QROPS RSP, again by signing our redemption declaration. We report the transfer to the HMRC.

With the transfer being reported to HMRC we are unsure of the tax implication, if any in the UK.

So good advice or totally duff????

We were moving our funds due to a falling out with the FA who we do not deal with and the one we are dealing with seems better. The rate of return less fees should be about the same as where I am moving it to.

Thoughts anyone?? The whole thing has me in circles trying to fully understand the rules and changes and what we can and can't do without getting taxed.

Cheers
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:09 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukcanuck
So good advice or totally duff????
There is no advice there. They have just explained what the new law says and they are right.

Originally Posted by ukcanuck
Thoughts anyone?? The whole thing has me in circles trying to fully understand the rules and changes and what we can and can't do without getting taxed.
The answer to this would depend on whether you transferred your QROPs to Canada before April 5, 2015 or after? And also, currently how old are you.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:40 am
Forum Regular

ukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeukcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Edo

I read quite a few articles and posts on other forums about bad advice and people being taxed. We had bad advice when we moved it over here so I guess we are wary.

We moved it before 2015 and I am under 55. Ben out for more than the 5 years do it looks like we should be ok.

Thanks again
Old Apr 21st 2017, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

From what is being said above, that although I transferred after April 5, 2015 (tried to do it before but it was so slow), I can transfer to a regular RSP because I'm over 60 and been back in Canada 12 years.
Old Apr 21st 2017, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

misplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond reputemisplacedheidi has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Edo;12234471]There is no advice there. They have just explained what the new law says and they are right.
/QUOTE]

Can you point out to me where that link is? I have had a poke around and can't find it.

Thanks.
Heidi
Old Apr 24th 2017, 8:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

I think that some Canadian financial institutions will make an appearance on the ROPS list, but I suspect it will take a few months if not a year or so yet.

In the meantime, like others, I will simply be checking the ROPS list every month!
Old Apr 25th 2017, 9:11 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

I moved mine across to Bank of Montreal (BMO) RRSP scheme several years ago? I am Surprised to see nothing from Canada at all.