Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No longer happy

No longer happy

Old Aug 6th 2013, 12:58 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No longer happy

It seems to me that Canada is a good place for the middle aged. When you're young you want to be somewhere interesting and exciting. When you're old you want to be somewhere warm and unthreatening. Inbetween there's a period when you just don't want a lot of trouble. You're a young person so Canada doesn't work for you. Go somewhere else but remember, you'll have that phase in life when dull is good, get citizenship so you have the chance to come back for that.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

lottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
It seems to me that Canada is a good place for the middle aged. When you're young you want to be somewhere interesting and exciting. When you're old you want to be somewhere warm and unthreatening. Inbetween there's a period when you just don't want a lot of trouble. You're a young person so Canada doesn't work for you. Go somewhere else but remember, you'll have that phase in life when dull is good, get citizenship so you have the chance to come back for that.
I never really thought of it that way, but now you say it, that seems very true!

While I was over in the UK in July, my mum and her husband went on holiday to Prince Edwards Island, and loved it. They are both of retirement age now, and my mum mentioned how she'd love to move there one day in the future. Although P.E.I. definitely isn't boring, it's certainly not ideal for someone young like me to move when starting my own life and looking for careers, etc. It is, however a lovely place for people to retire to. What i'm getting at is, if my mum moved there, she wouldn't be taking me with her. So she'd be quite far away from me, regardless of where I stay. But I certainly don't want to spend the rest of my life here! xx
Old Aug 6th 2013, 3:48 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Don't lose sight of the fact that UK universities will enrol you as an overseas student; to qualify for the UK and EU rates for tuition, you will have to satisfy residency requirements (three years, residence in the UK), even if you are a UK citizen.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 4:20 am
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Don't lose sight of the fact that UK universities will enrol you as an overseas student; to qualify for the UK and EU rates for tuition, you will have to satisfy residency requirements (three years, residence in the UK), even if you are a UK citizen.
This is very true and there is no way around it (trust me, I tried). And whatever qualifications you get in Canada wouldn't only be good in Canada as they would easily transfer elsewhere. Maybe the solution is to do what so many others do - finish school here then go over there for a couple of years and then reevaluate where you want to live.

As others have said, visiting somewhere and living there are two very different things. Your memories of living there are your memories from childhood, which is vastly different from adulthood.

You also have to consider the economy - where are you more likely to find a job? Depending on what field you choose to go into (ie. if you choose wisely), you could end up working for a company for which you would regularly have to travel back to Britain so that could give you the best of both worlds (a friend of mine went over to live in London for a couple of years, married an English guy who then moved back here with her, and his job requires him to travel back to Britain for a week or two every six to eight weeks).

Then there is housing...if you want to own a house you have to consider the costs of buying a home in both Canada and Britain and figure out where that goal might be more attainable.

As for your children having a Canadian accent - trust me, as a parent I can tell you that that won't matter one iota. Not one. Your child could grow up speaking Swahili and that wouldn't make them feel any less yours.

I understand your desire to go over there as I, too, often think that I would like to move back there (I was born in Canada to Scottish parents but we moved back home to Scotland when I was only a few months old and lived there for a few years before returning to Canada). But the more that I think about it, the more doubts I have. With the economy, government over-regulation, etc. I am not sure I could handle living there permanently. As much as I love visiting, and have lived over there for 6-8 months at a time as an adult, there is a big difference between visiting, or living there for several months, and living there permanently. I am not saying that you shouldn't do it, just that you should think very carefully about how and when you do it (ie. after finishing school here) and should not make any rash decisions - make sure that you make a carefully considered decision and not a decision based primarily on an emotional impulse.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 8:56 am
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar
This is very true and there is no way around it (trust me, I tried). And whatever qualifications you get in Canada wouldn't only be good in Canada as they would easily transfer elsewhere. Maybe the solution is to do what so many others do - finish school here then go over there for a couple of years and then reevaluate where you want to live.

As others have said, visiting somewhere and living there are two very different things. Your memories of living there are your memories from childhood, which is vastly different from adulthood.

You also have to consider the economy - where are you more likely to find a job? Depending on what field you choose to go into (ie. if you choose wisely), you could end up working for a company for which you would regularly have to travel back to Britain so that could give you the best of both worlds (a friend of mine went over to live in London for a couple of years, married an English guy who then moved back here with her, and his job requires him to travel back to Britain for a week or two every six to eight weeks).

Then there is housing...if you want to own a house you have to consider the costs of buying a home in both Canada and Britain and figure out where that goal might be more attainable.

As for your children having a Canadian accent - trust me, as a parent I can tell you that that won't matter one iota. Not one. Your child could grow up speaking Swahili and that wouldn't make them feel any less yours.

I understand your desire to go over there as I, too, often think that I would like to move back there (I was born in Canada to Scottish parents but we moved back home to Scotland when I was only a few months old and lived there for a few years before returning to Canada). But the more that I think about it, the more doubts I have. With the economy, government over-regulation, etc. I am not sure I could handle living there permanently. As much as I love visiting, and have lived over there for 6-8 months at a time as an adult, there is a big difference between visiting, or living there for several months, and living there permanently. I am not saying that you shouldn't do it, just that you should think very carefully about how and when you do it (ie. after finishing school here) and should not make any rash decisions - make sure that you make a carefully considered decision and not a decision based primarily on an emotional impulse.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 12:37 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
+ 1 - very well put indeed.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 1:49 pm

TwoWorlds is an unknown quantity at this point

To add to this well written post.

Not sure if you have citizenship from Canada but there are working holiday visa for young people (18-31).

As a CDN, I visited England and Scotland as my dad is of Scottish/English heritage. I decided to get a working holiday visa in my 20s (after completing uni here given that I would not be able to afford international student fees) and having lived in Sydney, OZ for a year already.

You are young. Explore the world rather than returning to something that you think you long for. Also, your mum sounds happy -- but that's just that - your mum's happiness.

My mum use to tell me at a young age - take the bull by the horns, then you ride it to your heart's content!!

Praying this conflicted state your in will be over soon and that you can live your life and enjoy it!!

Good luck eh! (proud of my CDN accent with a hint of English accent)
Old Aug 6th 2013, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

headingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to allheadingwest is a name known to all

It's a big world, go see it and get some perspective while you are young and happy to put up with long bus rides and queasy tummies from travelling all night to save a bit of money.

2-yrs from now you don't want to miss complainipants dreaming about the UK and have done nothing.

Get 2 jobs, work long horrible hours for 6 mos & keep your eye on the prize. Don't buy a car, ride a bicycle instead if you need to commute & save every penny you earn. Then go to an army surplus shop and buy a cheap bergen, stitch on a small union jack instead of a maple leaf. Everything you need will easily fit inside.

Buy a one way ticket to the UK on air transat, check yourself into a youth hostel and go explore the UK & europe for a few months. Work a bit here and there but don't stay in one place too long, meet other like minded people, keep going as long as you can or forever.

When you are young the world is yours, you just need the courage to act, the motivation to keep saving the first few months and the bottle to get on that airplane and wave goodbye.

Thats what I did several years ago in a slightly different direction.

Once the kids are off hand the wife and I will do the same again. Premium economy of course...
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

lottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond reputelottie95 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by headingwest
It's a big world, go see it and get some perspective while you are young and happy to put up with long bus rides and queasy tummies from travelling all night to save a bit of money.

2-yrs from now you don't want to miss complainipants dreaming about the UK and have done nothing.

Get 2 jobs, work long horrible hours for 6 mos & keep your eye on the prize. Don't buy a car, ride a bicycle instead if you need to commute & save every penny you earn. Then go to an army surplus shop and buy a cheap bergen, stitch on a small union jack instead of a maple leaf. Everything you need will easily fit inside.

Buy a one way ticket to the UK on air transat, check yourself into a youth hostel and go explore the UK & europe for a few months. Work a bit here and there but don't stay in one place too long, meet other like minded people, keep going as long as you can or forever.

When you are young the world is yours, you just need the courage to act, the motivation to keep saving the first few months and the bottle to get on that airplane and wave goodbye.

Thats what I did several years ago in a slightly different direction.

Once the kids are off hand the wife and I will do the same again. Premium economy of course...
I really like the idea of travelling; it's something I would LOVE to do... But what about my education? How would I get enough money?

I feel like because of the position I'm in, I have to work really hard to get where I want to be and actually have fun.

Oh, and my Canadian citizenship is still in process, and will be done sometime in 2014, apparently. Which could be anywhere from January-December next year. I'm currently a permanent resident, and just got it renewed last month. x
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TwoWorlds
To add to this well written post.

Not sure if you have citizenship from Canada but there are working holiday visa for young people (18-31).

As a CDN, I visited England and Scotland as my dad is of Scottish/English heritage. I decided to get a working holiday visa in my 20s (after completing uni here given that I would not be able to afford international student fees) and having lived in Sydney, OZ for a year already.

You are young. Explore the world rather than returning to something that you think you long for. Also, your mum sounds happy -- but that's just that - your mum's happiness.

My mum use to tell me at a young age - take the bull by the horns, then you ride it to your heart's content!!

Praying this conflicted state your in will be over soon and that you can live your life and enjoy it!!

Good luck eh! (proud of my CDN accent with a hint of English accent)
Could you, or anyone else explain more to me about the working holiday visa for young people? Sorry I have so many questions, I've just had so much feedback, so thank you so much, to everyone! x
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you for this response.
I'm really grateful for the realistic feedback I'm getting, even though it all feels like a lot to take in and think about!

My education is something I'm particularly concerned about; but having some qualifications behind me would be the most sensible thing to do before I try and get out there. If that means that staying here for a few more years then I may just have to put up with it! I'll still get to visit England in the meantime.

I'm not so sure about having two houses; I feel more like I want to find one place I'm happy and settle down there. I do like travelling, but I feel like going back and forth between the two countries would get quite stressful, i'd prefer to come back and visit every so often like I'm currently doing with the UK.

I agree that it's not wise to make a decision based on an emotional impulse - my education needs to be sorted out before I do anything! x
Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lottie95

I'm not so sure about having two houses; I feel more like I want to find one place I'm happy and settle down there. I do like travelling, but I feel like going back and forth between the two countries would get quite stressful, i'd prefer to come back and visit every so often like I'm currently doing with the UK.

I didn't say you should have two houses. I said that, if you want to own a home, you have to figure out in which of the two countries that goal is more attainable and then factor that into your decision.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 6:27 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't say you should have two houses. I said that, if you want to own a home, you have to figure out in which of the two countries that goal is more attainable and then factor that into your decision.
That's an extraordinarily materialist point of view. Granted most people move to Canada for the sake of having more stuff but surely a young person should have hopes and dreams, should seek to make a point of his or her life, not shape life around the potential financial arrangements concerning accomodation.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 6:37 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Lottie, plenty of people your age spend a year or two traveling before buckling down to get their education. Do you know for definite, exactly what you want to study and spend the rest of your life doing? If you do that's great.

My Lottie doesn't, she has been bombarded with too many options which has confused her, so she is doing grade 13, making sure some of her grades are increased, while she continues with her cadet career until she ages out, also while she waits for her citizenship, because without it, it is actually scuppering some of her plans

Do you work? Do you have savings? That is how you fund your traveling, to get a visa you might have to be a citizen (others on here may know of a way around it?)http://travel.gc.ca/travelling/publi...working-abroad

I wish I had traveled more when I was your age, which is why I suppose I am encouraging my daughter to do so, mine is thinking of joining the Forces so she has to get Citizenship 1st, so the best thing she can do imo is save like mad and travel a little bit, the processing is taking nearly 2 years, so grade 13 until next June and then travel and then join up/college, sounds great to me lol

What you have not got to do is obsess one way or the other, have you spoken to your Mum yet?
Old Aug 7th 2013, 12:38 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lottie95
Could you, or anyone else explain more to me about the working holiday visa for young people? Sorry I have so many questions, I've just had so much feedback, so thank you so much, to everyone! x
Hi Lottie

Based on what you've described, I doubt you would need a working holiday visa to work in the UK and elsewhere in the European Union. I'm assuming you have a British passport? If not, and you were born in the UK of one or two British parents, then you are a British citizen and can apply for one.

This is where Brits get their working holiday visas in case you were wondering:
http://www.bunac.org/

Agree with what others have said. Travel when you are young, you don't need to rush into your studies its fine to take a year out, and enjoy your experiences! Sometimes living in another country makes you appreciate your own more.

LF

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.