Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

no more contributions from me

no more contributions from me

Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:46 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: no more contributions from me

Originally Posted by Caitilin
Yes but at this point they have my UK motorcycle licence, and as it stood as per my post, I was going to get back a canadian car and motorcycle licence.

As it stands now, I don't see that happening. And otherwise I would have kept the original UK licence and taken the test here again so I could have at least ridden this summer (90 days to exchange the licence).

So I lose out by losing a summer of biking. Or the cost of the test. That may be peanuts to some of you, but I'm on a very tight budget, and its not an essential so I will probably end up just losing it.
Do you have the old or new style license from the UK?

The old license had the M/C on it when you passed the driving test whereas the new style license in the UK you have to take seperately?

I'm just thinking this may be why you were given the license???

Sorry I am only trying to help like you.

I also understand about the money and perhaps if things are tight for you then you may not have been able to afford the insurance? I'm not sure if you've researched this or not but from what I hear M/C insurance in canada is quite costly!

I'm sorry i'm not the best person to talk to about this as I haven't ever had the desire to ride a M/C.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

danniek will become famous soon enough

^ She would have been given the licence as a mistake. Simple as that. It doesnt matter what version of the UK licence she has, the motorcycle is not a reciprocal licence here.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:49 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danniek
^ She would have been given the licence as a mistake. Simple as that. It doesnt matter what version of the UK licence she has, the motorcycle is not a reciprocal licence here.
That answers that then thank you.
Old Apr 3rd 2009, 11:49 pm
Forum Regular

No Problem
Old Apr 4th 2009, 12:09 am
Forum Regular

yorkie lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Holy crap!! Talk about jumping to conclusions Caitlin.
Some of us have been in Canada more than 5 minutes and when a person posts on this PUBLIC forum with "useful" advice, others may question the validity of that advice.
I and others that have moved here have lost their m/c entitlement when exchanging their U.K licences for the Alberta ones. I was only questionning the fact that a Lethbridge Registry had issued you both and if indeed the rules had changed. There was NEVER any malice only a query as to why you were issued both and on that question, MAYBE the rules had been relaxed so that there is now a reciprocal program.
I never gave any names (I dont know yours, other than 1st name!) but did as stated, speak to a person in my local registry who then spoke with someone in the Government to clarify this.
They informed me that they would be looking into this and that was that.
They also told me, as is their practice, that if any mistakes had occurred, then these would be rectified.
If you were NOT entitled to receive the m/c part on your alberta licence in the first place, then how can you be upset that you MAY now lose it?
Old Apr 4th 2009, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

RodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of lightRodRos&Co. is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by yorkie lad
Holy crap!! Talk about jumping to conclusions Caitlin.
Some of us have been in Canada more than 5 minutes and when a person posts on this PUBLIC forum with "useful" advice, others may question the validity of that advice.
I and others that have moved here have lost their m/c entitlement when exchanging their U.K licences for the Alberta ones. I was only questionning the fact that a Lethbridge Registry had issued you both and if indeed the rules had changed. There was NEVER any malice only a query as to why you were issued both and on that question, MAYBE the rules had been relaxed so that there is now a reciprocal program.
I never gave any names (I dont know yours, other than 1st name!) but did as stated, speak to a person in my local registry who then spoke with someone in the Government to clarify this.
They informed me that they would be looking into this and that was that.
They also told me, as is their practice, that if any mistakes had occurred, then these would be rectified.
If you were NOT entitled to receive the m/c part on your alberta licence in the first place, then how can you be upset that you MAY now lose it?
oh my, I love Canada but it really does infuriate me at times

today i was due to take my car licence, in NS, I hired a car and arrived, on time, for my test.... After looking at the documents from the hire company the examiner refused to do my test !!!! why???
because the documents I had been issued were photocopies,and he wanted to see the originals, the hire co. couldn't get the originals to me immediately and they refused to refund my money, I had taken a day off work and by christ i know they wouldn't have given me my M/C licence and when I eventually do get my car licence I will then have to re-sit my HGV licence.
Now if my OHs boss allows me to use 1 of their trucks (but there are insurance issues they are looking into) alls well and good if not I'm looking at doing an 8 or 12 week course!!!
I have held a car license in the UK for 22yrs, a M/C for 15 yrs and a HGV license for 10 yrs, no I cannot really afford to resit all these but if needs must then I will....
I do know of people in NS who haven't had to jump through these loops but hey ho I want to live here so be it.

As a previous poster said keep your head down and I do hope all go's well for you because I do understand how you feel

A very out of pocket but happy
Rosie
Old Apr 4th 2009, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

If you look at the ccmta.ca website, you'll find the details of the requirements for entering into a driving licence exchange programme with another country, and these are :-

- Determine if foreign jurisdiction has adequate internal controls, fraudulent document recognition processes, proper record keeping and security elements in the driver licence card itself.

- Determine what other jurisdictions the reciprocating jurisdiction has agreements with so as to avoid security issues.

- Verification of identity - consistent with CCMTA Oversight Committee working groups.

- Proof of residency - consistent with definition of residency developed by AAMVA - addresses situations of multiple residences, limits person to possess one licence.

- Authenticate documents presented at point of contact. (e.g. International ID Checking Guide)

- Licence surrendered or marked indicating non-valid in provincial jurisdiction.

- Notification of exchanged licences from reciprocating jurisdictions. Issuing jurisdiction agrees to cancel licence.

- Verify licence validity and status directly from foreign issuing jurisdiction to provincial jurisdiction.

- Valid licence is defined as not expired, revoked, suspended, withdrawn or cancelled by the issuing jurisdiction at the time it is presented for exchange. Expired licences may be processed through an exception procedure.

- Driver licence classification valid for exchange: passenger vehicle licences only (i.e. not commercial driver licenses or driver licences for motorcycle).

- Reserve the right to administer written and road tests.

- Retain medical and vision testing.

- Consult with Foreign Affairs Canada prior to signing agreement, if appropriate.

I would be very careful if I had been accidentally given a M/C licence on exchange, never knowing if I was ever to be prosecuted or involved in an accident that the facts might come to light. Then to be deemed to have been riding without a licence, and by extension without insurance, and all that might entail...
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:11 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john5655
I would be very careful if I had been accidentally given a M/C licence on exchange, never knowing if I was ever to be prosecuted or involved in an accident that the facts might come to light. Then to be deemed to have been riding without a licence, and by extension without insurance, and all that might entail...
Now that is an anal post!
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
Now that is an anal post!
I know that it may seem anal, but it is the truth.

As an example:

We had a client come into my office to renew her drivers licence. She was asked if she had any health conditions (diabetes, epilepsy, heart condition, ms) that could affect her driving. She said no, the clerk recorded the answer and the client signed the form stating that she was healthy.

Two weeks later, she has a seizure and caused a major accident on Deerfoot and took out another car and a lamp pole. She had been epileptic and on meds for 4 years. The gov came back to that piece of paper that she signed, and sued her for the damage to public property.

In the end, she was at fault for not disclosing the health condition, the gov won the court case and she was out the money.

So, yes, it may seem anal... but it could very well happen.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 1:32 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I know that it may seem anal, but it is the truth.

As an example:

We had a client come into my office to renew her drivers licence. She was asked if she had any health conditions (diabetes, epilepsy, heart condition, ms) that could affect her driving. She said no, the clerk recorded the answer and the client signed the form stating that she was healthy.

Two weeks later, she has a seizure and caused a major accident on Deerfoot and took out another car and a lamp pole. She had been epileptic and on meds for 4 years. The gov came back to that piece of paper that she signed, and sued her for the damage to public property.

In the end, she was at fault for not disclosing the health condition, the gov won the court case and she was out the money.

So, yes, it may seem anal... but it could very well happen.

1. Your case involves deceit, being issued a license by mistake does not.

2. For it to very well happen, the poster first has to be in an accident then the license issue has to come to light, what chance of that? She's more likely to die of secondhand smoke.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
1. Your case involves deceit, being issued a license by mistake does not.

2. For it to very well happen, the poster first has to be in an accident then the license issue has to come to light, what chance of that? She's more likely to die of secondhand smoke.
True. However, I was giving an example of how not acknowledging something can be detrimental. In the posters case, she has been told that it is not acceptable practice, she has been given the information and therefore cannot plead ignorance if it came down to it.

I am by no means saying that something WILL happen to her, but rather explaining that it CAN.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

she has been given the information and therefore cannot plead ignorance if it came down to it.
NoneTHEless SHE has sustainABLE deniaBILity, all WE can ask FOR in this life.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 2:29 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkie lad
Shame CIC doesn't have this policy instead of just apologising and leaving the errors as they are.
Old Apr 4th 2009, 10:43 am
Life is great!!

LISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant futureLISABOB has a brilliant future

Hi Caitlin

I hope it all works out for you.

Lisa
Old Apr 4th 2009, 10:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I am closing this thread now as any replies on it serve no purpose. The OP has made her 'announcement' so we are all now aware that she will not be posting much in the future.

Caitlin, if you have an issue with what Yorkie Boy said to you in the other thread (although I cannot see any reason to), then please take it up with him via PM.