British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   No live trace and job interviews and clearance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/no-live-trace-job-interviews-clearance-941500/)

SyH Nov 10th 2021 4:26 pm

No live trace and job interviews and clearance

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and looking for some advice.
I have dual U.K. Canadian citizenship and lived solely U.K. since birth but am moving to Canada later this year. In preparation I recently and successfully completed two interviews and was offered jobs for both. I was not asked about my criminal record but asked to do checks and submit them. Both jobs are in Alberta and require a clear record check but, I can’t work out exactly what this means.

Both jobs involve working with vulnerable people and as such require an enhanced level of clearance. I’m used to this in the U.K.and know where I stand because of the work I do, plus my job has a protected tittle status and requires registration and enhanced checks. That said, I do have a criminal record. As a youth i had a difficult past and lost my way for a while, during which time I racked up two convictions, one for arson and burglary of a non dwelling, and the other for swearing and using language likely to cause fear or provocation. I had probation for the 1st, a fine and a 12 month suspended sentence for the 2nd. The first conviction was aged 16 and the other at 18.5. I don’t have issues with rehabilitation as I know I know I’m deemed rehabilitated however, it will show up as “no live trace” on my international police check and I was wondering how I should handle this. My question is; ; do I have to disclose or is no live trace deemed equivalent to a record suspension? Has anyone else been in the position?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Farmer on a bike Nov 11th 2021 2:48 am

Re: No live trace and job interviews and clearance

Did one not long ago CRC and VS, the check came back clear, then on the form for the agency requesting the check asked
'have you been charged or convicted of a criminal offence outside of Canada?'
Any VS searches are going to be more thorough and further reaching.

SyH Nov 11th 2021 6:29 am

Hi Farmer on a bike.
thank you for taking the time to reply.
Yes I agree, a vulnerable sector check will be more detailed (as they should be) and, Im guessing something will show as it does on my U.K. enhanced DBS but it’s whether it’s still a ‘no live trace’ or every detail😬. I will getting the international Child protection certificate via ACRO.
You don’t mention how you responded to the agency question about a CR but, I believe you are allowed to say ‘no’ to that question, if your record has been suspended. Like many before me I’m sure, a lot is riding on this CR VS check and Canada’s possible interpretation of it. Alberta doesn’t have laws about discriminating against those with historical records…mine btw is over 24 years ago!

PMM Nov 11th 2021 6:29 pm

Hi

Originally Posted by SyH (Post 13070318)
Hi Farmer on a bike.
thank you for taking the time to reply.
Yes I agree, a vulnerable sector check will be more detailed (as they should be) and, Im guessing something will show as it does on my U.K. enhanced DBS but it’s whether it’s still a ‘no live trace’ or every detail😬. I will getting the international Child protection certificate via ACRO.
You don’t mention how you responded to the agency question about a CR but, I believe you are allowed to say ‘no’ to that question, if your record has been suspended. Like many before me I’m sure, a lot is riding on this CR VS check and Canada’s possible interpretation of it. Alberta doesn’t have laws about discriminating against those with historical records…mine btw is over 24 years ago!

1. With a "no live trace" on the CRC, CIC knows that there is a conviction that has been stepped down. They will most likely request that you get details of the conviction before any application would be processed.

Former Lancastrian Nov 11th 2021 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by PMM (Post 13070490)
Hi

1. With a "no live trace" on the CRC, CIC knows that there is a conviction that has been stepped down. They will most likely request that you get details of the conviction before any application would be processed.

I am wondering why CIC/IRCC would even be involved as the OP is a Canadian citizen:sneaky:

SyH Nov 11th 2021 6:50 pm

Hi PMM, thank you for your reply.
I am lucky enough to already have clearance from CIC who have deemed me rehabilitated, im as Im a dual citizenship and moving out to Canada next month. I have been offered two jobs, both requiring vulnerable sector checks and police checks, this is my concern. I think I’m supposed to do an English police (ACRO certificate) as the U.K. is where I have lived my entire life. Is it possible I don’t do this and only need a Canadian police certificate?

SyH Nov 11th 2021 6:58 pm

Hi, former Lancastrian, thank you for your reply.
I enquired a few years ago where I stood Canada wise with my record and went through a formal application of I enquiry. I received a formal response to say my U.K. record was deemed steeped down/ suspended. Although Canadian, nobody was sure how to handle the request as I’d lived my entire life in the U.K. Eventually I was advised to enquire through the CIC route!

Former Lancastrian Nov 11th 2021 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by SyH (Post 13070504)
Hi PMM, thank you for your reply.
I am lucky enough to already have clearance from CIC who have deemed me rehabilitated, im as Im a dual citizenship and moving out to Canada next month. I have been offered two jobs, both requiring vulnerable sector checks and police checks, this is my concern. I think I’m supposed to do an English police (ACRO certificate) as the U.K. is where I have lived my entire life. Is it possible I don’t do this and only need a Canadian police certificate?

If you are a Canadian citizen even with dual citizenship why would you have needed to be found rehabilitated? If this is the case then the vulnerable checks are nothing to do with Immigration requirements.
Perhaps this link might answer some of your questions

https://www.edmontonpolice.ca/Commun...leSectorChecks

Gozit Nov 11th 2021 7:01 pm

Originally Posted by SyH (Post 13070163)
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and looking for some advice.
I have dual U.K. Canadian citizenship and lived solely U.K. since birth but am moving to Canada later this year. In preparation I recently and successfully completed two interviews and was offered jobs for both. I was not asked about my criminal record but asked to do checks and submit them. Both jobs are in Alberta and require a clear record check but, I can’t work out exactly what this means.

Both jobs involve working with vulnerable people and as such require an enhanced level of clearance. I’m used to this in the U.K.and know where I stand because of the work I do, plus my job has a protected tittle status and requires registration and enhanced checks. That said, I do have a criminal record. As a youth i had a difficult past and lost my way for a while, during which time I racked up two convictions, one for arson and burglary of a non dwelling, and the other for swearing and using language likely to cause fear or provocation. I had probation for the 1st, a fine and a 12 month suspended sentence for the 2nd. The first conviction was aged 16 and the other at 18.5. I don’t have issues with rehabilitation as I know I know I’m deemed rehabilitated however, it will show up as “no live trace” on my international police check and I was wondering how I should handle this. My question is; ; do I have to disclose or is no live trace deemed equivalent to a record suspension? Has anyone else been in the position?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I'm sorry, what? A 12 month suspended sentence and fine for swearing in public? :unsure:

SyH Nov 11th 2021 7:18 pm

Hi Gozbit,
Yup, you read it right! My solicitor at the time suggested the judge might have been having a rough week….possibly a rough life! Remember, it was along time ago. I doubt very much anything like that would happen now.

SyH Nov 11th 2021 7:37 pm

Hi again Former Lancastrian.
thank you for the link, I’ll take a look.
In answer to your question, It was was more with being able to move to Canada and work. My record is a U.K. one and will always show something on an enhanced U.K. DBS because I have two convictions however, I aware Canada views youth records differently and, as I was sponsoring my family also, I needed to know nothing would stop that. I also needed to know that if I moved to Canada I could work.For normal immigration purposes everyone does a basic ACRO certificate. I’m aware there is the standard ACRO certificate and that shows no live trace however, to be able to do the jobs I’ve just interviewed for I need the enhanced version of the ACRO police certificate which is the international child protection one. https://www.acro.police.uk/icpc/
I’m wondering what this will show and how I approach this with employers.