Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

No GST Rebate for Visitors

No GST Rebate for Visitors

Old Sep 26th 2006, 6:12 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all
Default No GST Rebate for Visitors

Found this in the Globe and Mail about Mr Harper's new spending cuts :

"One of the biggest cuts hits foreign visitors to Canada. The Tories are eliminating the Goods and Services Tax rebate program, which allows foreigners to recoup the GST they pay while in the country."

Link - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

I'm a little unhappy tbh. I never bothered to claim back my tax the few times I have been before simply because my purchases rarely added up to much more than $50 on one receipt - though I promised myself to claim it back on a ring I bought for my ex.. by the time I hit the airport I had so little time to find the right desk, fill in the forms and join the horrendous queue for checkin I didn't bother...

But next time I would have! .lol.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 7:33 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No GST Rebate for Visitors

Originally Posted by windward
Found this in the Globe and Mail about Mr Harper's new spending cuts :

"One of the biggest cuts hits foreign visitors to Canada. The Tories are eliminating the Goods and Services Tax rebate program, which allows foreigners to recoup the GST they pay while in the country."

Link - http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl.../National/home

I'm a little unhappy tbh. I never bothered to claim back my tax the few times I have been before simply because my purchases rarely added up to much more than $50 on one receipt - though I promised myself to claim it back on a ring I bought for my ex.. by the time I hit the airport I had so little time to find the right desk, fill in the forms and join the horrendous queue for checkin I didn't bother...

But next time I would have! .lol.
I just came back from Halifax via Toronto and was told that you no longer need to have the receipts stamped. Just fill out the form and post it off with your receipts (which reminds me - they are still in my flight bag!).
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:01 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Yes-can-do
I just came back from Halifax via Toronto and was told that you no longer need to have the receipts stamped. Just fill out the form and post it off with your receipts (which reminds me - they are still in my flight bag!).
And then wait for a cheque in C$. I used to just sign the back and hand them over to my OH, who would then post them to her mum in QC for depositing into her account.
Old Sep 26th 2006, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
And then wait for a cheque in C$. I used to just sign the back and hand them over to my OH, who would then post them to her mum in QC for depositing into her account.
The last few ones I had were in GBP drawn on a bank in London iirc, that must've been before May 2005...

I'm not bothered about the refund now I'm no longer eligible At least it'll be the end of those companies who put phoney forms at airports to skim a bit off the top.

Has anyone claimed a VAT refund on leaving the UK? I read the leaflet but got a bit confused about which retailers would do it...
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:20 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Has anyone claimed a VAT refund on leaving the UK? I read the leaflet but got a bit confused about which retailers would do it...
Never even heard of it. The better half got her year's Income Tax and NI back before she left England but I don't remember her getting any VAT...
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

The Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to beholdThe Smiths is a splendid one to behold

The last few ones I had were in GBP drawn on a bank in London iirc, that must've been before May 2005...

I'm not bothered about the refund now I'm no longer eligible At least it'll be the end of those companies who put phoney forms at airports to skim a bit off the top.

I'm sure I've seen a sign for tax free shopping at M&S.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:33 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Ah yes, Mrs AX did that one year on her engagement ring when leaving UK for a trip home!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice

I don't know why we bothered doing it the last couple of times as we never got the money back anyway!

Zoe M. x
Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:26 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

We just claimed ours back when we returned to the UK. Unfortunately a couple of the motel bills were in my name so it meant two claims (they wouldnt class them as one) and we both received cheques back in CDN$, I think it cost us something like £7 each with Nationwide to bank them.