Reload this Page >

No High Tech jobs in Canada

No High Tech jobs in Canada

Old May 2nd 2003, 2:40 am
Just Joined

nova is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No High Tech jobs in Canada

I have been here for nearly a year in Canada's Capital

I can tell you first there aree more than 20,000 people out work here in High Tech

They are closing down companies daily

There are serious problems here

AND if you are not (FRENCH SPEAKING) first English speaking second

you have NO chance of getting a job
Old May 2nd 2003, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No High Tech jobs in Canada

Originally posted by nova
I have been here for nearly a year in Canada's Capital

I can tell you first there aree more than 20,000 people out work here in High Tech

They are closing down companies daily

There are serious problems here

AND if you are not (FRENCH SPEAKING) first English speaking second

you have NO chance of getting a job

Are you sure it's not just the backlash from the "Internet Bubble" which created an unrealistic High Tech job market (and stock prices) in the first place?
Old May 2nd 2003, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

ljeds is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear your situation. It is very, very tough for IT / High tech jobs right now.
I don't know your details but it does show the importance of research prior to moving --- it is almost mandatory to speak French in Ottawa -- that is nothing new. Also -- high tech has been spiraling downwards everywhere and as Ottawa was a "hotspot" for a while it gets hit even harder.
So often you hear about people "moving to Canada" -- this shows the differences of WHERE you are talking about -- French is not nearly as critical outside of Ottawa or Quebec (it can help).

Good posting -- it is a warning to others. Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Old May 3rd 2003, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

On eo fthe biggest problems in the Ottawa area I think is Nortel. They employed way more hitech people before the bubble burst and so all those peopl ethey layed off are very experienced and qualified and so saturate the job market.
Old May 7th 2003, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

welcomehome is an unknown quantity at this point
Default no transcripts, what to do???

Hi ,

I had recently got a first Initial assesment and my interview was waived off.
1) Can someone reply to my questions??They have asked for recent paystubs & recent W2 returns but I am on leave since May2003 so Can I just Aprill2003 paystub ( is only one paystub ok??)
2)Also now that I will have to pay the fees too, if for any reason I decide not to go to canada after I receive the final landing papers, can I still be eligible for refund for RLOF??
3) They had asked for transcript along but in India no one gives or has transcript can someone tell me if this is mandatory???
4)Now that they had waived off my Interview, Can I still submit my medical within six months or do I have to send them along with other supporting docs asked by them?? If I dont sent the medicals immly and sent the other docs immly, what will be their stand?? Will they send me a letter asking me to send the medicals??
5) Once they get all papers, I guess they ask passport for stamping so is it ok, if I send my passport by some means or do I have to be physically present in the country??
Replies Appreciated !

Thanks
Old Aug 15th 2003, 3:30 am
Just Joined

ray52 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,

I am moving to Canada by this month end. I am in USA now and fortunately having a job in IT field.I am on H1B and to keep my PR, i have to move by this year end. How bad in the IT market? How can i find a job?can u recommend any specific city or area like mississauga, toronto,otawa,etc.? i know it is difficult but i have no way but to try even if it is too dry. please let me know what may be the best way to look for an IT job there. monster.ca or any other suggestion will help a lot.
thanks much in advance.
-ray
Old Aug 15th 2003, 2:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know if this link will be any help.

http://www.cotr.bc.ca/SES/internet_jobresources.htm

My sister works at the Job Store in Vancouver. She is the Manager. I know she has a tenant in her basement who worked in IT in England and he got a job quite quickly - within 3 weeks of arriving in Vancouver.

However, I also know that she said he was very experienced and that if you don't have the qualifications and experience = you will have a tough time of it.

Perhaps you could check out the above sites and see what results you get.

The Job Stores link is there too.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 3:47 pm
Just Joined

Thanks much..Do you know if Vancouver or the Toronto area can be a better choice for an IT job hunt. To me place does not matter, only I need a job. From the web site that you sent it seems there are jobs for people with 3/4 yrs of experience. I believe they will credit IT experience of USA. In USA many internet job postings are fake bcoz that helps employers process employees' green card. Is there anything similar in Canada?

Thanks!
-ray
Old Aug 15th 2003, 6:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

I dont know that. If there are email addresses, perhaps you could email them and ask - you could email the Vancouver Job Store and any others. Send them your resume and say you are looking for a job - tell them your whole story and I am sure they will give you an honest answer. I know my sister will - she will tell you the truth even if its an answer you dont want to hear!!
Old Aug 15th 2003, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Here you are -

http://thejobstores.com/locations.asp

That page has email addresses for all the Job Stores - I would think that Vancouver and Coquitlam might be the most likely, but you could ask all of them.

Perhaps you could attach your resume and see what advice they give. I think there are some free services and then you have to pay for some, but that would be worthwhile for you I think.
Old Aug 15th 2003, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

Thanks much! I will send them resume right today.There are 4 email addresses for different parts of BC in the web site.I will send them all.One should reach your sister. Will see what I hear..
Thanks.
-ray
Old Aug 15th 2003, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

BC Jobs

http://www.bcjobs.net/index.cfm

has lots of IT jobs. Whether they are real jobs or not you can't tell, but they certainly give detailed qualifications like they are genuine.

There is also a contact us button too, perhaps you could apply at all of these sites and see what transpires. You really have nothing to lose.