Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No Health Insurance and I leave in 2 weeks ?HELP

No Health Insurance and I leave in 2 weeks ?HELP

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Chris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of light
Default No Health Insurance and I leave in 2 weeks ?HELP

Hi folks

Can anyone give me some helpful info on Health Insurance I need to phone up on the monday, I leave the following tuesday I hope this is enough time ?
Its for an IEC visa.

But I only have a one way flight as I think most people would on a WHV becasue you dont know what will happen.
But I think alot of these health insurance companies want to see a return flight.

Can you advice me on ones that dont

I think even Backpacker, single trip & cheap travel insurance policies want proof of a return flight ?

I heard this one might be good as anyone heard of it ?

https://www.truetraveller.com/

How much should I have to pay for health insurance and dental insurance out there at the norm ? And hav I got enough time ?

Please anyone with any answers,
Thanks
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Health Insurance and I leave in 2 weeks ?HELP

Looks like True Traveller are underwritten by Prudential, various registration numbers (FCA) etc. at the bottom of that link you could follow up to check if you wanted.

This link, from your first link, just clicked on backpackers, tells you what to do if you haven't booked a flight home yet Backpacker Travel Insurance – low cost cover from Holidaysafe UK
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

Chris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of lightChris2222 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dashie
Looks like True Traveller are underwritten by Prudential, various registration numbers (FCA) etc. at the bottom of that link you could follow up to check if you wanted.

This link, from your first link, just clicked on backpackers, tells you what to do if you haven't booked a flight home yet Backpacker Travel Insurance – low cost cover from Holidaysafe UK
Hi Dashie

Thanks for looking at my question, I am sorry but what do you mean the truetraveller is underwritten by Prudential ? Is that a good or bad thing ?

Thanks for checking holidaysafe website for me, the thing is I got a quote from the girl across the phone about 2 months ago, she didnt have a clue what a working holiday in Canada even was .
And every question I asked about extending insurance incase I stayed longer I was just put on hold, I was put on hold at least 8 times, while she scrambled to find half an answer.
She did keep repeating I still need a return flight, then she changed her mind and she said well if you atleast have a GP appointment in a year or proof im coming back ( I dont know if that can be done at all nevermind 2 years ahead of time) And how would they see this proof ? is this to catch you out if you claim so they wont pay ?

Also thanks for that page , I hadnt found that before, thats great I was reading it but I notice too at the end it says at bottom of page

If you haven't booked your return ticket home yet, we can still cover you as long as you show intent (e.g. a place on a university course, etc.) to return to the UK.

This is the bit I cant get my head around, I dont know what to say.

Any advice anyone ? Thanks Dashie

Chris
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:30 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

http://https://www.caasco.com/Insura...tGroupID=10001Try this

Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Bats
That link you provided didnt work mate, is it this website you mean ?
Thanks

Travel Insurance - CAA South Central Ontario

I will be going to Calgary if that makes any difference. Thanks
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chris2222
Hi folks

But I only have a one way flight as I think most people would on a WHV becasue you dont know what will happen.

But I think alot of these health insurance companies want to see a return flight.
Where did you get the impression that most people on an IEC arrive on a one way ticket? You don't know what will happen? One thing is that health insurance companies won't deal with you.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:50 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bats
That link you provided didnt work mate, is it this website you mean ?
Thanks

Travel Insurance - CAA South Central Ontario

I will be going to Calgary if that makes any difference. Thanks
Yep, just google CAA insurance for visitors to Canada.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bats
Yep, just google CAA insurance for visitors to Canada.
Thanks Bats
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

First year I was on IEC, I used Flexicover, because they were cheapest (Check their twitter for discount codes). Second year, I needed to be covered while still in Canada, which meant I had to use TrueTraveller. Just use the websites and read all the information, it's far easier than trying to explain to people what you're doing.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Where did you get the impression that most people on an IEC arrive on a one way ticket? You don't know what will happen? One thing is that health insurance companies won't deal with you.
I am applying for a second year IEC visa so I may be out there for 2 years,
I may not find a job or apartment in 2 months So I could be back in 2 months or 2 weeks.
A flight would cost about £400 ,plus I cant even book a flight for January 2016 yet.
I dont know what area of Canada I may end up in, I think its quite normal for someone to not have a return flight on a WHV.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 11:05 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

A flight would cost about £400 ,plus I cant even book a flight for January 2016 yet.
You can book 12 months in advance or you can buy an open return. Often returns are cheaper than one way tickets, especially on a sched. carrier.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 11:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by KuroKuro
First year I was on IEC, I used Flexicover, because they were cheapest (Check their twitter for discount codes). Second year, I needed to be covered while still in Canada, which meant I had to use TrueTraveller. Just use the websites and read all the information, it's far easier than trying to explain to people what you're doing.
Hi there KuroKuro,
So would you suggest going with TrueTraveller from the start did you have any problems with them ? Are they the ones who don't ask for proof of return .i.e Flights, University etc
What was your opinion of dealing with TrueTraveller ? Any problems.

Also if I get a quote from a company, can I just get it on the same day ? or atleast before the end of the week ? Is it just a printed out email I show when I arrive in Canada showing my health insurance along with my othere documents ?
Could someone please clear that up for me, thanks again
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 11:10 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there KuroKuro,
So would you suggest going with TrueTraveller from the start did you have any problems with them ? Are they the ones who don't ask for proof of return .i.e Flights, University etc

Also if I get a quote from a company, can I just get it on the same day ? or atleast before the end of the week ? Is it just a printed out email I show when I arrive in Canada showing my health insurance along with my othere documents ?
You need to show proof of insurance detailing coverage, such as the certificate of cover, a receipt for the insurance is not enough. Some may E-mail it to you. I have arranged coverage and recieved certs within an hour, however it depends on your broker or underwriter.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

KuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond reputeKuroKuro has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there KuroKuro,

I've had no issues with either company, although I as yet haven't had to make any claims.

Both companies provide cover for people that take gap years and backpacker holidays... People who are off to see the world and don't have any concrete plans! They don't require to know when you're returning, but obviously the policy will have an end date, and you won't be covered from then on.

I found it way easier to use online because you basically just fill in all your information, then you're given the price, you say okay, fill in your credit details and then they email the policy/cert to you, usually within 48 hours. Print it out and have it on your person when you arrive in Canada.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Aviator
You can book 12 months in advance or you can buy an open return. Often returns are cheaper than one way tickets, especially on a sched. carrier.
Thanks Aviator, Yeah the thing is I am really hoping to land a second year IEC visa, all of my work the past few days has been going in to getting everything printed and signed before I leave so that has been taking up alot of my time, trying to secure a second visa at the moment.So it has sort of took up alot of my time, I cant even get a flight out of Glasgow to Canada,I have to go to London so it has been eating away at my budget, I was just sure I heard alot of people go out there without a return flight and get insurance with certain companies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.