Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No longer 'Top of the Food Chain' (?)

No longer 'Top of the Food Chain' (?)

Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:17 am
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all
Default No longer 'Top of the Food Chain' (?)

Apologies to moderators/everyone, but in the interests of relevancy i've reposted my last post from "To Take (or) Not Take My Cat?" as a new thread. Please tell me off if against any rules and i'll promise not to do it again......

Bearing in mind Canadians are most likely brought up understanding the nature, risk and likelihood of wild animal encounters - How do us brits go about figuring this stuff out? Where to wonder, precautions to take, from what i've just read coyotes can be rather interested in the under 7 age group and then there's the cougars http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...ar-attack.html

I do understand such attacks are likely 'considered rare' but if you do go wondering where do you get guidance, tips etc ("bears in this wood" type of stuff) or am i just being 'overly/unnecessarily concerned'.

Anyone got a handbook
Old Mar 6th 2010, 4:15 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No longer 'Top of the Food Chain' (?)

Originally Posted by Psyched
Apologies to moderators/everyone, but in the interests of relevancy i've reposted my last post from "To Take (or) Not Take My Cat?" as a new thread. Please tell me off if against any rules and i'll promise not to do it again......

Bearing in mind Canadians are most likely brought up understanding the nature, risk and likelihood of wild animal encounters - How do us brits go about figuring this stuff out? Where to wonder, precautions to take, from what i've just read coyotes can be rather interested in the under 7 age group and then there's the cougars http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...ar-attack.html

I do understand such attacks are likely 'considered rare' but if you do go wondering where do you get guidance, tips etc ("bears in this wood" type of stuff) or am i just being 'overly/unnecessarily concerned'.

Anyone got a handbook
I think you're right to be cautious, but if you're settling in/around Kamloops it's just a matter of using some common sense.

In urban areas here there are infrequent encounters with bears, usually in the fall when folk have been lazy about leaving garbage around. I've seen them along the river shoreline hunting for berries, wandering along more rural roads (still in city limits), and on the golf green I was aiming a 9 iron at (mum and 4 cubs). They regularly pass through by the creek at the boundary of my property and are no bother.

Coyotes are commonly found on the fringes of town where development meets open ground/bush. We see and hear them pretty much every night, and there's no doubt they'll attack a pet dog or cat, but they're generally not a threat to people and soon run off if challenged.

Cougars do inhabit this area, and there are usually a few sighting each year. A couple of people got attacked in separate incidents last year, one while hiking, the other while walking their dog near Sun Peaks. My property backs onto wilderness and I walk my dogs there regularly. I've seen cougar activity (deer pelts in trees), but don't get concerned as we're not their natural prey.

It'd be sensible to accompany younger kids if they want to explore the countryside, but once they're old enough that you're happy for them to take off on their own for the afternoon, the chances of an encounter with a bear or cougar are very slim - you just need to make them aware of the potential for it, and how to react.

We've also got black widow spiders which are easy to identify and squish, and various snakes, of which rattlers are the only ones to worry about, but you need to actively seek them out rather than worry about them being an issue.

Treat the wildlife with respect, and as one of the positive aspects to enjoy when moving here, rather than get too worried about it.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 7:14 pm
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Sound advice RICH, its common sense and don't take chances.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Psyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to allPsyched is a name known to all

Thanks RICH,

Thats exactly the type of insight i was hoping for!
Old Mar 6th 2010, 9:53 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by R I C H
We've also got black widow spiders which are easy to identify and squish, .
what!!!! i thought canada was too cold for spiders! i thought black widows were in the likes of australia, didnt know canada had spids that hurt - dont like spids .... bears, cougers whatever but spids - i dont do spids!!!!!!!!! mite have to rethink this whole thing now! didnt know canada had black widows ..... what other spids do they have poisonous ones like????
Old Mar 6th 2010, 10:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scottandsel
what!!!! i thought canada was too cold for spiders! i thought black widows were in the likes of australia, didnt know canada had spids that hurt - dont like spids .... bears, cougers whatever but spids - i dont do spids!!!!!!!!! mite have to rethink this whole thing now! didnt know canada had black widows ..... what other spids do they have poisonous ones like????
I see you have a real issue with "Spids"

As far as i'm aware they also have the 'Hobo Spider', and the 'Brown Recluse' as well as the 'Black widow'. Heres a link;

http://pestcontrolcanada.com/INSECTS/spiders.htm

Are you aware of the Rattlesnakes?

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=A1ARTA0007502

I was surprised too but from what i gather it all depends on where you are heading, so research your chosen areas regards the poisonous critters that are resident.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottandsel
The spids are pussycats compared to the mites.
Old Mar 6th 2010, 11:23 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

I see you have a real issue with "Spids"

As far as i'm aware they also have the 'Hobo Spider', and the 'Brown Recluse' as well as the 'Black widow'. Heres a link;

http://pestcontrolcanada.com/INSECTS/spiders.htm

Are you aware of the Rattlesnakes?

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=A1ARTA0007502

I was surprised too but from what i gather it all depends on where you are heading, so research your chosen areas regards the poisonous critters that are resident.
Some people won't immigrate to Australia becasue they are affraid of the wildlife But the wildlife in the USA and Canada kills more people then it does in Australia. North America has , alligators, sharks, cougers and mountain lions, Grizzly bears, polar bears, deadly Rattlesnakes and venomous spiders.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:15 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Some people won't immigrate to Australia becasue they are affraid of the wildlife But the wildlife in the USA and Canada kills more people then it does in Australia. North America has , alligators, sharks, cougers and mountain lions, Grizzly bears, polar bears, deadly Rattlesnakes and venomous spiders.
Oh good, we haven't had a thread about this in ages.
Old Mar 7th 2010, 12:27 am
Banned

bsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond reputebsmith has a reputation beyond repute

...paging Rae, paging Rae, could Rae come to the front desk please.....
Old Mar 7th 2010, 1:04 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
probably being mauled by a cougar in Vegas as we speak
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Anyone got a handbook

Okay, i'm resurrecting my old thread (briefly) as i have just found some interesting info that answers much of my original question. Much is common sense, though behavioural insight i also feel is valuable.

Right here's the links:-

Cougars
http://www.britishcolumbia.com/infor...ails.asp?id=11

Bears
http://www.britishcolumbia.com/information/detailreassuring10

Hope others find useful, reasuring..
Old Mar 31st 2010, 10:25 pm
not wired right

scottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of lightscottandsel is a glorious beacon of light

Snakes don't worry me .... spids do! scare the living bejeesus outta me!
Old Mar 31st 2010, 10:32 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bsmith
Here baby
Old Mar 31st 2010, 10:41 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Complete and utter tosh that was shown on a previous thread to be so. Please don't start lumping america in with canada for a start, then don't tell me I have to contend with polar bear attacks, and certainly don't even think of telling me that living in canada I am more at risk from the wildlife than I am in australia cause that is total bollox

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.